Revelation - Ruger Old Army

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Just found out that there is a conversion kit available that allows you to convert a MODERN Ruger Old Army .44cal cap and ball revo into a .45 LC... Apparently the bore of the OA is actually .452 and the frame is based off the Blackhawk.

I can get my hands on a stainless model very easily but hadn't pursued it because of the fact it takes 10 times longer to load than to shoot. Has anyone tried one of these???

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Not for the ruger, but for one of the other variants avalable (Remington coppy IIRC)

What do you want to know?

They arn't cheap, and require some fitting, and as you said are slow.

Best for 'unregistered' or place where there are other issues IMHO...

Also a .38 Special one for 36 Cal BP.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Not for the ruger, but for one of the other variants avalable (Remington coppy IIRC)

There isn't a bunch of factual info I could locate. Everything I've found were simply opinions. I'm looking for concrete feedback.

It looks like the ones for the Ruger are simple drop-ins. Is that the case or is smithing necessary? Even with the centerfire adaptor ring is the cyl long enough to fit a 45LC round? Is the rate of twist sufficient? Finally, does the cyl need to be removed to unload/load?

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA

There is for sale, right now, on Cabela's website (Gun Library) a conversion kit fitted Ruger Old Army in both .45 Colt and .45 black powder. Check the Handguns section, IIRC, either page 21 thru 23.

www.cabelas.com

Just sayin.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    There isn't a bunch of factual info I could locate. Everything I've found were simply opinions. I'm looking for concrete feedback.

It looks like the ones for the Ruger are simple drop-ins. Is that the case or is smithing necessary? Even with the centerfire adaptor ring is the cyl long enough to fit a 45LC round? Is the rate of twist sufficient? Finally, does the cyl need to be removed to unload/load?

All I can speak to was the one my buddy had... (ie NOT a ruger)

It was advertised as 'drop in' but took fitting (Think like the 'Drop in 1911 beavertails')

It was long enough for the LC, IIRC there are 45ACP and LC cylinders out there.

Don't know about the twist rate

You had to remove the Cylinder to reload. (STILL quicker than BP)

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Found the old thread here so brought back from the dead. The kit I have is made nice and also bought a replacement rod to make it easy. Figured I would post a Picture of how they look.

Attachments

• OLD ARMY2.JPG
      OLD ARMY2.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 104
    Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This is for the Rugers as they are made on the same 2 screw Frames as BlackHawks.
    You can use 45Colt Smokeless Loads for Colt not Ruger-T/C ones

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
      P1010001.jpg
      280.2 KB · Views: 121
    • P1010002.jpg
      P1010002.jpg
      282.3 KB · Views: 107
    Last edited:

Bastridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Elkton,Fl
    Not trying to offend any train of thought just posting on the issue of the baddest .44 Bp pistol ever made IMHO. I bought my first ROA in about 1978 or so. I took it it home and all I had were .490 round balls I pressed them in and they shot just fine and the sledgehammer of a bp pistol was super accurate. I never should have sold it to my best friend. I had many many good times with it. Never wanted for a better bp pistol. I am kind of addicted to .44 cal firearms. I have a parkerized Colt
    Anaconda, a Charter Arms .44 spec bulldog, a Marlin 1894 and a Taurus Raging Bull. I love to reload the .44. The ROA started it all. I just purchased a 1981 SS ROA. Will history repeat itself? I know not. After all the blah blah blah I just bored you all with, I personally would never mod any of these guns except when I lightened the trigger on the Taurus.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Welcome to the group! My brother purchased his SS one in 1983 and man we loved shooting that beauty. I was surprised initially at how accurate it was and thought about buying one myself but ended up buying a Steyr GB instead. He still has his and shoots it occasionally and his kids love it too. I too have the Steyr.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom