WTS: Original Hungarian AMD 65

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djrpm

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello all,

I have an original factory built hungarian amd 65 brand new in box from TGI arms. It is on the original FEG - hungary receiver. It has never been fired and is in the original box.

US compliance parts include:

3 - Tapco G2 fire control group
    1 - Extended muzzlebreak
    2 - magazine follower and floorplate.

Price: $425

This was recently purchased to sit in the safe, but I have to fund school for my last semester.

The first "I will take it" in my PMs will have first dibs at the rifle.

Thanks for looking.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    charliepapa, if you want to use foreign mags and drums there are a couple of relatively easy/inexpensive ways to do that on the AMD and still have the required compliance parts. Ak-builder has stainless AMD gas pistons for $17.50 and you can get new US beech grips for $30 a pair at Copes. The grips are designed to replace the plastic grips like on this rifle and don't have the cap cut like those designed for rifles that came with wood grips.

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29817

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1994

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    charliepapa, if you want to use foreign mags and drums there are a couple of relatively easy/inexpensive ways to do that on the AMD and still have the required compliance parts. Ak-builder has stainless AMD gas pistons for $17.50 and you can get new US beech grips for $30 a pair at Copes. The grips are designed to replace the plastic grips like on this rifle and don't have the cap cut like those designed for rifles that came with wood grips.

thanks for the info. yeah, I have the rifle now and noticed that the 20rd tapco mag that came with it is kind of wobbly but a plain old everyday 30rd steel mag is a much better fit so I would prefer to go that route.

as far as the grips, I suppose I could also use any other U.S. made grips like a Hogue as well as the U.S. made birch ones, right?

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    That's what I did. A US made regular old AK grip for the front and a Hogue grip for the rear. Works like a charm and I dont get that "rubber" feeling that I hate so much. Change out the gas pistol and you are set to use foreign mags.

Then I went here: http://www.amd65tech.com/High-Performance-AK.html and got the cheek riser and sling ring and it turned into a really great shooting rifle with proper cheek weld.

Kasey

Last edited:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29817

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1994

If that is an original, Hungarian made gun, then why would you have to worry about 922r?

The ATF sees the receiver as the gun so if it was imported legally from Hungary then you shouldn't need to comply with 922r.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    BTW, Hungarian would have to be preban, i.e. worth a whole lot more.
    Also, AMD-65s had barrels shorter than 16".
    Most European makers mark the trunnion instead of the receiver.
    How do you ID it as being an original Hungarian receiver?
    It may be possible that the receiver was imported pre ban and then assembled with an AMD-65 parts kit, but unlikely, right?

I dunno if I've ever seen a pre ban AMD-65, but I'm no expert.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If that is an original, Hungarian made gun, then why would you have to worry about 922r?

The ATF sees the receiver as the gun so if it was imported legally from Hungary then you shouldn't need to comply with 922r.

It doesn't work like that. A WASR is a Romanian gun but it still has to follow 922r if you convert it out of single stack configuration (which is why they were allowed be to imported, no AK mag acceptance, no bayo lug, no brake, etc.). Where the receiver is made has no bearing on 922r, only the date of importation. Only guns brought in before the 1989 ban (such as original Norincos, not MAK90's) are exempt from 922r.

BTW, Hungarian would have to be preban, i.e. worth a whole lot more.
    Also, AMD-65s had barrels shorter than 16".
    Most European makers mark the trunnion instead of the receiver.
    How do you ID it as being an original Hungarian receiver?
    It may be possible that the receiver was imported pre ban and then assembled with an AMD-65 parts kit, but unlikely, right?

I dunno if I've ever seen a pre ban AMD-65, but I'm no expert.

It's not a pre-ban. Consulting the book "AK-47: The Grim Reaper" it says that only 7,000 Hungarian rifles were imported pre-ban and those had either solid stocks or underfolding stocks. No AMD-65 rifles during that time. A post-ban sporter model, the SA-85M, was imported but it looked like a regular AK with a thumbhole stock. Original AMD-65 guns had 12.5" barrels. To be built as non-NFA guns a barrel extension and original muzzle brake are welded on. Or since the barrel ban they just use longer barrels to start with. The receiver says FEG Hungary on it. Here's a pic I found.

ak02.jpg

Up until a matter of months ago you could just buy these online from retailers like J&G or AIM Surplus. They're no more valuable than any other AMD as far as I've seen on retail prices. From other pics I see the bottom of the receiver says "SA 2000M". Apparently this was a single stack sporter model AK brought in post-ban but before the 1998 sporter AK ban. I'm surprised that model wasn't in The Grim Reaper book. Here's some good info on that original gun.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/sa2000m.php

According to this post and confirmed by this post just the single stack FEG receivers were available at one time. I suppose that's where TGI got them. Here's a good post just about those receivers. And here's a WayBack Machine copy of the page at Centerfire when they were selling these receivers for $50. Seems high for a receiver you have to do a lot of machining to. TGI must have bought up the last of them cheap.

Last edited:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    OH, I see now. Single stack convert. I sit corrected.

Still a very nice price for Euro receiver with mag well dimples, pivot pin hole reinforcement dimples, Euro barrel, etc. gun assembled in Hungary.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    OH, I see now. Single stack convert. I sit corrected.

Still a very nice price for Euro receiver with mag well dimples, pivot pin hole reinforcement dimples, Euro barrel, etc. gun assembled in Hungary.

I'm glad you asked about because I had wondered about it back when they first came out but never bothered to do the research. I wasn't aware they were selling just the receivers at one point.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom