Ruger sr 556 opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • do2gomike

Apr 24, 2009
    lafitte,la
    Cool platform wanted one but my buddy brought one had nothing but problems with it so convinced myself not to get one When it fired it was smooth

roundabout

Jun 8, 2010
    Central Louisiana
    I really haven't shot my SR556 a lot but I haven't had any problems with it. If S&W had the line-up that they have now, I would likely have gone with one of the S&W's. On another note, I'm looking into another AR 308; I've heard a lot good about the Rock River and they offer a 1MOA guarantee. A club member has a standard A4 Rock River 308 and says it lives-up to the guarantee. May be worth checking out their 5.56 models to see if something turns you on.

lajeeper

heartless conservative
    Oct 28, 2009
    BR
    I own one and haven't experienced a single hiccup. To be fair, I've only put about 300 rounds through quality magazines through it. I don't regret purchasing it for a second.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think it's a heavy piston gun with the wrong barrel twist. The Carrier Group design has shown a propencity to cavitate under recoil. It is a relatively immature piston design. I think for the money you would be better served getting a LMT gun.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    IMHO the only mature and evaluated piston systems on the market are: The HK416, LMT, and LWRC. There are others like the Adams Conversion or the Adams equipped Stag Rifles that are a mixed bag. The truth is 99.9% of shooters will never shoot enough to realize the advantages of Piston Operating Systems. You will however get to deal with all of the drawbacks; weight, less inherent accuracy, cost and expensive proprietary parts. No thanks make mine DI.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    I have never had a problem with DI. I just hate the boing, boing, boing when I shoot. :)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Feb 22, 2008
    Get a better stock. I shot Vltors and I don't hear the spring at all. Truth be told though I never really heard it with my GI stocks.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lube the recoil spring and the "boing" goes away.

Lube is your friend. Always.

Last edited:

JWG223

Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I am not a fan of piston systems. LWRC used their customers as a T&E bed from what I saw, I didn't like it.

Buy LMT/Noveske/Colt, etc. etc.

Just my .02

The design of the AR was as such that piston systems are a poor solution. The forces induced in cycling a piston AR go against the design. If you want a piston gun, get a gun that was designed to be one from the ground up, that has a BCG system not prone to tilt, that interfaces with steel rails, that distributes the force of the piston in an equal manner, etc.

A Piston AR is like a man trying to run backwards. Sure, with enough trial and error he can get good enough at it, and he won't have shin-splints anymore, but I sure wouldn't want to have him on the football team.

Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    IMHO the only mature and evaluated piston systems on the market are: The HK416, LMT, and LWRC. There are others like the Adams Conversion or the Adams equipped Stag Rifles that are a mixed bag. The truth is 99.9% of shooters will never shoot enough to realize the advantages of Piston Operating Systems. You will however get to deal with all of the drawbacks; weight, less inherent accuracy, cost and expensive proprietary parts. No thanks make mine DI.

You really have to stop holding it in and say what you really mean.

Keeping it all inside will only hurt YOU. :)

james758

Mar 2, 2012
    Oak Ridge TN/Pismo Beach CA
    I agree on the piston AR's. It has gotten to the point that there are as many proprietary piston systems as there are AR's out there. Frankly, the AR was meant to be DI and making such a radical design change to it is just illogical. But everyone wants to get on that band wagon. If you REALLY want a piston driven gun, get one that was made from the ground up to be a piston gun, like a SIG 556, or a ACR, or XCR or something. I have the SIG 556 and I am VERY happy with it. It has come down in price quite a bit since it was introduced and its about the same price as a descent AR. Its actually cheaper than a cheap AR with a piston kit added on to it.
    I just can't resist the chance to post a pic of my end of the world gun
    sig556.jpg
    [/IMG]

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I agree on the piston AR's. It has gotten to the point that there are as many proprietary piston systems as there are AR's out there. Frankly, the AR was meant to be DI and making such a radical design change to it is just illogical. But everyone wants to get on that band wagon. If you REALLY want a piston driven gun, get one that was made from the ground up to be a piston gun, like a SIG 556, or a ACR, or XCR or something. I have the SIG 556 and I am VERY happy with it. It has come down in price quite a bit since it was introduced and its about the same price as a descent AR. Its actually cheaper than a cheap AR with a piston kit added on to it.
    I just can't resist the chance to post a pic of my end of the world gun
    sig556.jpg
    [/IMG]

Non-folding stock? Either way, nice rifle!! :thumbsup:

james758

Mar 2, 2012
    Oak Ridge TN/Pismo Beach CA
    It came with the cheap folding stock, and I hated it. I found a "lightly used" pistol lower and put a tube on it, added the magpul stock. I HAVE the original folding lower, and SIG is now shipping 556 rifles with the Swiss type folding stock which is a HUGE improvement. Got to put my dirty dick skinners on one not long ago an its very solid. I might upgrade later and have 2 lowers. Eh, maybe I'll upgrade the stock later if they sell them standalone, then again, maybe not.

Enraged Gecko

Jun 14, 2012
    Walker, La
    I talked to SIG Sauer's customer service via e-mail a couple of years back about getting a 556 classic lower for my older model 556. The response I got was "SIG Sauer is not selling, nor has any plans to sell complete lower assemblies for 556 series rifles. If you find the rifle isn't satisfactory, we recommend that you sell it and buy a product that suits your needs". Ended up trading it in the marketplace a couple of weeks ago. The 556 is a reliable little rifle, but it doesn't hold a candle to my SCAR.

dirty_sanchez

Apr 15, 2009
    I have never had a problem with DI. I just hate the boing, boing, boing when I shoot. :)

Del-I hate the Boing after every shot as well.

An old trick the Field Trial Spring Air Gun guys do is to apply just a bit of heavy bodied grease to their guns main spring. The grease dampens the resonant frequency to the point it's not noticable.

No more boing. My Beeman crack barrel spring gun does not boing thanks to the grease.

Every AR I've ever shot goes boing because there's no light coating of grease on the big spring.

My AR does not go boing. Try it.

Dirty

peaveymaster

Feb 5, 2012
    Crowley,La
    I use mine for SWAT. It has never failed me and works magic with EOTECH optics. Weight is a bit on the heavy end but not enough to complain about. No deviation in accuracy compared to gas blowback or DI model AR'S. I've been shooting assault rifles since childhood and I don't regret buying this rifle at all.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom