Adding a muffler to a portable gen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dennis

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    laplace,louisiana
    $140.00 ???

HELLO THERE, IAM JUST POINTING OUT A WEB SIGHT YOU CAN GO TO TO GET A MUFFLER SETUP FOR YOU PORTABLE GEN THAT IS MADE FOR YOUR GENERATOR MOTOR SIZE,THAT LOWERS THE NOISE & IS US FORESTERY APPROVED.I DONOT KNOW WHAT SIZE GENERATOR YOU HAVE AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE COST WOULD BE FOR YOUR GENERATOR ON THE WEB SIGHT.I BOUGHT ONE FOR MY GENERATOR AFTER KATRINA BECAUSE I GOT TIRED OF HEARING MY GENERATOR SHAKE THE WALLS ALL NIGHT.IF YOU WANT TO DO THE FLEX PIPE AND CAR OR MOTORCYCLE MUFFLER "OK" . JUST GIVING SOMEONE ANOTHER ROUTE THEY CAN GO.HAVE A GREAT DAY

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    HEY DENNIS THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THE MUFFLER. THAT GUY HAD A NIFTY IDEA.

WE'RE RIGHT HERE, NO NEED TO SCREAM, NO NEED FOR ALL CAPS, we all can hear you just fine without raising your voice.

dirty

Dennis

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    laplace,louisiana
    HEY DENNIS THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THE MUFFLER. THAT GUY HAD A NIFTY IDEA.

WE'RE RIGHT HERE, NO NEED TO SCREAM, NO NEED FOR ALL CAPS, we all can hear you just fine without raising your voice.

dirty

YOU OR RIGHT ABOUT THE GUY HAVING A GREAT IDEA ABOUT THE MUFFLER. AND IF ANYONE IS OFENDED BECAUSE I WRITE WITH MY CAPS ON IAM TRULEY SORRY, FOR THAT WAS NOT MY INTENT.NO ONE WAS SCREAMING NO ONE WAS MAD I JUST RESPONDED TO (140 ??? ) THANK YOU FOR PASSING ON THE THANK YOU FOR THE LINK AND HAVE A GREAT DAY.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    All caps is considered yelling and is usually taken as rude behavior. If you would at least use lowercase, or better yet, proper mixed case, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    laplace,louisiana
    All caps is considered yelling and is usually taken as rude behavior. If you would at least use lowercase, or better yet, proper mixed case, it would be greatly appreciated.

You know if that had be sayed the first time instead of you dont have to yell , i dont think we would be having this conversation.I come to Bayou Shooter when every I can and Iam not that good with writeing,I cant tell you about proper mixed case and if uppercase is right or wrong or if lowercase is write or wrong.And i cant belive that people get this upset about writeing with caps on and in my last post I sayed that that was not my intent and that I was sorry.But once again Iam being spoken to for not knowing. Well I think the best thing I can do is remove myself from Bayou Shooters.Thank you so much for feeling stupid.Have a nice day

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    You know if that had be sayed the first time instead of you dont have to yell , i dont think we would be having this conversation.I come to Bayou Shooter when every I can and Iam not that good with writeing,I cant tell you about proper mixed case and if uppercase is right or wrong or if lowercase is write or wrong.And i cant belive that people get this upset about writeing with caps on and in my last post I sayed that that was not my intent and that I was sorry.But once again Iam being spoken to for not knowing. Well I think the best thing I can do is remove myself from Bayou Shooters.Thank you so much for feeling stupid.Have a nice day

Don't be upset at all of us. Some of us just chuckled when we saw the upper case. It's OK. I thank you for your suggestions.

By the way, dirty_sanchez is new here just as you are. I'm pretty sure from reading his post that he intended it to be humorous. Please take it in the spirit he intended.

Last edited:

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Dennis- No need to leave the site...really.

There's a bunch of great folks here, I learn something here everyday.

Stick around awhile. I was just giving you a little elbow is all.

Dirty

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok guys I'm resurrecting an old thread for a good reason. I am letting you know I used a decibel meter and my clamp on muffler did NOT work. There was no improvement in noise. Gonna scrap it for now. Anyone need a small car muffler!!!

Just wanted to pass along. Thanks kpm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok, I'm finished with this project. Overall it sounds like it makes a positive difference and works. I wish I had a decibal meter to get an accurate impact. Anyhow, it only cost me $40. See finished product. OH, the muffler gets really hot. I know that's a given but I only ran it maybe 5 min and yes it gets hot...

9ryyzxczfiz9rw6mkneq.jpg

xn3h00jtpa94vjte0zrz.jpg

Ok guys I'm resurrecting an old thread for a good reason. I am letting you know I used a decibel meter and my clamp on muffler did NOT work. There was no improvement in noise. Gonna scrap it for now. Anyone need a small car muffler!!!

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    In terms of Generator noise, most of the noise is in the engine itself, not the exhaust. There was a video on youtube that showed someone take a generator and, through modifying it, put it in an enclosure and dropped the noise level down by half gauging by my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6IcmKv8XI

I do believe you can improve upon his idea, perhaps build one out of lumber, add some foam insulation to the inside to help with noise.

TechME

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Question regarding your testing with a decibel meter...did you measure very little difference, or no difference at all? Reason I ask is decibels are a logarithmic unit, so depending on the frequency of the sound you're measuring a change of ~3 dB can result in an apparent doubling of perceived sound level.

Top Bottom