Todd's adventures

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    03/20/11

Today was my second EAPS match. I have never shot any kind of comp in my life before this. Nothing but cans. Also the first Glock Ive ever shot or owned. A G17
    I'm not a good sight and shoot shooter. I am a very good instinctive shooter though. I need to practice using the sights

02/20/11
    The first match I just didn't want to get DQ'd. I didn't. But I did need to unlearn muzzle up for safety. I got many warnings. I also had quite a few Mikes.
    Score: U Production Minor N N N N 91.0668 15.47%

I friggin loved doing this.

03/20/11

I didn't clean my gun since the last time. I know, I know, I actually forgot.
    Today was Fawsome. My goal was no Mikes and no DQ. I got very few Mikes.
    Score: U Production Minor N N N N 130.7876 24.45%

I spanked the Texas Star, except, I learned that its not enough to hear the bulled hit the steel. You need to make sure it falls before you move on. The last shot on it rang. I was so excited that it didn't eat my lunch that I was thinking about my next movements and didn't "see" that the plate didn't fall. Crap. Its ok though because it wont happen again.

All in all I think I could be very good at this. Like Benji says "Its like golf with guns !" :rofl:

Last edited:

macdaddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Sorrento, La.
    Where do you do this? this is what i want to do. im new to forum want to get into shooting competitions.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    4-17-2011

I put a new red fiber sight on and managed to practice just a little. Dont think Im going to dig the front sight. We'll know this time tomorrow. Im going to get Dave or Benj to take some vids so I can post a couple up. Very insightful to watch them

And I painted some Zombies on my slide to scare the targets

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Meh. Thats how I feel about today. I suck at aiming.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iIZaT1yi0&feature=BFa&list=ULRjdl1cMr-Xc&index=14[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZZDqY_5d0&feature=BFa&list=ULRjdl1cMr-Xc&index=15[/ame]

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Division: Production
    Class: U
    Place Overall: 14
    Stage Performance
    Stage Gun Type Place A B C D M NS PR LS XS XH Raw Pts Total Pts Stage Points Hit Factor Time
    Stage 1 - Bang and Clang Pistol 17 5 1 28 28 8.8594 2.9630 9.45
    Stage 2 - Paper Poppers Pistol 11 7 3 44 44 20.2680 3.0387 14.48
    Stage 3 - Diamond Cutter Pistol 8 4 1 2 1 29 19 14.8959 3.0400 6.25
    Stage 4 - Fluffy's Revenge 2 Pistol 18 5 2 1 31 21 5.3102 1.2987 16.17
    Stage 5 - It's Not Brain Surgery Pistol Tie 3 3 9 0 0.0000 0.0000 6.81
    Stage 6 - Area Five Standards Pistol Tie 2 1 3 4 8 26 0 0.0000 0.0000 26.07

So after reflecting on my sad performance Ive decided I need to spend time on drills and dry fire. Thats my goal for the next month. 30min every day, 6 days a week

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Well, I failed at the above mentioned practice schedule. lol

I skipped July and Aug. just far too hot for me. I did break down and buy a CR Speed belt and mag holders. I bought six on Spankys recommendation. Also on his advice I bought a new holster. I'd wanted one for some time and it was money well spent. I'll try and find the brand later.
    I also joined USPSA so the qualifier that I shot today will count.

So today was my day for malfunction drills. Lots of them. I had a couple hundred mystery reloads that I decided to use. I knew the risks and I paid the price. To be honest, I was kinda hoping I would have some issues so I'd get the practice as the Gator Classic is next weekend and there's going to be lots of pressure.

Im still shooting a bone stock 1st or 2nd gen G17. I have had zero issues with this gun since I got it and have only cleaned it 3 or 4 times in 1500 rounds. Very happy with the weapon.

I was having some issues with my inability to use my sights, I couldnt pick up the red fiber front. I ended up blacking out the stock rear blade and widened the notch a little. Awesome fix for me. Seems to have worked well.
    Scooters advice about practicing is not lost on me either. I just need to do it.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Very cool Todd. At least you keep going back. I sucked and never went back. I did better the one time I went to the outlaw IDPA match in Hammond. I try and practice over at Baker range on the weekends or when I am off.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    the day I miss due to work and he shoots better at the qualifier.. I coulda used the practice myself for gator but I am going..

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    So I have shot 700+ rnds since Friday. It didnt help. :wtc: well, maybe a little.

First day sucked. In the middle of the second round the fiber rod on my front sight flew off AND I had 3 ammo failures.
    GMShooter saved my day and installed a new GREEN sight tube on my gun. This is important. I could now SEE my front sight every time, instead of having too search for it.
    As for the ammo, I'm not sure what happened. Never happened again. hmmm

Second day. Only one mike on the first stage. How stoked am I.
    Remember that sight that I can now see ? Well, it also showed me that I have a nasty habit of turning my gun to the left when I pull the trigger. Makes it very hard to hit the plate racks.

More as I think of it .....................

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I tend to do things my way. Sometimes thats good, sometimes, not so much. When all the fish go left to right, I want to see if I can go right to left.

I don't shoot too fast so these courses make me think about ways to work around that. I had a couple at the Gator that worked real well and one (on #10) that didn't at all.

No matter what Wyatt Earp can do in a movie, I can NOT shoot squatted, off hand, under a no shoot. Even if I have 6 mags. lol

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    So were closing in on 1 year and I suck.
    I've got my gun where I like it, sights I can see without any issue. Ammo I love. I suck.

I shoot low left or left, 6-8" consistently. Its in my grip/trigger pull and I don't know how to correct it. Doesn't do any good to practice dry fires when apparently I'm just re enforcing whatever bad habit I seem to have.
    I do it when shooting from a rest even

Crap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom