Mossin Nagant?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Whats the draw to this firearm? They're really cheap and old is the only thing I can come up with. Ya'll help me out so I dont feel like I'm missing something.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Pluses:

Really old design. Work horse of the Russian army for two world wars. So simple even a Russian peasant can't kill it. CHEAP!, you can buy one and customize the poop out it and still have not broke the bank

Minuses:

Really old design. Vague sh!tty trigger. Very OLD school safety.

With aftermarket modern trigger it's pretty accurate. It's what 98k's, 1917's and 1903a3's were back in the 1950's and 1960's. Cheap to buy and customize.

Dave

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Don't use the safety. Don't chamber until you're ready to fire.

Nostalgia. Knowing you're using one of the guns that helped stop the Nazis....

Its a good bolt gun. A bit rough, but it works. Its accurate enough to bring in deer at 150 yards. Some are quite accurate. There's a video on youtube of someone shooting an accurized one at 1000 yards. It can be done.

They're cheap now. It won't last forever, so get one. Actually, if you're one to worry about SHTF, buy enough to arm half the neighborhood. They make great stocking stuffers for the kids too...

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I read a thread some where. Beats me where. It was about a guy that was turning a Mosin Nagant into a competition rifle of some sort. The amount of money he'd dumped into was very impressive.

Dave

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    the fact that the most of them have probably been used in a war or world war and probably have killed someone is really amazing! i love the history that the gun could probably tell is it could say anything other than BANG

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    Start with affordability, then the sweet crack when the trigger is pulled.....keeps going from there. Accessories are abundant and enexpensive, accuracy is predictable, simple to clean, cheap ammo. The rifle has the capability to satisfy a large variety of needs from cost to kill.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It was my first firearm because it was so inexpensive (I payed a little more for mine, but it was in pristine condition and made in 1929, before the war). Fun to shoot and very accurate. What's not to like?! :p

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I might have to get one just for the history then. I need another gun cabinet now though.

****, with it being replaceable for $80, I'd just hang it on the wall, or put it in the corner. Just take the bolt out and keep that in the safe, if you got little ones around and worry about safety, rather than theft. That's what I do with the cheaper guns that aren't worth the expensive cubic-inches in the safe.

At least with the run of the mill 91/30. Now if you had some Civil Guard Finn rifle or pristine condition M1891 or something, I could see it :P

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    It's the last of the mil-surps.

There was a gun shop in Pensacola that you could walk into and buy any varity of enfield, mauser, mas, sks or whatever. He just has M/N's and new guns now...sigh.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Whats the draw to this firearm? They're really cheap and old is the only thing I can come up with. Ya'll help me out so I dont feel like I'm missing something.

Fun and cheap to shoot. You did notice that this the the Curio and Relic forum. :)

Old is not a good word vintage is much better.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    LoL, ok my mistake all you vintage posters sure love those vintage guns. :dogkeke:

I wish I had a cabelas store on this end of the state. I havent heard of BPS selling any. I havent looked over there either though.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I have a bunch of guns and the Mosin is close to the bottom of list of the guns I like the most. But, then I do have something like 35 or so Mosins.
    I like the M91 the most and have 7 of them.
    They are fun to collect, because there are so many directions that you can go with.
    You can go with just the 91/30. You have prewar (WII), War time and post war. You have Ex-Dragoons and Ex-snipers and there is also Finn marked 91/30s
    Then there are the carbines. The M38, M44, the 91/59s and the Chinese Type 53s. and that is just a few of them.
    Don't forget the M91s and the US built M91s.
    And there are the Dragoons.
    Then there is also the Finn built rifles, M27, M28, M28/30 , M39, M91s and 91/30.
    So there is a lot of reasons for collecting Mosins even if you don't like them, History. :cool:

Top Bottom