shaving with a classic double edge razor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I buy the AAFES PX "store brand" razor blades I don't recall the price off hand but, they are very reasonable. I shave a minimum of 5 days a week (usually 7 days a week though) and after three weeks my blade still seems sharper than a disposable.
    I would have look but, I am pretty sure that my handle is a Gillette (non-adjustable).

What a cool original post.
    Be good guys.
    Al

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well I tried the King of Shave's found it to not be very good at any price. The Taylors of Old Bond street is good stuff. I bought some sample packs from their website that had every different product they make in it. My favorite was their shave oil. Their shaving creme I felt was over priced for the performance and quanitity received.

But and this is important everyone's face is different. What work for you might not work for some. It takes Different Strokes my friends.

So Snookie try many different combinations of things. The feather razors the Walmart brand wtc. When you find one that you like stick with it. You particular combination might cut off my upper lip and leave me looking like a lobster. :)

On another note, I've read REALLY good things about the Mitchells Wool Fat Soap and might try it after my tube of Proraso is used up.

Dave

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Awe Hell

Well I tried the King of Shave's found it to not be very good at any price. The Taylors of Old Bond street is good stuff. I bought some sample packs from their website that had every different product they make in it. My favorite was their shave oil. Their shaving creme I felt was over priced for the performance and quanitity received.

But and this is important everyone's face is different. What work for you might not work for some. It takes Different Strokes my friends.

So Snookie try many different combinations of things. The feather razors the Walmart brand wtc. When you find one that you like stick with it. You particular combination might cut off my upper lip and leave me looking like a lobster. :)

On another note, I've read REALLY good things about the Mitchells Wool Fat Soap and might try it after my tube of Proraso is used up.

Dave

Awe HELL

You guys are starting to scare the sh*t out of me now! lol

Photo1.jpg

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Sooooooooo???????

Ok I just got my order from www.bullgooseshaving.net and Phil sent some samples along with it. I snuffed around at those 50 year old Gillette razors for a LONG time and finally got this http://bullgooseshaving.net/mufusfi.html and of all the stuff I ordered just by smell and touch I so far like this creme the best http://bullgooseshaving.net/talashcr15oz.html I think the Taylor brand may end up being my favorite.

So how did it do?
    or have u been using double edge???

Snook wants to know! lol:mamoru:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So how did it do?
    or have u been using double edge???

Snook wants to know! lol:mamoru:

Just got the stuff today. If I can get decently close to as well as the 5 blade cartriges with a DE that uses blades that are close to a dime a dozen in cost, I'm there. Never used a DE before.

ANd I like the KoS gel for use with the Gillette Fusion, I'm not so sure it will work well with a DE.

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Cool

Just got the stuff today. If I can get decently close to as well as the 5 blade cartriges with a DE that uses blades that are close to a dime a dozen in cost, I'm there. Never used a DE before.

ANd I like the KoS gel for use with the Gillette Fusion, I'm not so sure it will work well with a DE.

Cool

Please keep us posted

Thanks in advance!!! :)

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Found the post how do you learn this art and/or refine your skills?

Well here's where I'm at with it right now. I have on excellent straight and one good one. I've got the stropping leather and sharpening film instead of stones mounted on a ceramic tile. My excellent straight razor is what I believe to be sharp enough to shave with but when I do I razor burn myself badly. So here's my problem is the REALLY sharp enough and sharpened the RIGHT way? If so, then I need to keep shaving with it to learn how to do it right. By all reports you should shave with nothing but a straight razor for about 2 months to really get the technique down well. But I don't know that I have it sharpened correctly. I could be do OK with the technique of shaving but not sharpening and causing the problem that way. What I need to do, and what experience straight razor user recommend is having the razors professionally sharpened. That way I KNOW my sharpening technique isn't the problem. After your shaving technique is down pat then worry about sharpening. And yes you will have to hone the blade either way between each shave. Sharpening is actually only done maybe once a month depending on your hair and useage, etc.

Dave

Last edited:

Cybrludite

B.O.W. Crew #3.14159
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Metairie
    I've been using a Mekur Futura for a while now, with Feather blades. A blade usually lasts me a week.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah I like the Feather blades. For me at least they're so sharp that if I do cut myself I don't even feel it when it happens. :)

Dave

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    OK, perhaps I need to try the Feather blades. Using the Merkur blade that came with the Futur yielded a combination of THE worst shave and THE worst razor burn I've ever had in my life.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Thread bookmarked for further exploration of links provided once home from offshore.

Thanks for all the info.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom