New Ruger 308 Scout Carbine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm currently looking at 308 bolt-action carbines and this was in my e-mail tonight... Any opinions?

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Introducing the Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle, the ideal "fighting carbine" in .308 Winchester that is a credible rendition of Col. Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle concept. Cooper called for a relatively lightweight, hard hitting, do-all rifle that in the hands of an accomplished shooter was able to place accurate, sustained fire out to long ranges, yet was quick-handling and light enough for all-day carry.

Developed in conjunction with Gunsite instructor Ed Head, the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle is a new platform in the Ruger M77® family. While the Scout Rifle has M77 features such as controlled round feed and integral scope mounts (scope rings included), the 10-round detachable box magazine is the first clue this isn't your grandfather's Ruger rifle.

"Ruger has taken an in depth look at the intended purpose of a Scout Rifle and developed a full-featured rifle designed to meet the Scout Rifle criteria of hunt, fight, defend," says Head. "This firearm offers outstanding features in an affordable, versatile and reliable rifle designed to deliver .308 Winchester performance in a variety of situations. It is compact, lightweight, offers 10-round box magazines, can be fit to the individual shooter, and accommodates a host of optics. It is a serious rifle for those serious about rifles."

As they say, beware the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it. Never has this been more true than with the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, the one rifle to have if you could only have one. It is the perfect lightweight, hard-hitting, do-it-all bolt-action rifle - where rugged, reliable Ruger meets the practical, tactical.

6803.jpg

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I got that email from ruger today also. Looks interesting.

I have to wonder what the advantage of a bolt action magazine fed rifle, if the barrel is only 16.5 inches.

Last edited:

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I've always loved the scout rifle concept. It looks like Ruger got this one right, or it's an attempt to build a rifle that does everything, but realistically isn't ideal for anything (which pretty-much sums up the compromise that is the scout rifle in the first place). I could think of worse things to throw money at ;)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Not many scopes are going to have that much eye relief. Sure you can mount it but you are not going to have a full sight picture with most optics. So immedately you are limiting your optics choices.

Grab a rifle you own and put the scope a foot away from your eye. A black circle is probably all you are going to see.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Initial reaction how do you mount a scope? 16.5" barrel you are going to have alot of flame.

I had a similar discussion with someone today on the 20" vs a 24" or 26". The opinion was that on a shorter cartridge like the 308, most of the powder was burned prior to the projectile clearing the barrel.

As to the issue of lost accuracy with shorter barrels, they also said that most of the M24 sniper rifles have 20" barrels (however, Wiki says 24" and 29") and those guys commonly make much longer shots that we do when hunting.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Muzzle is threaded 5/8x24 for your favorite add-ons. 1-10 twist for heavy rounds. Looks interesting. But what scope would put on it?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    what scope is that on yours in the picture?

Burris 2X pistol scope. I also had a BSA 2-7X35mm on it at one time... both were pistol scopes with something like 12-15" of eye relief. They actually worked fine.

You won't necessarily lose accuracy, you will loose some velocity, but you can still shoot pretty far with the short barrel. Very far for most LA hunting. That rifle was actually very handy toting around in the woods. I sold it because I had acquired several carbine length rifles and no long barreled rifles. The scout had the least sentimental value (zero actually). I really did like that rifle, but this new one is better.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Not many scopes are going to have that much eye relief. Sure you can mount it but you are not going to have a full sight picture with most optics. So immedately you are limiting your optics choices.

Grab a rifle you own and put the scope a foot away from your eye. A black circle is probably all you are going to see.

This is why you pick the scope for the application. There are a few long eye relief scope and even specific scout scopes out there. Lots of folks buy pistol scopes and many work well on scouts.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've got a 2.5 Leupold Scout Scope on my M1A scout...

Like it.

Like the Col's scout scope idea as well (I have had the honor of being his guest when he was alive)

I can't BELIEVE they didn't put a stripper clip guide on this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom