Looking for a cheap BOB gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I'm looking to toss a gun in my bug out bag.

If anyone has an old .22 revolver, brand doesn't matter, please let me know. Finish doesn't matter at all. Not looking to spend much, and I'm not expecting much. Just want something that goes bang out to 50 yards or so.

If you've got anything sitting in the back of the gun safe - please send me a PM.

DAVE

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    WTF is a bug out bag? Seriously, If I had a choice, I would have a reliable, nice quality fully functional revolver or semi-auto in my bag. I wouldn't want to be down to my last wep and it be a piece of crap. Just my thoughts. Stainless would also be a preference.

Last edited:

Cybrludite

B.O.W. Crew #3.14159
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Metairie
    Magpie,

A bug-out bag is a three-day emergency supply configured so you can just grab it and go. You'll see basic versions (of varying levels of utility) from companies as diverse as Emergency Essentials to Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Most of the pre-made kits are dangerously skimpy on the water. The little packets usually don't even amount to a one day supply. Hint: Your best bet is containers & purification gear, as carrying 24lbs (3 gallons, @ a minimum usage of a gallon per day) of water really sucks.

A decent .22 revolver with a brick of ammo is a very good pick for a BOB gun. I don't think Quickdraw was saying he wants a crap gun, so much as he's saying looks don't really matter like they normally would for other applications.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Magpie,
    A decent .22 revolver with a brick of ammo is a very good pick for a BOB gun. I don't think Quickdraw was saying he wants a crap gun, so much as he's saying looks don't really matter like they normally would for other applications.

Yep - don't really have room for a long gun. The .22 is my bullet of choice because you can carry a TON of rounds in a medicine bottle compared to 9mm or .45, and they are pretty deadly on small game up to a decent distance.

I usually leave the bag in the truck, and the humidity just eats the finish up on anything that's in there. Therefore, I planned on rubbing it down with cold blue so I could just leave it in there with no worries.

Thanks for helping with the Bug Out Bag definition Cybrludite.

DAVE

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    this is what's going in mine, interchangable mags and ammo with a 5.56/.223 rifle. it will fit in a laptop carrying case.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I know a few guys that keep them in their vehicles. Working on mine actually. It's not for when you're down to your last weapon so much as to ensure you always have gear near hand regardless of when/where/situation.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Personally, as cool as those things are, I would hate to lug that bastard around.

Even though semi-autos are reliable, I want a revolver because of it's simplicity, and it's toughness. A revolver can't jam (unless it's horribly dirty), and a revolver doesn't have to worry about all of the moving parts (slide, extractor, magazine) like an auto.

As stated before - I don't plan on having to shoot SOMEONE. If that need arises, I've got the AK with SC bullets. This pistol will be used for the hunting of small (less than 15 pounds) game. Hell, I say load a .22 revolver with some CCI Stinger rounds, and try to see what you CAN'T do with it.

I'm trying to snaggle an old JC Higgins revolver from a friend, but if he refuses to sell it (most likely), I would love to buy one from a member on here.

Thanks guys - DAVE

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    again....when would you NEED a BOB

Hell, when do you need insurance?? You need it in the event that something MIGHT happen.

That's what I consider this bag - insurance.

Maybe it's raining like hell, and the roads are closed. I can't leave work for lunch and get any food. LUCKILY I have some nice (already warm :D) cans of food in my pack. Hey, I've even got silverware too!!

This situation is one of the most realistic ones I can think of. It's actually happened a few times before.

Now say I'm in the middle of BFE at night. The truck blows it's intake gaskets, and the engine has turned into a pile of ****. Cell phone signal is zero (best coverage my ass!!), and you need to find a town before Tyrone and Darnell strip every single part off of your precious ride. That's when a BOB will come in handy. You have enough water, food, and anything else needed to make your trip.

I hope I will never have to NEED my BOB, but just in case I do, I will be damn happy if I have a well equipped one with me.

DAVE

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    I was trying to be funny. I well know what a bug out bag is. I've had one since 1998.
    Not everyone feels the need for one. I used to keep one in my vehicle and now don't. I do keep a few "essentials" in my vehicle in case there is an unforseen event preventing me from traveling on the highway to get home. Here is a very informative link for anyone who wishes to read and learn more about bugout bags, etc.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=506065

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    good to be prepared

i've wanted to make one for a while. lucky for me, work and school are within a few hours walk from home, i always have something similar when hunting in the forest though.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I have a Heritage Rough Rider as my beater gun. 6.5" bbl and fixed sights. Comes with .22lr & .22wmr cylinders.

It looks similar to this one except the bluing has caught hell bouncing around in my truck and riding around with me on my Big Red in the woods. I have come close to selling it a couple of times...seems everyone wants a beater gun, and they always want mine. :rofl:

RR22MBS6-lg.jpg

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I remember in the '50s that a big game hunter in Africa actually killed an elephant with a .22 rifle. He shot it behind the ear while he was up a tree. For a survival gun I do not think a .22 can be beat, rifle, that is.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom