65 bucks!! What?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dono

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Walker
    I will start saying I have purchased 7 guns from Hebert's. I would think they would value me as a client? Guess not.

I had an issue with my rear sight on a M&P I have. So I take my slide in today so they could look at it. The guy says that the smith is out, and I would need to leave it. No prob, Im not in a hurry...Then he says we are gonna need $65. dollars to look at it. I was like okay will that go towards the fix? His reply was...If we can fix it yes, If we cant fix it we will return you $30 bucks. I couldnt believe it. He also sd that normal policy for them.

I will never go back in that store again...I am also unhappy at myself for spending any money with them.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I can understand your unhappiness. I'd be really P.O.'d as well.

What is the specific problem? You may get some direction here or the M&P Forum or it may be a S&W issue that can go back to them for a free repair.

Dono

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Walker
    Its an aftermarket sight...I didnt expect them to have the part instock...I just thought I would drop it off and they could fix it, and I would be on my merry way.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Just contact S&W and they will fix it for free,

Screw Hebert,this is the kind of **** that pisses me off. S&W has a lifetime warranty and they know it. They would pocket your money, send it off and have it shipped and repaired for free, if they even had to do that. Something like a rear sight they may just send you a new one on exchange.

Call S &W in the morning, or post a pic on this board and describe the problem, we could probably tell you how to fix it.

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I've shopped some at Hebert's - i've found them friendly and helpful, although at times their pricing was a bit stronger than other shops. I've never used their smith service, so I can't have much of an opinion there.

Dono

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Walker
    +1 what's wrong with it???

Its an aftermarket adjustable from Dawson. The adjustable screw broke. Heberts did not install this sight.

I just purchased a gun from them a few weeks ago and yes it was higher than anyone else. I just bit the bullet cause its a mom and pop store. They treated me fine at time of purchase for all 7 guns I have purchase from them.

I honestly could just order a part from Dawson and fix it myself, but I thought I would just drop it off and pay them to do it.

I dont have a problem paying for something...I however had a huge problem when he said If they couldnt fix it they still charge the $35 fee.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Its an aftermarket adjustable from Dawson. The adjustable screw broke. Heberts did not install this sight.

I just purchased a gun from them a few weeks ago and yes it was higher than anyone else. I just bit the bullet cause its a mom and pop store. They treated me fine at time of purchase for all 7 guns I have purchase from them.

I honestly could just order a part from Dawson and fix it myself, but I thought I would just drop it off and pay them to do it.

I dont have a problem paying for something...I however had a huge problem when he said If they couldnt fix it they still charge the $35 fee.

Hmmm? Conundrum. Remmber the days, and still may exist, where you had to pay a stereo store (for example), an upfront fee to evaluate a problem on your equipment, then would apply it to the cost to fix it if you allowed them to.

Just a guess, but I would bet alot of guys on this site could fix alot of the problems they had in thier everyday lives if they knew what was wrong with something. If you have to go to the car dealer you bought your car or truck from, to get a computer analysis on a dashboard warning, wouldn't you expect to pay for the evaluation? Conversely, if the diagnosis was free, and you found it was just a fuse replacement, and did it yourself. How would that dealership get compensated for their machanincs time, the clerical work, etc?

I am not saying this is as invloved as a computer daig job, but that mom and pop store has to pay that gunsmith to look at it, regrdless of how simplistic the problem may seem. And lest you forget, maybe they didn't recognize you? I have bought several guns from them too, and none of them remember me by name. And I understand that.

This 2 cents is coming from a business owner BTW. It is my choice to decide to comp a customer, no one else in my org. Perhaps, and I am only guessing, the owner didn't know your situation?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have never heard a decent thing about Hebert's

Exactly. The measure of a business is not what they do when things go right but when things go wrong.

Heresay gentlemen! It is said in the restaurant industry that if a person has a great meal at a restaurant he tells 1 person, but if he has a terrible meal he tells 5.

Those that strive for excellence in their business can survive when things go wrong, those that don't usually don't survive.

Perosnally, I have never had a bad experience there.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Hmmm? Conundrum. Remmber the days, and still may exist, where you had to pay a stereo store (for example), an upfront fee to evaluate a problem on your equipment, then would apply it to the cost to fix it if you allowed them to.

Just a guess, but I would bet alot of guys on this site could fix alot of the problems they had in thier everyday lives if they knew what was wrong with something. If you have to go to the car dealer you bought your car or truck from, to get a computer analysis on a dashboard warning, wouldn't you expect to pay for the evaluation? Conversely, if the diagnosis was free, and you found it was just a fuse replacement, and did it yourself. How would that dealership get compensated for their machanincs time, the clerical work, etc?

I am not saying this is as invloved as a computer daig job, but that mom and pop store has to pay that gunsmith to look at it, regrdless of how simplistic the problem may seem. And lest you forget, maybe they didn't recognize you? I have bought several guns from them too, and none of them remember me by name. And I understand that.

This 2 cents is coming from a business owner BTW. It is my choice to decide to comp a customer, no one else in my org. Perhaps, and I am only guessing, the owner didn't know your situation?

I hear what your saying and that does NOT sound like a bad way to run a business. My guess is the op expected his loyalty to be repaid in his time of need. Regardless of how the business performs if they don't meet whatever expectation you may have, you will still be let down. Now that he knows there is no benefit to him paying more for every gun he buys he will simply stop doing so.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Regardless of how the business performs if they don't meet whatever expectation you may have, you will still be let down. Now that he knows there is no benefit to him paying more for every gun he buys he will simply stop doing so.

Happens all the time! Justified or not.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Hebert's pulled the old bait-and-switch on me once last year. I was shopping for a Henry .22 lever and I had called them to see if they had one used. The guy informed me that they did have a used one on the rack and gave me a $200 price. 3 hours later, I'm in the store and the used one had conveniently already been sold, but of course they had a new one on the rack for full price. Well, my wife was with me and we both wanted it, plus we had made the drive out there and wanted to go shooting afterward... so I went ahead and bought it. No problems and a great rifle, but later examination showed a couple of scuff marks where it had been riding the rack for a while. I can't blame them for that, I should have inspected it closer. I can't help but to wonder if I ended up paying full price for that "used" rifle they told me they had in-stock on the phone. I won't set foot in their store again.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hebert's pulled the old bait-and-switch on me once last year. I was shopping for a Henry .22 lever and I had called them to see if they had one used. The guy informed me that they did have a used one on the rack and gave me a $200 price. 3 hours later, I'm in the store and the used one had conveniently already been sold, but of course they had a new one on the rack for full price. Well, my wife was with me and we both wanted it, plus we had made the drive out there and wanted to go shooting afterward... so I went ahead and bought it. No problems and a great rifle, but later examination showed a couple of scuff marks where it had been riding the rack for a while. I can't blame them for that, I should have inspected it closer. I can't help but to wonder if I ended up paying full price for that "used" rifle they told me they had in-stock on the phone. I won't set foot in their store again.

That sucks! You did call Mr. Hebert and discuss your concerns I hope? Maybe an informal e-mail?

Point being, and maybe it's just me, if one of my employees does something stupid and dissappointing to our customers, and it is not of my expressed policy or direction. I want to know! No matter how much it hurts to hear. When you employ you open yourself, your reputation, your business to that many more possiblities of let down at the hands of others. And no mattter how much you train, how much you motivate, and even how much you compensate, those employees may not always hold your business in high ragard as you.

My guys aren't MENSA, so I am constantly wondering?!?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom