Recommend First Defensive Pistol Course

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My goal at this point is to take a defensive/tactical handgun course (2-3 days) by the end of the year. I was relatively set on going to Shootrite in the fall in addition to Louis' class next Spring. Since there are a few members here that have taken these kinds of courses (and this will be my first training course of any kind) I'd like to make the first one count as much as I can. So I'm opening the door to suggestions.

My only stipulation is that I'd like to limit the total cost to ~$1200, for travel, lodging, ammo, tuition, etc. Thus, flying will be out and the class will need to be within a day's drive (~500 miles). Thunder Ranch would be out of the question, but I could possibly take one of Clint's courses in TX. If you'd like to make a suggestion, I'd appreciate if you could comment on whether or not you've actually taken the course yourself and what other courses (that you've personally taken) you are comparing it to.

Keep in mind that I'm looking for something that would be most beneficial to a first timer.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am taking my first one through Gretna PD in October.

The class is 2 days. Usually a weekend. We go through about 600 - 800 rounds a shooter. topics covered are shooting on the move engaging numerous targets. Thinking while shooting. Use of cover shooting from and around cover. Slicing the pie. Tactical and speed reloads. We start in the classroom and cover the baisic safety rules and then we go straight to the range. We start off slow on the range just so that we can see what level every one is at. We cover malfunction drills and progress from there. Both instructors bring over forty years of firearms training to the class.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You can probably take Fighting Pistol and Advanced Fighting pistol @ Tactical Response w/in your budget

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom