Wanting to build an AR15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    i picked up a couple stripped DPMS lowers (the forged ones, not the cast ones) almost two years ago. one of them was going to be an M4gery build, the other was to be a match rifle.

what type of AR are you wanting to build?

plans for the M4gery are:
    - RRA 2stg LPK (installed)
    - Hogue pistol grip (installed)
    - good ol 6 position (haven't ordered yet)
    - CMMG 14.7" M4 profile upper w/ perm A2 hider, A3 (haven't ordered yet)
    - either an aimpoint or eotech (haven't decided, need to fondle up some other people's guns to see what i'm more comfortable with)
    - some form of BUIS

i like the CMMG uppers b/c of the 1/7 twist rate.

plans for the match rifle were (past tense b/c my roommate bought that lower)
    - frank white trigger + other standard LPK items
    - white oak armament service rifle upper
    - regular A2 stock w/ whatever weight deemed necessary.

Last edited:

SzUrGoT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Stag lowers are top notch. The deer head I could do without, but the quality makes is worth it, and you can get them cheap. If I were to have one AR, It would probably be a 16'' midlength with a collapsible stock.

But with so many options available for the AR, even that description leaves alot up to personal preference.

My best advice is to come to a local AR15 shoot and check out everything up close before you buy something and end up changing the components for something you like better.

The good news is you will end up getting more than one (I am on my third) and you can always do something different with the second one.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I want an AR... looking heavily at the RRA Entry Tactical, any opinions? seems to be good for the money

RRA is an excellent choice. Top quality at a reasonable price. If you have any mechanical abilities (or even if you don't), consider building it yourself.

Only a few AR specific tools are needed and if you live in the Baton Rouge area I will gladly share mine.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've looked at different kits and such to build an AR, the price doesnt really seem much different from buying a complete rifle, plus all of the different options and variables leave me clueless. Theres so much information and different versions out there that its difficult for a beginner to know where to start, I've never even fired an AR lol. Before I got into LE, the only firearms I had any worthwhile experience with were shotguns.

SzUrGoT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    I've looked at different kits and such to build an AR, the price doesnt really seem much different from buying a complete rifle, plus all of the different options and variables leave me clueless. Theres so much information and different versions out there that its difficult for a beginner to know where to start, I've never even fired an AR lol. Before I got into LE, the only firearms I had any worthwhile experience with were shotguns.

Come to the shoot on Oct 1st. There will be lots of AR's in different configurations and people are friendly about letting you shoot them

Here is me shooting my RRA entry tactical at sherburne
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjszurgot/DSC00194.jpg

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm going to try and come, wonder how the Glock 17 does at 100 yards.... lol

ar15sales.com (legal transfers on ar15.com) has the entry tactical for 869, seems to be the best deal around that I've found. I'm not sure if they can do any LE pricing or anything... Glock is real good about LE pricing, you have a commission you get the price. Some places require a dept. letter, not sure if I could get one since it would be for personal use not work related.

SzUrGoT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    I'm going to try and come, wonder how the Glock 17 does at 100 yards.... lol

ar15sales.com (legal transfers on ar15.com) has the entry tactical for 869, seems to be the best deal around that I've found. I'm not sure if they can do any LE pricing or anything... Glock is real good about LE pricing, you have a commission you get the price. Some places require a dept. letter, not sure if I could get one since it would be for personal use not work related.

I got mine at rbprecision.com, they have great prices on RRA stuff and are good people.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I emailed Legal Transfers asking if they had LEO pricing on the RRA's, as well a price on the LMT rifle they were advertising for Military and LEO's... This will have to wait til around christmas when I get my check from working LSU games, but, i WILL own one...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Eaglefirearms.net also seems to have some good prices on RRA AR's with some different options for each configuration.

SzUrGoT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    It looks like that site has some good prices. I'll probably be picking up the Tactical CAR A4 if I decide not to build.

Building is easy, saves money, you get exactly what you want and you learn alot about the rifle.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Building is easy,
    True.

saves money,
    You can save a couple hundred bucks. And if $$$ is a problem, you can spread the purchases out so it is less of an impact.

you get exactly what you want
    Suppose you want a RRA Entry Tactical with an ACE stock and Vortex FH. Building it yourself saves the trouble and cost of having to replace stuff you don't want.

and you learn alot about the rifle.
    Priceless.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but building doesnt seem to be much cheaper than buying a complete rifle...

edit: played with it a little bit... got it to around 700 with a model1sales upper and a global tactical lower... way too many options out there! to build a 16" M4 w/chrome lined barrel and a flip-up rear sight.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    yeah... and savings on that is still ALOT of money to me lol. I dont plan on adding much to something like the entry tactical... a free float rail and a light will probably fix me, possibly an eotech or similar sight

SzUrGoT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but building doesnt seem to be much cheaper than buying a complete rifle...

edit: played with it a little bit... got it to around 700 with a model1sales upper and a global tactical lower... way too many options out there! to build a 16" M4 w/chrome lined barrel and a flip-up rear sight.

From this it sounds like you are thinking of buying a complete lower from one place and a complete upper from another and calling that "building". All you are doing in that case is slapping one on top of the other and pushing two pins, and I can see how you wouldnt save much, someone else is doing the work.:o

I am talking about buying parts and assembling them into complete upper and lower receivers. This is where the flexibility and savings comes into play. The internet has lots of bargains for the thrifty shopper.

You also gain the gunsmithing experience by this. I bought my first AR complete and have pretty much totally reconfigured it. My second AR (a 9mm) I built the lower up from a stripped receiver and bought a complete RRA upper , but then added a rail and other goodies. I am in the planning stages of my third and plan to build the entire thing.

Like CalvaryJIm mentioned, you can spread the cost out this way too. I spent 100 bucks a month on a part. I would then spend the rest of the month finding the best price for the next part and so on. Gives me something to do and keeps me off the streets.:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom