pt-1911??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I see no reasn the OP should not buy the gun, sounds like a decent deal. I would rather spend a bit more and buy a used s&w 1911...

on that note in case anyone is interested, I'll point out that there was a nice looking S&W 1911 for $750 in the Gun Library glass case at Cabela's last weekend when we went for tax-free day.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    To answer the question earlier, I put aluminum grips on mine. I like a heavy pistol, particularly when shooting full house .45ACP loads.

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Count me on the + side. I have had one for about 3 years, shot the **** out of it with everything from ball to cast semi wad cutters, and never had one single failure of any kind. I have purposely let the gun get dirty as hell to see if would affect it, and it shrugged it off. My only complaint is that big ass lettering on it and I don't see the finish holding up forever. Mine is bone stock and will probably stay that way unless something breaks. I have several other pistols, and I seem to shoot my PT more than any of the others.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    A trigger job and sights I think are a must for any pistol other than a "carry" gun. My
    PT1911 is for USPSA matches, Limited-10 division. I have Chip McCormick 10 round mags for it.

EvilSVT

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Lafayette
    The Springfield GI is made mostly in Brazil. Taurus actually uses all of their own parts. They mill all of the parts themselves. This is what the Customer service rep told me. Is it a good gun, sure. Do they have better, sure. In relative terms, 450 is nothing for a 1911. Hell, I see Llamas go for 4-5 hundred, and they are out of business.

It is like arguing how good a car is. I have seen chevy's last 300k with great maint. I have also seen Mercedes with burnt motors with 25k on them. If you take care of it you have a better chance of long term reliability.

If you dont like it, I have 450 waiting for your call.

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    The Springfield GI is made mostly in Brazil. Taurus actually uses all of their own parts. They mill all of the parts themselves. This is what the Customer service rep told me. Is it a good gun, sure. Do they have better, sure. In relative terms, 450 is nothing for a 1911. Hell, I see Llamas go for 4-5 hundred, and they are out of business.

It is like arguing how good a car is. I have seen chevy's last 300k with great maint. I have also seen Mercedes with burnt motors with 25k on them. If you take care of it you have a better chance of long term reliability.

If you dont like it, I have 450 waiting for your call.

well i just picked it up today and i like the feel of it. plan on going to a range next week to shoot. from the feel of it its a great pistol but the real test is how it shoots so i will find that out next week

EvilSVT

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Lafayette
    I think that you made a great decision. Most people bash Taurus and have never fired one. I think that they are a great value. The people on here really know what they are talking about and if they don't, they give links and pages that will answer your questions.

Offer stands......if you don't like it......I have 450 waiting. Enjoy, be safe

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think that you made a great decision. Most people bash Taurus and have never fired one. I think that they are a great value. The people on here really know what they are talking about and if they don't, they give links and pages that will answer your questions.

FWIW, we went shooting a little yesterday. I brought a PT 1911 AR I traded a Draco pistol for earlier this week. We were shooting 10rd Chip McCormick magazines and most of them were only making five or six holes in the center of the targets. You could see the paper jump when the bullets went through the same holes. It is very accurate and the fit and finish is good on this one. I also shot my H&K USP in 45 and the Taurus is more accurate hands-down. All that said, I guess it's kind of like the Kimbers have become but this is a good one.

HeathLedger

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    West Monroe LA
    With the above ambi-safety issues excluded, one of the finest 1911's out of the box. They just are not as appealing (to me) as others. The brazilian SA G.I.'s work well too.

Username5388

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2020
    Chalmette
    Tell me the Good and Bad about it.. Thinking about purchasing one as my first 1911. Is this a good starter 1911? I want to know all about this gun good and bad.

This is me, had to make a new account.

I know this is 10yrs old but just to update i had this gun for 8 years and put over 50k rounds through it with little to no problem. Only modification I made were Indian rosewood VZ hand grips and truglo sights.

Only reason I dont own anymore is someone offered a trade i really couldn't pass up. Gen 3 glock 22 with about 10k rounds and 12 mags

Top Bottom