Distances to shoot gun by house

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And relating to within Hammond city limits:

Sec. 21-115. - Discharging firearms.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge either in the daytime or the nighttime, any firearm within the corporate limits of this municipality; except law enforcement officers in the discharge of their duties, and except such other persons acting in the necessary defense of life or property.

Whoever discharges a firearm within the corporate limits of this municipality shall be punished as provided in section 1-8 of this Code.

Sec. 1-8. - General penalty.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to violate or fail to comply with any provision of this Code or commit any act declared to be unlawful or a misdemeanor, and where no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of any provision of this Code shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two (2) years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, within the discretion of the court.

The judge retains the discretion to sentence any person who violates any provision of this Code or commit any act declared to be unlawful or a misdemeanor, to any other sentence or other terms and conditions deemed appropriate, regardless of whether a specific penalty has been provided herein.

Each day any violation of any provision of this Code shall continue constitutes a separate offense.

(Ord. No. 983, C.S., § 2, 10-5-82; Ord. No. 2683, § 1, 5-2-00; Ord. No. 15-5426, C.S., § 1, 5-19-15)

source: https://www.municode.com/library/search?stateId=18&clientId=2505&searchText=firearms&contentTypeId=CODES

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    This is the ordnance in St. John Parish.

Sec. 28-24. Discharge of firearms; exemption.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any rifle, pistol, shotgun, which
    discharges pellets larger in size than the commonly referred to as No. 6 Shot, or pellet gun
    within 2,000 feet of any residence within the parish, except in the lawful defense of life or
    property. It shall be unlawful to discharge a shotgun within 300 feet of any residence within
    the parish except in the lawful defense of life or property.
    (b) Local, state and federal peace officers are exempted from the provisions of this section
    while acting in the discharge of their official duties.
    (Code 1988, § 8:50; Ord. of 2-16-1967, § 2; Ord. of 9-10-1981)
    State law reference—Local firearm ordinances, R.S. 14:1796(A

apso1857

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Crowley, LA
    This is the ordinance in Acadia Parish.

Sec. 13-8.1. - Discharge of firearms—Regulations.
    (a)
    Restrictions.
    (1)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, shoot, discharge or cause to be fired, shot or discharged any type of firearm on a parish road or on parish property, unless specifically authorized by the Acadia Parish Police Jury.
    (2)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, shoot, discharge or cause to be fired, shot or discharged any type of firearm, including but not limited to shotguns of any description, gas operated gun or spring gun, or any similar mechanism by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by action of any explosive, for any purpose, within three hundred (300) feet of a recognized subdivision in the parish.
    (b)
    Exceptions.
    (1)
    The provisions as recited above shall not be construed so as to prohibit any person from discharging a firearm in the defense of his person, family or property, or any law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties.
    (2)
    Further, this section shall not apply to the discharge of firearms within the confines of approved and licensed shooting ranges, law enforcement agency ranges, existing private and commercial shooting ranges, gun clubs, and official hunting areas. Further, the discharge of blanks or non-lethal shells or cartridges is not prohibited by this section.
    (c)
    Penalty. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00) or imprisoned for not more than sixty (60) days, or both. Additionally, the court may order the forfeiture of the weapon in accordance with the law.
    (Ord. No. 884, §§ I—III, 1-4-05)

wgb1978

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    Just had the law called on me , i live outside the city limits of Hammond and of course i have a subdivision that joins my property, i have a proper back stop and I'm well over the legal distance from a dwelling and still have the law called on me but when the deputy gets here he or she can't tell me what law im breaking. This is getting old .

wgb1978

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    The LEO was real nice about it, told me he was here for complaints of gun shots.
    Didn't say anything about me breaking any law's once i showed him where we shoot and the proper backstop we use and he asked me to just not shoot anymore this evening which wasn't a big deal since we had been done shooting for an hour. Me and my son only shoot usually one day a weekend for about an hour are so, just annoys me that someone would keep calling the law when im in my Rights shooting safe on my on property and not shooting towards any unsafe direction. I will make some call's and do some research this week and let you know what i find out.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Ive had that happen a few times.I do live in a subdivision.But it is outside city limit.
    When they come out now,I just say,IDK.I think I heard shots on the adjoining property
    that isn't connected to the subdivision.

If no one saw it,it never happened.I use to be nice to leo.But I have found out that
    was only good back in the good ol days.If they are coming to arrest you,please do
    so,if not ,please leave my property.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    This is the ordinance in Acadia Parish.

Sec. 13-8.1. - Discharge of firearms—Regulations.
    (a)
    Restrictions.
    (2)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to fire, shoot, discharge or cause to be fired, shot or discharged any type of firearm, including but not limited to shotguns of any description, gas operated gun or spring gun, or any similar mechanism by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by action of any explosive, for any purpose, within three hundred (300) feet of a recognized subdivision in the parish.
    ... (Ord. No. 884, §§ I—III, 1-4-05)

This section would be difficult to successfully prosecute as the only explosive commonly used in firearms is black powder. Smokeless powder is defined by the ATF and DOT as a flammable solid, and is not an explosive.

Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    Dam, My heart goes out to ya'll that can't shoot in your back yard.. I was born and raised in South Louisiana, from Grand Isle to Cameron, Lake Charles, and Graduated HS from Sam Houston in Moss Bluff. I miss and love being below I-10. But I am grateful to to live on 160 acres of posted, fenced/gated private property in the North Central Louisiana forest. We have a 750 yrd. shooting lane that begins in the corner of by back yard, only 75 ft. from my home, We regularly practice our 2nd amendment Sunday evenings, that is when it's not raining, without as much as a phone call.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom