Police Cars to be Changing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Those lowered Tahoes the State Police have are NNIIIIIIICCE!

They are the sexiest police cruisers I've seen in ages. Texas Highway Patrol uses some all black ones with a bright gold star on the driver/pass door. I would love to get pulled over by one just so I could drool over it.

You know if they're running a different engine/trans combo compared to the civilian version?

-Dave

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    They are the sexiest police cruisers I've seen in ages. Texas Highway Patrol uses some all black ones with a bright gold star on the driver/pass door. I would love to get pulled over by one just so I could drool over it.

You know if they're running a different engine/trans combo compared to the civilian version?

-Dave

They have the standard 5.3 Liter engine with 3:73 gear ratio and engine limiter is set at a higher number which will match a CVPI.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    You guys should see the MHP Tahoes. IMO, the deep gray with the MHP decals is sexy for a cruiser. The MHP Chargers are pretty badass too- hell even their Crown Vics ain't too shabby. I have seen the interior of a few of the Chargers (no, I was NOT in custody :p ) of the MHP and local police on scenes and it almost made me want to swap 911 jobs.

Come to think of it, I was just on scene with one of the Tahoes about 20 minutes ago.

3727028561_0029ef2f4c.jpg

Chargers seem to be catching on big time around here. I know LAPD is going to employ GM's cruiser, which is a converted Pontiac G8 with Chevy emblems and grille (its manufactured by Holden). The prototype/demo I saw was way cooler than the one pictured.

800px-Touch_screen_in_Prototype_LAPD_Pontiac_G8.JPG

That screen he is touching was Pontiac's proposition of putting the typical police laptop mounted in the back, with it being displayed on the touch screen in the front. HVAC and radio controls would also be available on this screen.

37192_pontiac_g8_lapd_proto-4b77aa395cd30.jpg

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    So they are pretty much stock?? I woulda figured they would have something done to them so they could keep up if someone tries to run... guess "ya cant outrun a motorola" tho

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    many passenger cars and trucks are limited around 115, the police models don't have limiters. They all run regular pump gas and they make us run the cheapest we can find, they may have better gearing and a slightly different exhaust but thats it.

If someone wants to flee, we probably will only catch them because they crash, don't know how to drive, or drive into a dead end.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I thought this was gonna be like the Jetson's or something totally new. (just teasing, has been that kind of day)

Copcars have been running dual carb set ups and no limiters on their engines for a loooong time. My old Crown Vic Interceptor was the fastest car I have ever driven (and I don't claim to be an Indy driver, or super mechanic, or anything like that). Used to beat Beamers from stop light to stop light and when it read 150 on the guage, it would go 150 on the guage. Totally different to be driving on the highway at that speed and passing folks sedately cruising at 90 mph or so. :)

Damn, don't miss the Job, but do miss that car. (and the gas was free too)

03GeeTee

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I thought I heard something a while back about them using the new Taurus SHO as a cop car... A twin turbo V6 AWD cop car sounds nice anyway

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The Taurus is Fords new toss into the market, even the SHO is underpowered for it's weight I hear, not sure how it will handle even more weight in a police model. That is the main problem with these impalas, they are maxed out on weight, plus overheating issues with extended running.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    I like the black ghost tahoe that denham springs has. That thing is nice.
    I thought the new police tahoes have the 6.2L in them now?

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    if someone did decide to flee I cant see a tahoe or impala chasing a car hitting 160mph on the interstate... Even the lil 4bangers they are making now can hit thoes speeds stock and handel pretty good (trust me they can and have).. and there are alot of cars out there that are modofied... z06 Vettes are capable over 200mph right out the facotry... I just don't see how a cop is supposed to chase them down if someone decided to run...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    if someone did decide to flee I cant see a tahoe or impala chasing a car hitting 160mph on the interstate... Even the lil 4bangers they are making now can hit thoes speeds stock and handel pretty good (trust me they can and have).. and there are alot of cars out there that are modofied... z06 Vettes are capable over 200mph right out the facotry... I just don't see how a cop is supposed to chase them down if someone decided to run...

tactics, teamwork, and the fact that the majority of the driving public has no idea what they or the car can or cannot do under ideal conditions, much less the high stress of running for your life. We do some pretty intensive driver training, including pursuits. Even under ideal safe training conditions, the hear rate goes up, tunnel vision kicks in, etc. Most people are NOT prepared for this and will make a mistake.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    tactics, teamwork, and the fact that the majority of the driving public has no idea what they or the car can or cannot do under ideal conditions, much less the high stress of running for your life. We do some pretty intensive driver training, including pursuits. Even under ideal safe training conditions, the hear rate goes up, tunnel vision kicks in, etc. Most people are NOT prepared for this and will make a mistake.

^^ He knows what he's talking about. The adrenaline boost at 110 is probably the deciding point for the average driver (And no, let's not hear about "I'm not average").

Hell, I practice driving 130 fast on a fairly regular basis and I still wouldn't want to put it to the test in a pursuit type situation. More or less, 'cause I'm young and make bad decisions.

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I have driven "fast" and alot faster then "fast" before and would not want to try and move through traffic that fast, but im sure some people have to get away. I keep my ass on the track if i wanna go "fast" now... not so much in my younger days.... im still young but just not as dumb now..

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They build these here in Indiana.

carbonmotors.jpg

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

http://www.carbonmotors.com/machine/specifications

See their website above, just an perfect police car.

One of their best features is the rear seat. It is one solid piece and can be hosed out easily, from all the nasty things our (non-upstanding) citizens leave behind. :p

TK

Last edited:
    Top Bottom