Question on suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    Does anyone know if the chief in Scott,LA will sign off on a suppressor? I live in lafayette parish but inside of scott city limits, so that should be the chief and not sheriff no sign? I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to go. thanks

jreynolds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I am pretty sure if you start a corp or llc you don't have to get the sheriff to sign off. It will cost you $75 to start a corp. through the secretary of state. Just go to the secretary of state website and print the forms, fill them out, and mail them with your check and you are done.

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    I am aware of the llc or trust way to go, but I was just wondering about the chief in scott. I guess I could ask him? I think a face to face to talk to him about it would be better than just calling up and asking. We know each other, not buddies hanging out on the weekends or anything, and I didn't get to know him from getting in trouble either. If it is easier to get a leo sign off than going through all the paperwork of starting a llc or trust, then I would rather do that, however if the latter is the better way to go, (in the long run) I would like to go that way. I'm just testing the water right now, not ready to jump in, but when I make the jump I want all my ducks lined up so I'm not scrambling or spending more money than I have too.

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    the easiest way to go is going with a Trust.

My sister is an attorney, she could draw up the trust for me. In a trust of llc anyone I want can use it without me being there? I would put my dad on it and my wife, not the she has any interest in it but in case something happens to me she will have a legal right to have it until they figure out what to do with it.

With a LEO sign off I'm the only person to have possession of it, correct?

We have a lease in Texas, will I be able to have it out there too, or am I not allowed to leave the state?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    In a trust you can list others as co-trustees but I'm not sure how many are allowed in a LA trust. LLC can have other officers who all have access to the goods. Best to keep a copy of papers with you to avoid uninformed interest from being a problem.

You can travel to other states with suppressors as long as they are allowed in the state you are going. I bring some to MS everytime I travel to the hunting lease. No travel forms are required from ATF but some do it to CYA. If you are bringing other items that require forms to travel, such as MG, SBR, ect., just get one for your can while you are at it. They are free and good for up to a year.

Good Luck

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    i'm the Grantor of the Trust, my brother is my Trustee, i don't know if there's a limit on the number of trustees but i doubt there is one. basically he can legally possess any of the guns/rifles listed on my Schedule A. and it's a great idea to have you wife on there, just in case, she does have a legal right to your property. basically, that's all a Trust is doing, giving someone legal rights to your property.

oh, and every since setting one up, which was pretty painless, just needed 2 witnesses to sign and get it notarized, i've sent in Form 1's and it's been pretty quick, about 65 days door to door.

Last edited:

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    Thanks for the help!! I'm going to post this question, but I will search the forum too, Is there a generic copy of a trust that I can look at to see how they are set up?

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    Yeah, I saw it after I posted.

So could I change the wording to make me the settler, then me, my wife, and dad, the trustees, then me and my wife beneficiaries? I want a suppressor for my ar, maybe a sbr later, as for now just the suppressor. I know I can add to the assets of the trust. My dad doesn't need to be anything but a trustee so he can use it when I'm not around. My wife, for the sole reason if something happens to me she'll be able to sell it or add, say her brother to the trust or sell it. Of course if something happened to me she wouldn't know what to do when she would open the safe, maybe I should leave a note.

I guess I could use the trust in the sticky, and just add dad as another trustee and keep everything else the same. Can people in the trust be the witnesses too, or do you need separate witnesses?

Can someone recommend a good suppressor for an ar, I looked at Red Jacket's website and am leaning that way because he is in state.

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    I went with Allison and Allison in Houma. They drew up the trust and I've had no problems with it at all. Just waiting on a phone call to go pick up my Element.

Top Bottom