Shootrite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Is anyone taking defensive handgun classes at shootrite this summer (Or interested in)? What about closer places? My wife gave me this for my birthday and I would be like to see if anyone wants to share gas on the trip up so I can save my money for ammo.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Sound,
    I have a friend that will be teaching a class this summer locally. You will probably spend less tha the cost of travel. He is an accomplished shooter & teacher.
    There are also some classes that Pangris is trying to get locally.
    Thanks,
    RDO

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Is it taking deposits for the carbine class? The Shootrite website has something else listed for those dates in September.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    For the carbine class it says you need a NRA First steps or equivalent course to participate. Would weapons trainging from the military count as an equivalent? There are no First Steps:Rifle courses given in louisiana.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Sound,
    I have a friend that will be teaching a class this summer locally. You will probably spend less tha the cost of travel. He is an accomplished shooter & teacher.
    There are also some classes that Pangris is trying to get locally.
    Thanks,
    RDO

Do you have any other info on this? Thank you.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Anyone know anywhere around here that I could take an "NRA First Steps or equivalent" course? I'd like to attend one of his defensive handgun courses this fall. Unlike others in this thread, I have no military or prior formalized firearms training.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Have you taken a CCW course? I'd imagine the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course (taught by the CCW instructors) would be equivalent. If you don't have your CCW you could just take that course practically anywhere.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    No I haven't, but I didn't think of that. I was planning on getting my CCW sometime after the shootrite course, but that could work out just as well.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You can apply for the CCW up to a year after you take the course. So take the CCW class now, then Shootrite, then get your CCW when you feel you are ready.

I did some quick research on the NRA First Steps program. It seems to be much more basic than the NRA Personal Protection course:

FIRST (Firearm Instruction, Responsibility and Safety Training) STEPS is the latest addition to the NRA's training programs for new shooters. It provides hands-on orientation to one specific rifle, pistol or shotgun model in as little as three hours, including a one-hour shooting session on a range.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for your help. I emailed Tiger to confirm that the Personal Protection course would meet his prerequisites. I also just noticed that he's going to be here next year for the vehicle defense course. But it requires 2 prior handgun courses, which I certainly won't have by that time.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Have you taken a CCW course? I'd imagine the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course (taught by the CCW instructors) would be equivalent. If you don't have your CCW you could just take that course practically anywhere.

Keep in mind that, while a lot of CCW classes are based on the NRA Personal Protection curriculum, the majority (in the Baton Rouge area) are based on the NRA Basic Pistol currriculum.

There is a huge difference between the two courses (I am certified to teach both). I strongly suggest making sure that the CCW class you take is based on the Personal Protectioncourse.

Top Bottom