standby generator

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Here recently I went with a GE 20KW I thing its actually 17KW for NG. I chose NG because if my family should actually need it I will likely not be here and I dont want them to have to deal with tracking down fuel etc. Mine was about 4 grand for the generator and almost another 4 for the install. My issue was that the gas meter and electric ,eter are on opposite sides of the house so the cost for materials went up. Also withsome brands like GE and Kohler if you do not have it installed or initially started by one of their authorized reps you void the warranty, they both come with a five year warranty. Some of you may have saw that I had a fire sale on here to help pay for some of the cost. Thanks to all for the help.

Im in the exact same boat as you in the way my house is set up. I plan to add a standby generator to our house as well in the future when we can afford it, but our gas meter and electric meter on opposite sides of the house, while the place the getnerator will be placed is in the back yard, so I forsee it being quite an ordeal to set it up and install. Hopefully the installation wont equal the cost of the generator or I might be SOL. I am a firefighter and work shift work, so while we do have a small 8500W Troy-Bilt that has helped in the past during Gustav and other outages, it is a pain for my wife to have to set up and start, and Im usually stuck at the department when its needed, so electric auto start it definitely the way to go!
    Any advice on your setup you can give m, I am assuming you need a plumber to run the NG lines and a licensed electrician to install the generator and transfer switches?

LaTrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Boyce, Louisiana
    Not for folks that live in the city but I have a PTO generator that I can hook up to my tractor. Northern Tools has two sizes. 27,500 watt ($2,949.99) which requirtes a 48 HP tractor and a 13.000 watt (1,499.99) for a 24 Hp tractor. I am sure other company sell these generators and while it might not be what you need it works for me. Some work involved but it get the job done. I hook it up to my tractor which is parked in my barn, turn off the main disconect from the pole and back feed to my panel through a welding plug. I have a diesel tractor which I use often so no worry about fuel going bad plus I keep a 55 gallon drum on hand. Just a idea for folks having a tractor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom