Local knife sharpening?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    My CRKT M16 needs a sharpening and I don't have the supplies or the skills. I'd be willing to pay a nominal fee for someone to give it a good edge.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    +1... after 5 months of use the edge on my kershaw is finally getting a little dull. I'll probably wait for my dad to get back in town

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you drive through Laplace at all...
    The Sharpening Center on W. 5th St. did a good job on my Spyderco (even with the serrated edge). I think the cost was around $5 or $6, and that included fixing the broken tip- next time I won't use my knife for a screwdriver!

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There is a girl that works at Hebert's, her b/friend sharpened my Benchmade for $3.00. I could shave with it. Unfortunitly, I lost the damn knife about 2 months later, pissed me off so friging bad!
    I bought a crkt m16 to hold me over until i can find another benchmade like the one i had, that won't cost me an arm and leg. I was wanting to upgrade to an auto anyway, but I still want to keep the knife.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've known Heather (the girl at Hebert's) since high school, cool chick. I'll have to ask about knife sharpening next time I go in. I can get a decent edge now after a bit of practice, but sharper is always better. knife of choice is a Kershaw Scallion right now. I'd love an auto but dont feel like paying an arm and a leg for most of the decent ones

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Man, you should have posted that 24 hours earlier. I was in there yesterday buying a pocket holster and some 357 and could have asked. :(

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I need a sharpening too. Does Heberts do it while you wait?

My Spyderco tip is a little rough too after using for a screwdriver one too many times. We need a group sharpening party at Hooters since everyone likes fake boobs so much.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Fellas,

You wanna pay somebody to sharpen your knife? Gimme a break!

+1 to Verm for suggesting doing it yourself. No offense but maybe it is time to remove the skirt and learn a new skill. There was a thread several months ago about hunters taking their rifles to a gunsmith to have it cleaned….this seems very similar.

If there is something peculiar about the knife that could reduce the value from sharpening at home, then by all means take it to a professional but we are talking about regular working knives. Google is your friend and online knife sharpening tutorials are easily found.

Jim

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Spanky > Thats a good excuse to go back.

She can't do it while you wait. She gives you a receipt through the store, and brings it home to her boyfriend to sharpen. From what she told me, he has a bad ass sharpening machine.

I had went in there with a friend who was looking at pistols.He wanted a Smith, and Hebert's has probaly the best selection of Smith's in Baton Rouge. I was looking at some of the Benchmade's when we got to talking about mine. I have never been satisfied with the blade on mine. Her b/friend sharpened the hell out of it. It was a lot easier then sending it back to Benchmade. It is a shame i lost the knife a couple months later.

When I went back to pick it up, I talked my bud into buying the Smith he was looking at. He got the Hammerless .38 Airweight. It was his first pistol. I felt proud, I introduced a good friend to his first pistol. Hell, I even found one i fell in love with, but i was able to get it cheaper somewhere else.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Posted by Glock27:
    "I had went in there with a friend who was looking at pistols.He wanted a Smith, and Hebert's has probaly the best selection of Smith's in Baton Rouge."

Yup. Find what you won't then go across the street to get it for a better price.

Blown330

I shoot therefore I am.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    S'port
    Fellas,

You wanna pay somebody to sharpen your knife? Gimme a break!

A lot of people either don't have the time, patience, or interest in sharpening knives. There is a definite learning curve and you have an interest in doing it. I sharpen my friends knives for little or no cost.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    well, iam not a fan of gun shops, you can almost always find the gun for cheaper if you look hard enough. Although i do like the big selection for comparing what you intend to buy, with whatever you chose.

Plus gun shops are always full of people that know everything. In a pawn shop they are just looking to make a sale. I always perfer a young lady, who doesn't know or care, about guns. That way you don't have to listen to someone impress there ******** upon you while you are trying to make a purchase. I like to do my reasearch ahead of time. That way I already know exactly what i am looking at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom