ATF Contract for new Weapons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    This came from Todd G's website, pistol-training.

Today 9-4-10, ATF announced the results of its highly competitive procurement for a new service sidearm. Both Glock and Smith & Wesson were awarded 10-year contracts worth up to $40,000,000 each. These are the largest non-military small arms contracts in U.S. history.

The award announcements do not go into details about quantities, models, etc. so I cannot discuss that yet. But I’m sure all of that information will be released by the manufactures just as soon as their public relations people can draft a lofty sounding press release.

Update

9-8-10, it’s public: the Glocks on the ATF contract are the Gen4 G22 and the G27. I actually had the first Gen4 G22′s in the country in my hand before there had even been a public announcement that such a thing existed. At right is a photo I took back in November 2009 on my iPhone, and which has been kept locked in a secret location until today.

Glock published a press release today, which was quoted in a number of places including the Boston Business Journal:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) awarded GLOCK Inc. a 10-year contract worth up to $40 million.

The deal makes available for the first time the GLOCK 22 Gen4 and GLOCK 27 .40 caliber pistols to all ATF agents, Smyrna, Ga.-based GLOCK said.

“GLOCK was chosen over others due to the new design features of the Gen4 pistol and GLOCK’s Safe Action System, as well as reliability and durability that have made GLOCK pistols famous,” said GLOCK Vice President Josh Dorsey, in a news release.

GLOCK said 65 percent of law enforcement agencies nationwide use the company’s weapons.

No press release from S&W yet, at least not that I could find. I’d expect them to have one out by the end of the day, though, and possibly with greater detail about the testing procedure, etc.

Top Bottom