Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bearfutedninja View Post
    how often do u change blades
    Every three or 4 shaves. I only shave once a week so 100 pack last really long.

Quote Originally Posted by bearfutedninja View Post
    is that murker gonna be cheaper over here if not i could just order it off that site
    also my great grandfather was a barber so we have a bunch of straight edge razors would that be worth a try or would i end up being like that guy above.
    they probably all would need to be sharpened and cleaned and disinfected.
    Straight edge is a different animal I have one and found it too time consuming to bother with. If they were mine I'd post pics to once of the razor forums to find out what I had then send them to be sharpened and cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Banned

User Info Menu

Reccomendations PLEASE

OK Got me intrested!

Just last night I paid $16.00 + for 10 gellette Sensor Excell blades.

Any reccomendations (please be spacific) on a good brand double edgr razor and blades

Also will I be nicking and cutting myself unless I take time and go easy?

Never did the old school shaving thang!

Thanks
    Snookie

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    OK Got me intrested!

Any reccomendations (please be spacific) on a good brand double edgr razor and blades

Thanks
    Snookie
    get this to figure out what blade you like.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-B...dard_p_17.html

then maybe this to start with to figure out what you like/don't like
    http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merk...azor_p_30.html

then go to badgerandblade.com and there should be plenty instructional material. Main thing is just keep the face wet and don't apply pressure,

coming soon

User Info Menu

OK Got me intrested!

Thanks
    Snookie
    I was a first timer and I did fine but it took me a little longer than a normal shave. I have a little beard/ chinstrap whatever you want to call it. It took awhile to see how close I had to get. I applied shaving cream to my whole face but my neck dried up by the time I attempted to shave it. I washed it off and put a little more on and finished up. I think I might get that barbershop one that guy posted the link too. I really never get razor burn beside around my collar area. I didnt get any this time might be a good thing although I wasnt pressing hard like I usually do with the mach 3

Marksman

User Info Menu

Man up and use a straight razor.....

coming soon

User Info Menu

I have to get them cleaned up first and sharpened. I used one once when i was about 20 but it wasnt sharp as it should be. they are a little pricey and not sure if i want to take the time to maintain it. definitely will put them on display if can. i remember he also had a set of clippers but they worked by hand. like like some hog ring pliers handle with a clipper blade on the bottom.

Banned

User Info Menu

WOW

SON of a BISQUIT EATER

Didn't know that they had so many choices!

Now more confussed!! What does the $66.00 razor do that the $18.00 doesn't?

Help, I think I've cut myself! lol

Marksman

User Info Menu

SON of a BISQUIT EATER

Didn't know that they had so many choices!

Now more confussed!! What does the $66.00 razor do that the $18.00 doesn't?

Help, I think I've cut myself! lol

It's generally build quality. they range plastic to high polished chrome and exotic handles. Some you can adjust the blade angle stuff like that.

Marksman

User Info Menu

http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-GILLETTE-FA...item2c5710e29b

I'm not selling this nor am I encouraging anyone to buy this razor. However this is all the safety razor you'll ever need and it's last the rest of your life. I've used one for years. The adjustability is worth it. Not everyone's facial hair comes in the same. This allows you to change the angle of attack so to speak to find one that works best for you. Then try different brands of razor blades. You can find people selling sample packs that contain many different varieties.

The straight razor is an art. You have 100% constant control of the razor's angle with your skin and can constantly adjust it as you go. Sharpening a straight razor is a learned skill. I have several different straight razors and generally use the safety razor. I get equal results and don't cut myself nearly as often.

The next most important thing you can do it throw away your foam shaving cream in a can. It leaves your skin too dry under it and makes it tougher to get a good close shave without irritation. Buy a silver tip boar brush and a good quality shaving cream. I've used many differnet varieties but prefer http://www.detailsformen.com/proraso.html products the best. They're inexpensive and work really well for me. Plus I like the mentholated feeling.

Dave
    "All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others."
    Paraphrase from George Orwell Animal Farm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    Ash (Bruce Campbell) Army Of Darkness 1992

The Hitler of fun.

Snap, Crackle, Pop.

User Info Menu

And good blades can be had real cheap. Buy a billion of them and you'll be clean shaven well after the end of the world LOL. Oh and as for "cream" for the lazy (like myself) I've found that the King of Shaves gel works really well, so does their oil. It's at CVS and I've found a different brand of oil that works well at Walmart.
    Last edited by W1nds0rF0x; September 3rd, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
    "Do you think 24 cores is overkill for a desktop?" - Oo wIx oO

"IMO you are a social porcupine. I can poke at you but the quills aren't worth the entertainment value." - Derf