shaving with a classic double edge razor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DontTreadOnMe19

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 31, 2011
    Poplarville, MS
    I have an old Weck Straight Razor that my grandpa gave me. I shave with it everyday. Screw those Mach 3, Quatro and 10 blade fancy razors. I will take my straight razor over those any day.

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I switched from the 5 bladed wonders about 6 months ago to double edged blades. I got myself a good quality DE razor (feather) and I never looked back. There are many different blades with different edges, degree of sharpness, and material differences, you need to experiment a little till you settle on what works best for you.

I've found after trial and error, that wilkinson sword blades work the best so far for me. I get about 4 or 5 shaves per blade, and a 10 pack of blades is what, $2 something? very cheap, and I get a better shaving experience than anything else. The best cream/lube that generally works for me is edge gel.

Some of the Rouse's stores still carry wilkinson blades. Or, you can order them on ebay cheaply.

With the DE blades, I dont have to bang the razor on the sink or blast it with water from the faucet to unclog it. I'll never go back unless I absolutely have to.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I remember reading this thread back when it was started. I even bookmarked it to come back to it when I was ready to buy a setup.

I still haven't gotten one. One day.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Do you have to do anything different to shave with a razor of this type?

Once you smooth out the rough spots on your face it's all good:} lol

Seriously, once you get the hang of it, it really is a fairly quick smooth shave that last all day with a good blade and save many dollars over a years time:}

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    We ll I bought everything I needed to shave with a straight razor several years ago. But I've always had very poor results. I'm not sure if it's poor technique for shaving or for sharpening the razor or both. Don'ttreadonme19 if you ever get to BR I'd love for some help with that. The tradition of using a straight razor is several generations gone in my family and no one knows how anymore.

I'll still continue to use my Gillette DE razor with Feather blades.

Dave

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We ll I bought everything I needed to shave with a straight razor several years ago. But I've always had very poor results. I'm not sure if it's poor technique for shaving or for sharpening the razor or both. Don'ttreadonme19 if you ever get to BR I'd love for some help with that. The tradition of using a straight razor is several generations gone in my family and no one knows how anymore.

I'll still continue to use my Gillette DE razor with Feather blades.

Dave

I can't say factually but the guy that was just leaving TAoS yesterday when I walked in I believe was the barber. He was carrying a hard aluminum case that I would almost bet contained a straight razor among other things.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    Well I've been having a beard for about 7 years now. I guess the shaving got to me.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Never tried a straight or double edge razor. Besides cost of the physical blade, what is the advantage? I use an electric shaver every day. Asian genes, so no hair on my cheeks to worry about.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    It's weird because I was thinking about reviving it (the thread) and bragging about the new clamshell razor and accessories that my wife got me for Christmas. It came with shaving soap, brush, soap cup, blades, etc. I'll have to get the brand name when I get home and post it. It is a very nice set.

Al

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I last shaved in 1985. Short Beard and need a new trimmer. The Battery is not what it used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom