‘The Tillman Story’ a Warning, Mom Says

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I/My Unit was there when this went down. We had just gotten into Afghanistan actually and while on Kandahar International Air force base Soldiers from 25th ID or 10th Mtn (can't remember) were talking about this NFL Ranger Jock being killed by Blue on Blue. That's what they told us. We thought, "well that sucks". NFL star turns Army Ranger to only come over here and get shot to death by his own friends. We also heard that there could have been some "Vengeance" Involved. Made us think hard.

Then few months down the road we hear the news report that this Tillman fella was KIA by enemy combatants. We were like "Wtf?' That's not what a dozen or more Soldiers told us.

I knew then that this would be a **** storm.

It's sad and pitiful that it happen like it did, but I'm gald the mom found out the truth at least.

September 01, 2010
    Military.com|by Bryant Jordan

Pat Tillman became the quintessential "All American" when he left behind a lucrative football career to be a Soldier after the 9/11 attacks.

Army officials originally attempted to fictionalize his death on an Afghan hillside as a combat fatality -- they even went so far as to award him the Silver Star. As the truth emerged, it cast a shadow over the military and the mission in Afghanistan.

Tillman's fratricide death on April 22, 2004, its attempted cover-up and a congressional investigation that found no one culpable are now the subject of a documentary, "The Tillman Story," which his mother says should stand as much as a cautionary tale to Americans as an expose of what happened to her son.

"We've run across extremely honorable people in the military and they have helped us tremendously," Mary Tillman said. "But like any institution, you have the ones who are corrupt. And unfortunately we have to be careful of that. And we have to be careful of our leadership. We can't trust that they're telling us the truth all the time."

"The Tillman Story," which was screened in Washington, D.C., on Aug. 26 ahead of its Sept. 3 general release, makes the case that the truth about Pat Tillman's death was deliberately and quickly quashed almost immediately upon his death. By studying thousands of pages of Defense Department documents related to the death, the Tillman family -- guided by former Special Forces Soldier Stan Goff -- found blatant inconsistencies and contradictions between what the DoD claimed happened and what witnesses said -- including those who were shooting at their son that day.

While the Army claimed the men who shot at Tillman were returning what they thought was enemy fire, the documents show otherwise, according to the film. Witness statements reveal Soldiers who were more eager to shoot than careful about who they were shooting at. Soldiers assumed the enemy had been identified; they were "excited."

"I just wanted to stay in the fire-fight," one Soldier wrote.

But in none of the statements, Mary Tillman found, did any of the Soldiers say they were receiving fire from the hillside.

"They knew they weren't receiving fire. They testified they could see people waving their hands," she said. "Yet they continued to fire."

When it was over, Tillman was dead -- decapitated, according to the Soldiers with him. Strangely, his uniform and even his journal were burned, it was later revealed.

Mary Tillman said no one has ever given an explanation for burning his journal or a valid reason for burning the uniform. But she said the autopsy documents she read were odd because -- even though her son's head had been shot off -- the Army obviously intended to make it look like her son was still alive when they got him back to base. Burning the uniform of a dead Soldier is against regulations, she said, but if her son was alive it could have been burned as a biohazard, which is what the Army claimed.

Also highlighted in the movie was the House Committee on Government Oversight investigation into the death and cover-up, with testimony given by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld; Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Richard Myers; Army Gen. John Abizaid, commander of U.S. Central Command; and others -- none of whom could say for sure when they learned that Tillman's death was fratricide.

Mary Tillman said she is not pushing for any further investigations by Congress. The oversight committee's failure to find anyone responsible for trying to conceal the true circumstances of her son's death took away any faith she had in congressional committees.

"They had all kinds of ammunition that they just didn't use" to get at the truth, she said. She also does not expect that the movie will result in new information coming out that could shed light on the facts.

"That would be a good thing, but I don't think any of us believe that's going to happen," she said. "But [the movie] puts it out there to the public that at least they know you cannot trust your leadership … It's more of a warning to people … I would like to see people held accountable for their actions, but I just don't see that happening."
    "The Tillman Story," directed by Amir Bar-Lev, rated R for language. source

Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of fake stories about cause of death.

I've also heard that some of the IED casualties from OIF were actually suicides. You can't exactly tell someone their kid committed suicide though, can you?

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been ordered to lie to the families of lost men in my batallion before.

I've heard of this third hand and the guys who told me swore by it. Wouldn't come outright and state unless someone else made the comment first...

When you sit down and think about it it isn't really surprising at all. That's the sad thing and simultaneously the thing that trips up most Americans who seem to think evil cannot exist here.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I've heard of this third hand and the guys who told me swore by it. Wouldn't come outright and state unless someone else made the comment first...

When you sit down and think about it it isn't really surprising at all. That's the sad thing and simultaneously the thing that trips up most Americans who seem to think evil cannot exist here.

and it's doubly sad that " most " is an accurate number...

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I arrived in Afghanistan just after the incident happened. What I remember is that everyone KNEW (knew being a relative term of course) that this NFL guy died from friendly fire. I mean everyone talked about it, or at least those I talked to did. Then all the reports come out that he was killed from enemy fire and everyone was like, "Huh?" It was just really weird.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've also heard that some of the IED casualties from OIF were actually suicides. You can't exactly tell someone their kid committed suicide though, can you?

The truth is always better than a lie, no matter what.

During our last week in Fallujah 2nd Bn 6th Marines had taken the lead from us, and we were dodging mortars in Camp Baharia. I was at the H&S HQ to pick up a Marine who was back from camp Fallujah after being shot a week earlier. As I'm getting out of the Truck, BAM Door flies open and the H&S 1st SGT. says get in the F.ing truck and drive. Me- 'Roger that 1st Sgt.'. I drove him out to the Motor 'T' section and there was a Marine, Ass up, face down with a hole in his head. Dude had walked out in the middle of a field, knelt down, barrel in mouth and blam. Left a note saying that for weeks he has requested mast saying he had family problems and needed to stay home to fix them instead of deploying. His FT leader had NO IDEA he was under this much stress = Fail on his part. Anyway the Marines Platoon Sgt. was pretty upset and wanted to trash the letter. The 1st Sgt gave him one nasty look and then took the letter from him and stuffed it in his flak. I heard the letter was sent home so that the Chaplain could give it to the mother. Takes a special breed of men to be able to delver the news to a mother and father that their son/daughter is dead, even more so to tell them that they did not die honorably.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom