shaving with a classic double edge razor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    classic-double-edge-razor-26-p.gif
    http://www.needblades.co.uk/classic-23-c.asp

so i was walking around in germany earlier and i went into this little shop seen that razor and thought i would give it a try. first time shaving with that kinda razor wasnt too bad. i just took my time didnt want to cut myself all up. silky smooth

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You are yet to be "in need" sometimes when you offshore or over seas for a long period of time and you have limited resources, throw away 10 pack for $1 actually feels like a luxury.

I dont mind the cheap ones, Im kinna weird when it comes to germs so throw away actually works for me instead of re using.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I have used a double edge razor since I started shaving (around 1975) and you can keep "ALL" of these new ones with all of their claims of being so great. I buy 10 blades for less than 1 blade costs for these new ones and my blades last way longer.
    Every disposable razor I have ever tried was dull right out of the package (I will use one in a pinch but...). I have never found another razor that works as well as mine. I have the very same razor I have had since 1975 too.
    I used to buy my blades in Germany at the many "Flea Markets" they have around on Saturdays. I could get 10 blades for about 75 cents.

Lyrics from an old song went something like this: "Shaving cream, be nice and clean, shave everyday and you'll always look keen."

Be good guys.
    Al

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    im thinking about getting a good one. this one is made cheap but i just wanted to try it while i had some time to heal before i got back to the states. i might buy a couple packs of blades while im here. i dont know how hard it is to find these back home. i never have looked before. and i agree much better shave then those 5 bladed ones that cost a fortune. i seen a pack of ten blades for like 2 euro so thats not to bad this was 4 euro with 5 blades and the razor

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I've been using DEs for about 5-6 years. I haven't seen anywhere in Lafayette that sells em (but then I haven't really looked), there was a old barber supply shop when I lived in Jackson that carried them. But I just buy in bulk now. $25 for 100 pack of blades lasts me for a few years.

Classicshaving.com and leesrazors.com have a good selection, if you want new. For used theres some forums like badger and blade that you can find the old ones for sale (usually cleaned, sanitized and polished). You can also find sampler packs of blades on there. Personal preference is a slant loaded with a feather.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    is that murker gonna be cheaper over here if not i could just order it off that site
    also my great grandfather was a barber so we have a bunch of straight edge razors would that be worth a try or would i end up being like that guy above.
    they probably all would need to be sharpened and cleaned and disinfected.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've used an adjustable blade double edged safety razor for years. Try different brands of razor's in it until you find one that works for you. I'm partial to Feather. They're made in Japan and are unbelievably sharp even for a razor blade. On my Gilette the number three setting seems to work best for my face. You can buy old safety razor handles on ebay for a dime a dozen.

Dave

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    how often do u change blades

Every three or 4 shaves. I only shave once a week so 100 pack last really long.

is that murker gonna be cheaper over here if not i could just order it off that site
    also my great grandfather was a barber so we have a bunch of straight edge razors would that be worth a try or would i end up being like that guy above.
    they probably all would need to be sharpened and cleaned and disinfected.

Straight edge is a different animal I have one and found it too time consuming to bother with. If they were mine I'd post pics to once of the razor forums to find out what I had then send them to be sharpened and cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Reccomendations PLEASE

OK Got me intrested!

Just last night I paid $16.00 + for 10 gellette Sensor Excell blades.

Any reccomendations (please be spacific) on a good brand double edgr razor and blades

Also will I be nicking and cutting myself unless I take time and go easy?

Never did the old school shaving thang!

Thanks
    Snookie

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    OK Got me intrested!

Any reccomendations (please be spacific) on a good brand double edgr razor and blades

Thanks
    Snookie

get this to figure out what blade you like.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-Blade-Sampler-Pack-Standard_p_17.html

then maybe this to start with to figure out what you like/don't like
    http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merkur-33C-Classic-Safety-Razor_p_30.html

then go to badgerandblade.com and there should be plenty instructional material. Main thing is just keep the face wet and don't apply pressure,

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    OK Got me intrested!

Thanks
    Snookie

I was a first timer and I did fine but it took me a little longer than a normal shave. I have a little beard/ chinstrap whatever you want to call it. It took awhile to see how close I had to get. I applied shaving cream to my whole face but my neck dried up by the time I attempted to shave it. I washed it off and put a little more on and finished up. I think I might get that barbershop one that guy posted the link too. I really never get razor burn beside around my collar area. I didnt get any this time might be a good thing although I wasnt pressing hard like I usually do with the mach 3

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    I have to get them cleaned up first and sharpened. I used one once when i was about 20 but it wasnt sharp as it should be. they are a little pricey and not sure if i want to take the time to maintain it. definitely will put them on display if can. i remember he also had a set of clippers but they worked by hand. like like some hog ring pliers handle with a clipper blade on the bottom.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    SON of a BISQUIT EATER

Didn't know that they had so many choices!

Now more confussed!! What does the $66.00 razor do that the $18.00 doesn't?

Help, I think I've cut myself! lol

It's generally build quality. they range plastic to high polished chrome and exotic handles. Some you can adjust the blade angle stuff like that.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-GILLETTE-F...403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5710e29b

I'm not selling this nor am I encouraging anyone to buy this razor. However this is all the safety razor you'll ever need and it's last the rest of your life. I've used one for years. The adjustability is worth it. Not everyone's facial hair comes in the same. This allows you to change the angle of attack so to speak to find one that works best for you. Then try different brands of razor blades. You can find people selling sample packs that contain many different varieties.

The straight razor is an art. You have 100% constant control of the razor's angle with your skin and can constantly adjust it as you go. Sharpening a straight razor is a learned skill. I have several different straight razors and generally use the safety razor. I get equal results and don't cut myself nearly as often.

The next most important thing you can do it throw away your foam shaving cream in a can. It leaves your skin too dry under it and makes it tougher to get a good close shave without irritation. Buy a silver tip boar brush and a good quality shaving cream. I've used many differnet varieties but prefer http://www.detailsformen.com/proraso.html products the best. They're inexpensive and work really well for me. Plus I like the mentholated feeling.

Dave

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    And good blades can be had real cheap. Buy a billion of them and you'll be clean shaven well after the end of the world LOL. Oh and as for "cream" for the lazy (like myself) I've found that the King of Shaves gel works really well, so does their oil. It's at CVS and I've found a different brand of oil that works well at Walmart.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom