What is considered to be a good group at 100 yards?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I know this is somewhat of a silly question to all of you veteran competition shooters but, what is considered to be a good group at 100 yards?

I just posted another post in the rifle section of the forum asking for some advice on getting glasses for my 43 year old eyes and got several great responses. But, it led me to wonder if I'm expecting too much of my eyesight. I'm just trying to find a milestone for myself to acheive and would like to know where I stand and help me to know what questions I need to ask to improve my shooting.

I am just now getting into bench shooting with optics. I'm shooting a Remington 700 Police in .308win with a 4x16 tactical scope. I am currently shooting between .410 & .475 groups at 100 yards (measuring outside of bullet holes at widest point & subtracting .308 from it). I'm sure I still have a long way to go but, given the above info what kind of groups should I try aiming for and what type of competition shooting would I want to get into?

I will sincerely appreciate any comments or criticism.

Thanks!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Sounds like you're shooting fine to me but the topic is relative I guess. But since you asked I won't own a rifle that shoots bigger than 1" at 100 yds. I don't shoot competition though

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    After I posted, I thought about the way I worded about the groups I was shooting and I do not want to be misleading. When I say I'm shooting between .410 & .475 groups...This is not consistent groups, time after time. I still have some flyers but, when I have a good group this is what I'm getting.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'm a lifelong big-game hunter and I will tell you right off the bat; you're shooting a very good group. However, KZ45 is right, no need to subtract the diameter of the bullet from the size of the group. You're doing very well. Also, it may help if you (or we) knew what you were sighting in for (hunting, competition, etc).

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I've read before, I thought in this forum, groups are measured at the center of point of impact. If this is incorrect, just add .308 to those group measurements and please let me know the correct way to measure groups.

Thanks!

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    If you are 1 MOA or under at 100 yards, you will be 6 MOA or under at 600 yards. This is the size of the 10 ring on a F-Class target at 600 yards. If you are consistently shooting groups under 1 MOA you are shooting/grouping well.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Why are subtracting .308 from it

Rather than measure center to center or outside right to outside right (or left-left) of bullet holes or inside right to inside right (or left-left) of bullet holes he is measuring outside left to outside right of bullet holes - OD of projectile.

Last edited:

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    That's pretty good coming from a factory gun.
    His method for measuring his group is the proper way to get the true group size.
    Either that or measure center of bullet hole to center of bullet hole without subtracting for bullet diameter. His method is easier.

Art

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If you are 1" MOA or under at 100 yards, you will be 6" MOA or under at 600 yards. This is the size of the 10 ring on a F-Class target at 600 yards. If you are consistently shooting groups under 1 MOA you are shooting/grouping well.

Normally, this is true, but he's using a .308. A .308 will never reach a target 600 yards away.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Rather than measure center to center or outside right to outside right ( or left-left) of bullet holes or inside right to inside right ( or left - left) of bullet holes he is measuring outside left to outside right f bullet holes - OD of projectile.
    I kind of figured that, I was just asking why, if you shoot a 10 shot .308 hole, measure from the right side of the hole to the left side and then sub .308 from that your shooting a . now that's good shooting:rofl:

ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I'm very interested in competition shooting but, also enjoy hunting. My interest in precision shooting for hunting is this...If I'm not 100% positive I will retrieve the game, I won't take the shot.

I have always had a great interest in making long range shots but, have never really tried it. There is something about being able to make a bullet hit a target at extreme ranges that intruiges me.

Top Bottom