Wtb: Ar-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WCshooter

Lookin to buy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I am looking to buy a .223/5.56 configured AR-15, hopefully for $700 but negotiable. I would prefer one that is either optics ready, or has sights other than the handle sight. As for the brand, not too particular as long as it is quality built. Also, I am willing to travel a couple of hours if needed as well. Thanks.

**I just spent over 2 infuriating hours getting a LA License to resolve any issue disputed throughout this thread**

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am looking to buy a .223/5.56 configured AR-15, hopefully for $700 but negotiable. I would prefer one that is either optics ready, or has sights other than the handle sight. As for the brand, not too particular as long as it is quality built. I still have my CA drivers license, so I am not able to go to a FFL dealer directly, so I hope that is not a problem. Also, I am willing to travel a couple of hours if needed as well. Thanks.

If you are not a LA resident, then it would be illegal for someone to sell it to you. If you are a resident here, then I suggest at least getting a LA ID card.

WCshooter

Lookin to buy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I do live here, moved here a year and a half ago, but have not got a license or ID here because I am not sure how much longer I will be here. With my job, I could move at almost anytime, to anywhere. Is there anything I can used to substitute as my proof of residency? Or do I have to take a day off work to get an ID?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If you are a resident of LA, you need a LA driver's license anyway. Only active duty military and full-time students can maintain an out-of-state driver's license. Unless you are technically maintaining your residence in Cali, if so then no, you can't legally buy a firearm from an individual here.

Last edited:

charlie echo

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    An out of state individual can legally purchase a long gun in Louisiana... I know because I did it with an Arkansas drivers license at the end of last year when i first moved here... Only handguns can't be purchased with an out of state license.

straight from the BATF website it states

"A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides."

so i guess the gun would have to be California "legal"

Last edited:

WCshooter

Lookin to buy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Slidell
    10-4. I am not keeping my residence in CA so it looks like im heading to get a new license later this week... I'm still looking for the AR if anyone has one they want to part with. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    An out of state individual can legally purchase a long gun in Louisiana... I know because I did it with an Arkansas drivers license at the end of last year when i first moved here... Only handguns can't be purchased with an out of state license.

you were allowed to at the FFL only b/c you lived in a bordering state.

WCshooter

Lookin to buy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Slidell

Thats what I thought and had been told before, but here I am hearing different. ????

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge

you were allowed to at the FFL only b/c you lived in a bordering state.

This is not correct. States bordering have not been relevant in quite some time. Long guns may be bought, in person, through an FFL in any state.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    So even with a CA license he can buy an AR from an FFL in LA? What about private party sales?

The license itself is not controlling, but a CA resident can buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, from a FFL holder in LA. This is not true for private party sales, and it is not true for handguns.

A lot of people play fast and lose with these rules, as in "don't ask, don't tell", but I would not risk a 10 year sentence on a jury deciding whether or not I should have known the buyer wasn't a LA resident.

Kind of like how we are responsible for all of our bullets downrange, if a firearm you ever owned is used in a crime, I highly suggest you have a reasonable, and defendable, answer for how it left your possession.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    The Gun Control Act mandated the licensing of individuals and companies engaged in the business of selling firearms. This provision effectively prohibited the direct mail order of firearms (except antique firearms) by consumers and mandated that anyone who wants to buy a gun from a source other than a private individual must do so through a federally licensed firearms dealer. The Act also banned unlicensed individuals from acquiring handguns outside their state of residence. The interstate purchase of long guns (rifles and shotguns) was not impeded by the act so long as the seller is federally licensed and such a sale is allowed by both the state of purchase and the state of residence.

Private sales between residents of two different states are also prohibited without going through a licensed dealer, except for the case of a buyer holding a Curio & Relic license purchasing a firearm that qualifies as a curio or relic.

Private sales between unlicensed individuals who are residents of the same state are allowed under federal law so long as such transfers do not violate the other existing federal and state laws. While current law mandates that a background check be performed if the seller has a federal firearms license, private parties living in the same state are not required to perform such checks under federal law. State laws however can prohibit such sales.

A person who does not have a Federal Firearms License may not be in the business of buying or selling firearms. Individuals buying and selling firearms without a federal license must be doing so from their own personal collection.

The Gun Control Act forbids sales of all firearms by federally licensed dealers to persons under the age of 21, with the exception of rifles and shotguns to persons over the age of 18.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom