NICS: Average duration of background checks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    I was at Academy not too long ago purchasing a few things from the counter when I overheard a guy contemplating his first gun purchase. The salesman informed the customer that because it was his first time going through the background check it would probably take a few days to clear. The salesman made it quite clear that most of the time there is a delay.

Is there usually that much of a delay? I thought it took less than five minutes for the times I have purchased through an FFL, so I thought that was normal.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I was at Academy not too long ago purchasing a few things from the counter when I overheard a guy contemplating his first gun purchase. The salesman informed the customer that because it was his first time going through the background check it would probably take a few days to clear. The salesman made it quite clear that most of the time there is a delay.

Is there usually that much of a delay? I thought it took less than five minutes for the times I have purchased through an FFL, so I thought that was normal.

My books as of last week show over 1K transfers. I have never had a delay.
    Not for guys buying 5 at a time or brand new gun owners.

Just my experience.

ATSOFLA

Gunsmith for Sheepdogs
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Covington
    The salesman informed the customer that because it was his first time going through the background check it would probably take a few days to clear. The salesman made it quite clear that most of the time there is a delay.

:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

The number of prior gun purchases has nothing to do with the length it takes to conduct a NICS check.

Prior arrestes for charges that may preclude you from purchase resulting in a noll pross or dropped charges may cause a delay if the case disposition has not been entered into NCIC.

There are several other reasons, too. First gun purchase is not one of them.

Last edited:

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Why would the salesperson exaggerate the frequency with which people experience NCIS delays?

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    depends on your name. I never get a delay while my friend, who has absolutely no record, gets a delay.. and subsequent approval everytime

also it is an NCIC check not NCIS :p

Last edited:

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Never heard of a first timer's delay. It does say on the paper that the check will go faster if you list your SSN though, due to common names and such. Each check has averaged about 5-10 minutes for me over the last couple of years. I think it all might depend on the person doing it though, too.

One of the guys I buy from regularly has done it for such a long time, he can spot if something is done wrong on the form, etc right off. Whereas a person that's not as experienced, might take longer on the phone etc.

It shouldn't take longer then 15 minutes though, unless the store has a line of people waiting for checks, etc.

~rc~

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    Was in Wallyworld one time, hanging around Sporting Goods. Guy was fillin' out the 4473, and got to the SSN block. "I don't want to put my number down. Is this really needed?"

Salesman told him that every single form, where the guy did not list his number, they either delayed it or denied it. But the people that put down their number were always accepted.

I'm standin' there thinkin', "What a crock". Don't know why people behind the counter spout that kind of garbage, but quite frequently they do.

Howsomever, I have a friend who has a twin brother. My friend's name is Donald. His brother is Ronald. Same middle name. Parent's apparently thought that was cute. Social Security Number is one digit apart. Ronald has a record. Donnie always gets denied. Even putting his number, down he gets denied. Then he has to appeal. He always ends up winning the appeal, but he still gets denied the next time.

Top Bottom