Distances to shoot gun by house

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Not sure if any parishes have different regs than the state, but I believe you can find that info in DWF's hunting regs booklet.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    in Ascension parish. What is the distance from a neighbor's house you can legally shoot a weapon in Ascension parish?

You know you can't post a question like that without giving the "rest of the story." Unruly neighbors?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NOT sure in YOUR area but St.Martin is 1.5 miles from any church/school, 1 mile from a public road and 1 mile from nearest "residence", granted it VERY seldom happens but last time when I had a cry baby neighbor complaining about my back yard shooting I did a little digging after the SO was unable to give me an answer.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    NOT sure in YOUR area but St.Martin is 1.5 miles from any church/school, 1 mile from a public road and 1 mile from nearest "residence", granted it VERY seldom happens but last time when I had a cry baby neighbor complaining about my back yard shooting I did a little digging after the SO was unable to give me an answer.

:eek3:

I think that would rule out damn near all of Lafayette Parish.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    :eek3:

I think that would rule out damn near all of Lafayette Parish.

I agree, thats why I stopped arguing when I read that, I said maisssssss might as well keep it cool and bring them neighbors some beer and cake, hehe :).

They dont call the cops any more, but I also dont abuse it.

Also keep in mind most places have a "noise" law that usually starts at Dusk.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I was told by a sheriff's officer that 1500 feet from a home is permitted in Lafayette Parish. Now city limits is another story.

Here's the Lafayette ordinance (public domainm, freely reprintable)

8-602 - Unlawful to discharge firearm within the city.

No person may fire or discharge a firearm, as defined by Section 8-601, within the city, nor may a parent, guardian or person having the care, custody or control of a minor permit the minor to fire or discharge a firearm within the city.

(Ord. 439 § 2 (part), 1995: Ord. 433 § 9 (part), 1994: Ord. 23 § 1 (part), 1968)

8-603 - Exceptions to prohibition of Section 8-602.

Section 8-602 does not apply to the use of a firearm by:c

(a)
    A peace officer or person in the military service in the discharge of his duties;

(b)
    A person using a firearm in the defense of their person or the life of another person or in defense of his livestock or domestic animal or his property, to the extent authorized by law.

(Ord. 433 § 9 (part), 1994: Ord. 23 § 1 (part), 1968)

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    in Ascension parish. What is the distance from a neighbor's house you can legally shoot a weapon in Ascension parish?

Several years ago, not long after Ascension Parish adopted Home Rule Charter, a parish ordinance was proposed that would have in effect made it illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the parish. The proposal didn't word it quite like that but the effect of it's passage would have done just that. I spearheaded a grass roots effort to stop this and we made a big showing at the public hearing. It was put on hold and a committee was appointed to soften up the ordinance with some common sense. I served on that committee. The original wording was no discharge within a mile of a "structure" if I can remember correctly. Understand that a bridge or even a hunting camp is a structure. In the committee meetings there was discussion to make that figure 500ft. I argued that the distance from a dwelling had little to do with safety, it was the direction that rendered a shot safe or unsafe. We meet for a number of weeks and I fought hard to get that ordinance defeated. In the long run it was tabled and never re-visited. So unless the council snuck something under the table there is no 500ft parish wide prohibition in Ascension Parish. Since then the population of Ascension has grown at an amazing pace. Don't be surprised if the ordinance is re-introduced for consideration.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I called once to ask during dove season when shot was raining down on me and my kids in our backyard. I was told it was 500 feet in Ascension Parish.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Can they do that after a certain date?

Normally if an Ordinance is tabled it will be on the agenda at the next meeting. You can normally introduce an ordinance before the Council at any time and as often as you like.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Normally if an Ordinance is tabled it will be on the agenda at the next meeting. You can normally introduce an ordinance before the Council at any time and as often as you like.

I guess this won't cover it :confused:

RS 40:1796

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Anyone have a concrete answer to this question yet? Just bought a house with 4 acres in the back of Manchac acres and was wondering the same thing? I hear a bunch of shots every now and then but that doesn't make it legal. :)

swingey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    prairieville,la.
    There is no such ordinance I ascension parish,each parish/city is different.you just have to make sure u r shooting safely,such as having a earthern berm to shoot into,and n
    Making sure the bullets aren't going onto a neighbor's property,etc...each situation is different,shooting in a subdivision/densely populated area can get u arrested..remember,a 22 rimfire bullet can travel over a mile..

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA

One mile from a public road? That would make hunting nearly anywhere impossible.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    FYI. Here is a copy of the ordinance regarding "discharge of firearms" in Tangipahoa Parish.

ARTICLE II. - FIREARMS

Sec. 16-36. - Hunting or discharge of firearms near public highways and residences.
    (a)
    The discharge of any firearm or gun within 250 feet of any inhabited dwelling or any other building or structure, where a person or persons can reasonably be expected to be present, without the express permission of the owner of the said dwelling, building or structure is prohibited.
    (b)
    The discharge of a firearm or gun within 100 feet of any public street, highway, road or thoroughfare is prohibited.
    (c)
    Because of the number of shots fired and the likelihood that a majority of these shots will be fire from rifles and pistols, special provisions are herein provided for firing ranges.
    (1)
    A firing range is hereby defined as an area constructed, designated and utilized as a site for target practice or recreational shooting.
    (2)
    All firing ranges shall be constructed so as to provide a proper barrier to prevent bullets and/or shots from leaving the firing range site. Provisions shall be made as regards side barricades as well as barricades behind and adjacent to the targets.
    (3)
    Any outdoor or open firing range shall be constructed in such a manner and on a tract of property large enough so as to provide the owners of the firing range with a buffer zone, such that the discharge of any firearm or gun at the firing range shall not be within 1,000 feet of the owner's property line or lease property line.
    (4)
    Any completely enclosed firing range shall be exempt from the regulations of subsection (c)(3) above provided that the facility is fully enclosed and constructed in such a manner as to prevent bullets and/or shots from exiting the structure through the side walls and/or the roof and/or rear areas adjacent to the targets.
    (5)
    Any firing range constructed in the parish shall be subject to the applicable building codes of the parish as well as these regulations.
    (d)
    Any person violating the provisions of this section, unless that person is a law enforcement officer or policeman acting within the scope and course of his or her duties and employment, shall be guilty of a violation of the criminal law and shall be subject to punishment, as provided in section 1-13 of this Code.
    (e)
    Furthermore, members of the public damaged by a violation of this section are entitled to bring an action against the violator for any damages that occur as a result of the violation.
    (Ord. No. 14-90, 6-11-90; Ord. No. 47-2003, 12-22-03)

source: https://www.municode.com/library/la/tangipahoa_parish_council/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH16OFMIPR_ARTIIFI_S16-36HUDIFINEPUHIRE

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom