New Ruger 308 Scout Carbine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The current generation of Semi-Auto Sniper Platforms are consistently providing 1/2 MOA accuracy to competent users on the battlefield. I would readily take your bet to shoot for groups. If your cluster is tinier than mine it is more likely you are a better shot not that your gear is better.

Norm Chandler at Iron Brigade Armory custom Builds M-40 Type Sniper Rifles by hand. He is a meticulous guy and Im sure he squeezes every ounce of accuracy out his platform. The guys at AI do the same thing; hand build sniper rifles. This is not inherent accuracy it is tuned accuracy. I would hardly compare it to what your are going to buy from a factory at Ruger or Steyr. It is also not what your gonna get from the factory at Knights. Now if you take that SR-25 and send it to the AMU and let them play with it for a few weeks I have no doubt it will be able to produce the same level of tuned accuracy as the IBA and AI guns you suggested.

I have roughly the same amount of time behind rifles that you do researching Zionist One World Government. I don't care what your friends own or you have shot. On this particular subject my lab is reality. At any rate the original point was the rifles weight. You win. The SR-25K is 3oz heavier.

Since you have a long history behind rifles then you do know that there are PRECIOUS FEW 1/2 minute of angle rifles. Sniper rifles also fit that criteria (1/2 MOA and sub 1/2 MOA, that is); they are usually sub-MOA rifles which is "good enough" - and they certainly are.

Yep, I know Norm and Rocky.

As for AI, they aren't "tuned" in the manner that IBA goes over their M40 rifles. For them it's in the initial design and controlling dimensions. The chassis helps out a helluva lot, too. But you know this already. The barrel and the barrel/receiver interface is huge and it's here that AI excels. Yeah, I know guys there, too.

As for the accuracy at Steyr... they freaking shoot and they aren't hand massaged at the factory. Again, control the things that need controlling; and they have CHF barrels (something that many will tell you "won't work" in a precision rifle) and they are 10 shot 3/4 MOA rifles all the week long.

Yes, one can take a semi and REALLY work to get it to shoot similarly to the finest bolt guns but at what expense? Reliability? Maintenance intervals? Durability? Hell, the most accurate rifles are Benchrest Rifles and they are NOT "sniper rifles" - tolerances are too tight. But they do shoot exceptionally small groups.

You consider yourself a Rifle Shooter so there is very little here that will be new to you; maybe the Steyr and AI info but that's little stuff (and they'd not share the technical intricacies to satisfy my curiousity so I cannot offer much more info on them (from them).

Suffice it to say that they all can be made accurate (very accurate, in fact) but there are pluses and minuses to all. For absolute accuracy it's still Bolt-Gun. The proper question is "How much accuracy is needed?"

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ya'll are missing the point. Intrinsic accuracy (benchrest) is important, but its not the only thing. Imagine trying to hunt with a benchrest gun in heavy woods. You'd never find the deer in the scope. That long barrel would get hung up. You'd get fatigued quicker carrying the extra weight.
    You need to try carrying a rifle like this in the woods. Shoot at some pop up targets. They you'll start to appreciate what Jeff Cooper had in mind.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ya'll are missing the point. Intrinsic accuracy (benchrest) is important, but its not the only thing. Imagine trying to hunt with a benchrest gun in heavy woods. You'd never find the deer in the scope. That long barrel would get hung up. You'd get fatigued quicker carrying the extra weight.
    You need to try carrying a rifle like this in the woods. Shoot at some pop up targets. They you'll start to appreciate what Jeff Cooper had in mind.
    Agreed. Initially, I thought the Steyr version to be, well, odd and overpriced. Until I was allowed to keep one for a weekend. Holy Toledo!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    It was overpriced. That's why I don't have one. I really didn't see the need for the fold out bipod (its a field gun, shoot off a stump or backpack) and the stock mounted ammo carrier (neat idea, but its a novelty). Forward mounted scope mount I could live without. Now an accurate 7 pound rifle with a 16" barrel, that has me interested.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    No, but mounting the mag into a well in the stock is. Not a bad idea, but it doesn't make the gun worth $2K. And I would be concerned the folding bipod would affect point of aim.

I am curious though since a few of you stay in contact with some of the professional trainers. Have they had a Scout (steyr, Ruger, or Savage) show up in a class? How did they do?

And for those clamoring for a smaller mag, Ruger shows a 5 round available.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom