1187 not cycling low brass

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    My friend's 1187 wont cycle low brass. Is that normal? It has been cleaned and oiled. I only have pumps and Berettas, so I dont know if these are finicky or not.
    Thanks,

Gavin

bayoukajun

Old & Cranky
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Gonzales, La.
    I am assuming that your 11-87 has a 3" chamber. Years ago myself and two friends each bought 1100 magnums. Mine cycled low brass just fine, the other two didn't so I think it might be luck, maybe some will and some won't. With good high brass 2 3/4 and 3" shells all three of them worked just fine. As stated in a prior post about the gas ports I was told that the gas ports on a magnum barrel were smaller so I suppose you could have them drilled out but I don't know what this would do when the gun is used with magnum loads. I guess if you needed to shoot low brass you could maybe put a standard barrel on the magnum receiver. I know you could do this with the old 1100's but don't know about the newer 11-87's.

I'm not a gunsmith but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Kajun.....

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Before drilling out gas ports, I'd do a few other things. First off, is it a new gun? if it is, fire some good, quality shells through it to see if it breaks in. There are a few parts in the trigger mechanism (shell lifter, etc..) that might need smoothing out before it will cycle the low power loads reliably. keep oil away from the gas piston and O-ring seal, as it will gunk up quickly. I would however lightly oil the action bars and maybe put a dab or two of greas around the lifter linkage in the trigger group.

If it is a used gun (even if the gun appears quite clean), I would highly recommend taking the stock off and removing the action spring/tube. Take it apart, and thouroughly clean the spring and run whichever size cleaning brush/patches fit inside the tube. I would recommend doing this annually or more frequently if its a waterfowling gun that may take a dive or be used frequently in the rain. clean the chamber very well. Also when cleaning the gun, SCRUB out the chamber really well. All kinds of gunk can build up in there, and a combination of a few places each having a small amount of added friction can cause a gun not to cycle the lower powered loads.

I would attempt these things before permanently modifying the gas ports. We used to have an 11-87 that would fire any shell you put in it, never had to touch the gas ports

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    call me sometime and we'll get to the bottom. there's about a 100 point inspection to do to 1100s and 11-87s and many issues are simple fixes. opening the gas ports is the last resort. so many other issues to troubleshoot first.

- Vince
    (412) 670-2620

Top Bottom