Added video! Just in Time For Gustav... My New POF SBR!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well after 14 weeks of filling out forms, faxing documents, and calling the ATF almost daily I can finally show you guys what I've been working on.

2805937501_202c2866fc.jpg

2806786282_ee43e69579.jpg

2806786444_d8d990d6c0.jpg

POF 9.25" Piston Upper
    RRA Lower
    LMT Sopmod Stock
    Magpul MIAD Pistol Grip
    Larry Vickers 2-point Sling
    Troy BUIS
    Safariland RLS Rapid Light System
    Trijicon Reflex ACOG
    AAC Phantom Flash Hider & Quick Attach Suppressor Mount

My goal was to build an ultimate home defense weapon that was compact and light enough to carry all day in the event of a natural disaster, zombie attack, or paper punching. I also wanted it to be partially concealable. I'm not planning to leave the boundaries of my property with it, but I don't need the neighbors seeing me running around my yard with a rifle strapped to me. They already think I'm weird enough.

The 9.25" upper makes this thing about the same size as an MP5 (see picture below). It's extremely easy to move through my house with it and the Vickers sling makes it comfortable to wear while doing everyday tasks. I prefer keeping a 20rd mag in the gun and a 30rd mag on my belt in a Bladetech mag pouch. The 20 rounders make it considerably lighter and less bulky for every day carry and I still have a 30 rounder in easy reach should the SHTF. A light jacket makes the entire rig concealable enough for my purposes. As far as bullet velocities and short barrels go, I really don't think it's going to matter at 10 yards. If I need to hit something much farther away I have another rifle for that.

The Trijicon reflex definitely took some getting used to. I like that it's fast on target, but the tradeoff is more weight and bulk. I may dump it and stick to the irons.

The Sopmod stock is nice but too bulky. Why it costs $300, I'll never know. I also don't like that I'm always adjusting it trying to decide what the best length is. I want to try a standard fixed length entry stock like in the picture below.

The Magpul MIAD grip is great and much better than what came with the lower kit.

I really like the Safariland RLS and have another one I've been using on my Mossberg 500. It's inexpensive, compact, and just plain works.

The only thing I'm still missing is the AAC M4-2000 suppressor which is sitting at Belsco waiting on approval from ATF and is probably at least another 10 weeks out. It will add 4" to the length and we'll just have to wait and see how that effects the compactness. I also still need some rail covers since the exposed rails eat my hands up.

If I did it all over again I'd start with a different lower. The RRA is extremely tight and the mags don't drop free. I'm hoping it'll loosen up after some rounds get through it. I'll probably spend the extra money and just get a POF lower to match next time. I tried a few different forward grips but I didn't like any of them. I've been shooting rifles all my life without a damn VFG so I don't know why I need one now.

I plan to write up a detailed sticky on exactly what I had to do to build and register this thing with both the State of Louisiana and the BATFE. It wasn't hard but there are a few extra things Louisiana requires that other states don't. I don't have any shooting impressions yet since I haven't even fired the damn thing yet.

What do you guys think? What would you change or add?

OSC%20WEAPON,%20MP5,%20Uzi%20156.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAmBSJpVjG4

HD Video: http://www.vimeo.com/1699801

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    *snip*
    My goal was to build an ultimate home defense weapon that was compact and light enough to carry all day in the event of a natural disaster, zombie attack, or paper punching. I also wanted it to be partially concealable. I'm not planning to leave the boundaries of my property with it, but I don't need the neighbors seeing me running around my yard with a rifle strapped to me. They already think I'm weird enough.

Probably the same ones that always say "If something really bad happens, I'm coming to your house!"

When are you going to Precision to make some noise? I'd like to come join in when you head that way.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Very Nice! How much does it weigh?
    How about a Micro instead of the Reflex? Or maybe a Dr Optics?

Maybe a Rem 870 under the barrel?:)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I just weighed it for you guys. In the configuration you see in the photos it weighs exactly 9 pounds, fully loaded. The suppressor will add another 17 ounces. Not sure how that compares to other battle rifles, but it seems manageable.

Hopefully I'll get to take it out tomorrow and give a range report. If we're really lucky I'll remember to bring the video camera so we can see it blow up on the first shot. :D

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your running total on a class 3 weapon like this?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    nice gun, but your pictures always crack me up.

I'd never pay $300 for a sopmod, not when there are some great offerings out there for less such as the CTR.

RRA lowers are made tight, but your mags not dropping free is not normal.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I did some quick testing this morning. With the lower seperated from the upper the mags will mostly drop free. So I think it's catching on the upper somehow. If the problem persists after a few hundred rounds I'll start looking for a solution. Otherwise, I'm not that worried about it.

Conceyted, since I built it all myself the cost wasn't any different than if I chose a 16" barrel. The only extra cost was the $200 tax to the ATF to register it. All I needed to get started on the paperwork was a stripped lower with a serial number. So I bought that first and started submitting the papers to all the required parties. From there I bought things one piece at a time as I found the cash. In total, with the suppressor included and the two $200 payments to the ATF, I have about $4,000 into it. POF piston uppers are about $1300 no matter what length you want.

Well today I'm off to find an engraver. Per ATF regulations, I must engrave my name and city, state into the lower since I'm now the manufacturer of this weapon. If anyone has any suggestions on engraving locally please let me know. I'm planning to just drop in the first trophy shop I can find. I have the lower stripped down except for the internals so it doesn't look that scary.

I'm glad everyone likes it. I can't way to see how it performs in the Tiger class in three weeks!

Top Bottom