Bobby Jindal's letter to me regarding H.R. 1022 (and other gun related stuff)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I sent this letter via email to Bobby Jindal regarding H.R. 1022 (Assault Weapons Ban #2) around March 12th or so:

Dear Representative Jindal,

I am writing you in opposition to House Bill 1022, introduced on February 13, 2007 by New York Rep. McCarthy. This bill would actively seek to limit the rights of U.S. citizens by imposing draconian restrictions on our Second Amendment rights. This bill is a reimplementation of the failed Brady Bill “Assault Weapon” ban that attacks legally owned firearms on the basis on their appearance.
    This bill is framed by its supporters as a method of reducing violent crime. The facts are, however, that so-called “assault weapons” are used in less than one percent of all homicides according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Uniform Crime Statistics.
    The original Brady Bill was wisely allowed to sunset by Congress in 2004 because of the complete lack of efficacy in deterring crime. The only effect that it had was limiting the constitutionally guaranteed rights that we as American citizens have. With these facts in mind I respectfully ask you to actively oppose any attempts to move this bill forward, and oppose any other attempted infringements on our Bill of Rights."

Sincerely,

(my name)

I checked the mail around the 19th or so, and saw I had a letter addressed to me with "Congress of the United States House of Representatives" as the sender. I opened it up, and here is what was inside:

Dear Mr. (my name)

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1022 and renewed attempts to ban guns in America. It is an honor to represent the people of Louisiana, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns.

I am proud to protect law-abiding citizens' Constitutional right to bear arms and defend their lives, families, and property against lawless criminals. I am a firm advocate of every American's Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to be an advocate for upholding these rights.

As you may know, Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) introduced the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act (H.R. 1022) in the House of Representatives on January 13, 2007. This legislation would prohibit civilian ownership or transfer of any weapon termed as an assault weapon by the bill. The bill also adds 65 new guns to the list of guns termed assault weapons. This bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. Although I do not serve on the committee, I will share your concerns with my colleagues who do, and I will continue to be a vocal advocate for protecting our Second Amendment right in the House of Representatives.

I have also been a vocal supporter of other legislation to protect the rights of gun owners in Louisiana. The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees "the right of the people to keep and bear arms," and Congress has repeatedly recognized this language as protecting an individual right. Yet, in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, law-abiding residents of South Louisiana had their firearms confiscated. This is outrageous, especially when you remember the "you loot, we shoot" signs posted by residents to protect their property and to warn criminals.

That is why I introduced the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006 (H.R. 5013) in the House of Representatives during the 109th Congress. My bill will prevent this

(Page 2)

from happening during future disasters. I was proud to have my colleagues in the House of Representatives pass this legislation on July 26, 2006 by a vote of 322 to 99. The final version of my bill was included in the Fiscal Year 2006 Homeland Security Appropriations bill, which was signed into law by the president on October 4, 2006.

My bill had widespread bipartisan support with more than 150 co-sponsers, including an endorsement from the national Fraternal Order of Police. The Fraternal Order of Police endorsement recognized that law-abiding gun owners pose no risk to law enforcement officers or other first responders.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina last year, there were multiple cases of law-abiding residents, trying to protect themselves and their property, being forced to give up their firearms. These confiscations were apparently carried out at gunpoint, by nonconsensual entries into private homes, traffic checkpoints, stoppage of boats, and other showings of force.

My bill prohibits any agency using federal disaster relief funds from seizing firearms from law-abiding citizens in their cars, homes, and businesses. This legislation would not prevent confiscating guns from convicted felons, and would have no effect on law enforcement operations outside of disaster relief situations.

During the storms, state and local law enforcement and public safety service organizations , despite their heroic efforts, could not always be present in every place at every time to prevent looting and to protect first responders. Too often, the safety of these citizens, and of their homes and property, was threatened by instances of criminal activity. These citizens lawfully kept firearms for the safety of themselves, their loved ones, their businesses, and their property, as guaranteed by the Second Amendment, and used their firearms, individually or in concert with their neighbors, for protection against crime.

At least one highly-qualified search and rescue team was prevented from joining in relief efforts because the team included individuals with firearms, although these individuals had been deputized as federal law enforement officers. These confiscations and prohibitions, and the means by which they were carried out, deprived law-abiding citizens of Louisiana not only of their right to keep and bear arms, but also of their rights to personal security, personal liberty, and private property, all in violation of the Constitution and laws of the United States.

I introduced this legislation to prevent this from being an issue in future national emergencies and to once again stand with the thousands of Louisianians who exercise their Constitutional rights. If we are victimized again by another massive hurricane, I want to be able to protect my wife and our three young children, and I want any potential looters to think twice before they come through the front door.

You may also be interested to know that I co-sponsored four bills protecting the right of gun owners in the 109th Congress:

(Page 3)

* The Firearms Corrections and Improvements Act
    This bill would eliminate unnecessary restrictions and correct errors in federal laws concerning firearms.

* The District of Columbia Personal protection Act
    This legislation seeks to restore the Second Amendment rights to citizens living in the District of Columbia, which were taken away by the Firearms Control Regulations Act in 1975.

* The Firearm Commerce Modernization Act
    This act aims to update certain procedures applicable to commerce in firearms and remove certain federal restrictions on interstate firearms transactions.

* To amend title 18, united Stated Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a state may carry concealed firearms in the state.
    This legislation seeks to allow the carrying of concealed firearms in states by non-residents. Between March 1, 2004 and February 28, 2005, the State of Louisiana issued 1,174 permits to carry a concealed firearm. This bill will allow those permits to be valid in accordance with the laws of all states, not just Louisiana.

I am proud to protect law-abiding citizens' Constitutional right to bear arms and defend their lives, families, and property against lawless criminals. I am a firm advocate of every American's Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to be an advocate for upholding these rights.

Please continue to keep me informed of your views on matter of importance. I invite you to visit my website at www.Jindal.house.gov for more information. Please do not hesitate to contact my office in the future on matters of concern to you.

Very Truly Yours,

Bobby Jindal
    Member of Congress

Last edited:

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    He had my vote in the last election for Governor, and he'll have it again in 2008. There is no doubt in my mind things would have been different during Katrina had he been Governor.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom