Where to start?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I am intrested in building myself an AK, where do I start. Order the parts kit, what else is needed besides parts kit & barrel?

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I am intrested in building myself an AK, where do I start. Order the parts kit, what else is needed besides parts kit & barrel?

Rivet set and either a flat or a pre-made receiver like NoDak Spud NDS-3. Then the tools and knowledge to do take it all down and put it back together. And of course enough US parts to make the final product compliant with 922(r).

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

A Tapco G2 FCG gets you three easy parts. Then either a muzzle attachment (brake, easy part), gas piston (hard part), pistol grip (easy), handguard (easy) or buttstock (easy). You need two additional parts if you get the Tapco FCG. Furniture is expensive but pistol grips are cheap as are muzzle attachments.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Make sure the parts kit is complete, A receiver get one that its already bent and attend a build party at the AK Shack with #1BamBam and you set.

Make sure you have all the compliance parts too

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    so yesterday i did a lot of reading about building an AK out of a parts kit and now a lot more makes sense. i didn't know that the kits were actual guns with the receivers cut up and that's why you have to send it off to bambam so he could drill out the rivets.

Some kits are already demilled. The ones that had the original barrels generally were not.

so now that i have a better understanding of how it all works, which kit should i look for? i looked through that thread with all the websites but nothing explains which kits are good and which aren't. i've read it's best to get a kit with all matching serial numbers so you're not just getting used parts.

Matching serial numbers has nothing to do with a kit being used. It only guarantees that the parts all came from the same gun originally.

which kits work with that cheap NDS-3 receiver?

The standard AK pattern receiver like a Romy G, Egyptian Maadi, etc.

how do you know how used the rifles were before they were turned into kits?

You don't. The selling company should give you a condition of the kit. Some will say unissued (new) and others will say good, etc.

how do you know which parts are the american ones and which are the foreign ones?

They're marked US or with the American company's name. Otherwise they're foreign because they can't be proven to be US.

which parts are best used as US and which are best to keep foreign?

It doesn't work like that. You have limited options and some are easier and/or cheaper to replace than others. It also depends if you want original wood/bakelite furniture or if you want something tactical looking or maybe even new specialty wood furniture.

i apologize about the multitude of questions. i'm just getting excited now because i'm ready to find the perfect kit and order it. just not sure which one is a good one.

Make sure you want to put a kit together. There's some work involved and with the price of kits so high you're almost better off just buying what you want already made. Or you could buy a Saiga and convert it.

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    For me personally the "build" part of it is the fun part. I worked with a few sten smg part kits in the past, it was a blast! I guess I will start ordering stuff myself. Receiver first, before obamanation decides we cant have them either.

Top Bottom