WTB S&W .357 magnum 4"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Looking for something like this -------->S&W 28-2 .357 magnum highway patrolman 4" or very comparable to it. SMITH & WESSON ONLY! Must be 4" nothing shorter nothing longer! Also firearm MUST be in very good to excellent shape....NO BEATERS!

Please pm with pics, price, and location.

THANKS!

KT

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Thanks guys, still looking.....LA REBEL, nothing to trade but interested in what your friend has, like I mentioned.....send price and pics!

KT

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    kajuntriton

The 28-2 is a pinned and recessed N frame. The only other pinned and recessed N frame 357 would be the 27-2

There is an L frame(slightly smaller than the N frame) 357 and it would the 586-3, 586-4 and the 586-5
    That is, if you’re looking for something similar to the 28-2
    The 586s will not be pinned or recessed but good guns none the less

I would be hesitant about the NYPD 28-2s, If you will notice it has a red insert in the front sight in the KPM 1234 photo. This makes it a re-barrel job and it will lose any collector value. Many re-barrel jobs were somewhat crudely done but OK if you want a beater gun. If you want to see one there is one in the Cabelas in Gonzales for $379+tax

The Model 19 is a K+ frame and not really meant to shoot a steady diet of 357 mags. The Model 19 was meant to be a good, duty carry gun that you would practice with 38s and load 357s for work
    They have a life expectancy of about 3,000 357mag rds
    There’s a 4in SB 19-7 here in Morgan City for $500 OTD that looks unfired . Again back to the dashes, I would only consider the -6 or -7 for engineering and other reasons

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    utf-8Ba29keXMgZ3VuLmpwZw.jpg

I think he has the original grips also.
    edit, he does. they are on it right now not in pic though.. haha

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    kajuntriton

The 28-2 is a pinned and recessed N frame. The only other pinned and recessed N frame 357 would be the 27-2

There is an L frame(slightly smaller than the N frame) 357 and it would the 586-3, 586-4 and the 586-5
    That is, if you’re looking for something similar to the 28-2
    The 586s will not be pinned or recessed but good guns none the less

I would be hesitant about the NYPD 28-2s, If you will notice it has a red insert in the front sight in the KPM 1234 photo. This makes it a re-barrel job and it will lose any collector value. Many re-barrel jobs were somewhat crudely done but OK if you want a beater gun. If you want to see one there is one in the Cabelas in Gonzales for $379+tax

The Model 19 is a K+ frame and not really meant to shoot a steady diet of 357 mags. The Model 19 was meant to be a good, duty carry gun that you would practice with 38s and load 357s for work
    There’s a 4in SB 19-7 here in Morgan City for $500 OTD that looks unfired . Again back to the dashes, I would only consider the -6 or -7 for engineering and other reasons

jesus, good info.. thanks..

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    kajuntriton

Again back to the dashes, I would only consider the -6 or -7 for engineering and other reasons

HUMMMMMMMM???

Sir:

Are you Willing to share your source of information where you found this information to make the above comment on life expectancy of the Model 19?

I'd like to read the entire article and see how they arrived at that conclusion!

I assume it came from S&W and not simply bubbas step brother or brother-in-law who is a Glock or Colt fan who made a comment on some fourm?

Inquiring minds just want to know!

Thanks in advance!

Snookie

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Snookie- Maybe here. Not saying it's correct. Just it's out on the internets.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100709201741AAiHpPM

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
    S&W makes very good revolvers, the 66 is their stainless steel adjustable sight K frame (same gun in blue is called model 19), a gun designed for moderate use of 357 rounds but not life-long use. Okay, let me explain that a bit more.

In the 1920s and 30s we had prohibition and the great depression. That was the era of the 'Gangster' ala Al Capone and the like, the era that Mobsters grew greatly in power, etc.

Well, the cops of the day were mostly using 38 specials, and a lot of the gangsters would add metal to the doors of their cars (or sometimes wood on the inside, or just fill the space between the two doorpanels with piles of chopped up newspaper etc etc) making effectively armored cars...at least as far as the 38 special was concerned.

So Elmer Keith and some others invented the 357 magnum, which was really a 38 special case just lengthened by 1/8th of an inch and loaded with more powerful gunpowders. The 357 magnum had more than twice the power, closer to three times the power of a 38 special, and it could punch right through those make-shift bullet proof doors.

This was good because the 357 magnum is a POWERFUL cartridge, and is hard on the gun firing it. At first they only chambered the 357 magnum in a LARGE frame revolver, but this wasn't liked because the gun was too big and heavy to carry in a holster all day. So they took the standard 38 special medium frame revolver and strengthened it. The idea was you'd practice with 38 special ammo and only rarely shoot 357 magnums. You'd carry 357 magnums in the gun but it really wasn't that often that an officer would get in a shootout, so they had a lighter to carry gun, that was strong enough to shoot 357 magnums.

Now, later people figured out that it might be smart to train with EXACTLY THE SAME THING as you'd actually use in a gunfight. While a K frame could stand up to people using 357 magnums by shooting 50 or so rounds every month or two (500 rounds a year, 50 year lifetime of the gun = 25,000 rounds ) it couldn't stand up to the guys who'd shoot 100 rounds of 357 magnum a week, 52 weeks a year. The guns basically could handle 10,000 to 20,000 rounds of 357 magnum, but not 50,00-100,000 rounds. And yes, back then shooting two boxes of ammo on the weekend, every week, by rural county sheriffs and their deputies was not unheard of.

So while Smith and Wesson kept on making the K frames like the 66, they invented an even stronger frame, the L frame, that could last 100,000 357 magnum rounds...or even more.

The K frame stayed VERY popular because it was light and handy and pointed well...and because most people did NOT come close to the 25,000 round count. (think about it, 25,000 is 500 boxes of ammo, at $30 each that's $15,000 of ammo!) it's supposed limited life was relevant to only 1% of the revolver shooters of the world. the K frames, the famous Model 19 and it's stainless steel brother the Model 66 are still very loved.

So, shoot that 66 as much as you want with 357s, I doubt you will spend $10,000 in ammo in the next 20 years. However, be aware that you can shoot 38 specials, and while you don't have to shoot them to conserve the gun's strength, you may want to consider shooting them because they ARE A HECK OF A LOT CHEAPER and they kick about half as much.
    4 months ago

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009

Thank you for the article.

Sounds logical to me sort of??? But I've not been able to see a statement from S&W anywhere that makes that claim of limited 357 use in a model 19 k frame.

Kinda like just because it's a claim made on TV or written in the newspaper it's got to be true!

Again thanks for forwarding the article!

Now I'm still waiting on the REAL DEAL from S&W confirming the facts of longevity in jepordy in model 19's by shooting to many 357's

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

Thank you for the article.

Sounds logical to me sort of??? But I've not been able to see a statement from S&W anywhere that makes that claim of limited 357 use in a model 19 k frame.

Kinda like just because it's a claim made on TV or written in the newspaper it's got to be true!

Again thanks for forwarding the article!

Now I'm still waiting on the REAL DEAL from S&W confirming the facts of longevity in jepordy in model 19's by shooting to many 357's

I just bought a S&W 686. It ain't scared of no .357 round. :D

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    I just bought a S&W 686. It ain't scared of no .357 round. :D

Yes Sir I hear ya!

The model 19 ain't scared either. lol

Still waiting to get the source of Mr. Jimmy B's comments earlier about the model 19-4. Especially the engineering concerns.

I searched and could not find anything other than opinions.

But I've been made to eat crow before!!

Lets see if this is fact or fiction! All GOOD in the neighborhood!

Happy Veterans Day

VeteransDayGraphicSmall.jpg

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    That's because no such statement exists; or has existed. S&W knew that those affected by the "limit"; the cops and other high-volume shooters; were already well aware of the issue. The average nimrod/sportsman/customer would never even come close to "wearing the gun out"... so no need to alarm the hoi polloi.;)

Thanks I thought the stuff I heard/ read was URBAN Legand! lol

urbanlegend01.jpg

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom