pt-1911??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    Tell me the Good and Bad about it.. Thinking about purchasing one as my first 1911. Is this a good starter 1911? I want to know all about this gun good and bad.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Would be the only magazine fed weapon I would buy made by Taurus, aparently they actually put pride in it and there are several members here who are very happy with theirs.

That being said there are other options in the market around the same price range with better quality such as STI Spartan which costs about the same,

On the + side for the PT1911, it will be the cheapest non traditional 1911 with a tactical rail that you will find in the market hands down.

so it just depends on what your needs are.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Ordered one for a friend and had to buy one in .38 super immediately after.

Have had the Spartan and PT here, both are good but for the checkering, good ambis, great trigger out the box and being stainless I like the PT more.

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    Would be the only magazine fed weapon I would buy made by Taurus, aparently they actually put pride in it and there are several members here who are very happy with theirs.

That being said there are other options in the market around the same price range with better quality such as STI Spartan which costs about the same,

On the + side for the PT1911, it will be the cheapest non traditional 1911 with a tactical rail that you will find in the market hands down.

so it just depends on what your needs are.

Well a friend has one for $450 damn near brand new, but was just wondering if it was a good starter 1911.
    My needs are just trying to get used to the 1911 platform, I am going to move on to better things just trying to get used to that platform.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I had a friend, another member here that was looking for a *starter* 1911 and one of those came along in La Sportsman for $450. They're a pretty good bargain at retail and at $450, even better. Like the others have already said, pretty good bang for your buck.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Never shot one but have handled a few. Seem pretty well made for the money. One word of advice though. The ambi safety seems to fall apart on a number of them after you replace the grip panels. Just get a Wilson Combat safety fit to the gun if you get new grips.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Buy it. I have 2 one in stainless and the other in blue. The ambi-safety is the weak point, although I haven't had to replace either of mine. The mags are hit and miss but that is easily rectified by getting some Chip McCormicks or Wilsons.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I don't really like the ambi safety, it is a little extra bulk and I have heard people complain about them falling apart. Probably the only thing bad I have heard anyone say about them except maybe taurus mags not being very good. For 450 I think alot of us on the forum would be in the buying camp. 1911s are great to shoot, only drawback in my mind from a practical standpoint is the weight.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have 2 or 3 used Chip Power mags ill sell you, if I can find them that is.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    thanx for the reply guys!! now what about the bad stuff. i have heard alot of bashing!

I'm not 100% sure of the why because I'm not one, but I think the bashers base their opinion on the fail rate of the Taurus revolvers of 30 years ago. The joke was that you'd be better of throwing it at someone than taking a chance pulling the trigger. This was all before they started making the PT-92 in the old Beretta factory down south in the early eighties.

username123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    St. Bernard
    I'm not 100% sure of the why because I'm not one, but I think the bashers base their opinion on the fail rate of the Taurus revolvers of 30 years ago. The joke was that you'd be better of throwing it at someone than taking a chance pulling the trigger. This was all before they started making the PT-92 in the old Beretta factory down south in the early eighties.

so no bad is what your sayin?

Top Bottom