Cerakote

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRP Operator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    I am looking for a shop that applies cerakote. I have several 1911's and several AR's that I need coated. Does anyone know of a good place to have that done?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I tried the cerakote and Im not a big fan of it to be honest.

I would use KG gunkote or Duracoat if I was in your shoes.

Daniel with PlateTacular does a superb job with duracoat OR Jace with Precision Coats.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I tried the cerakote and Im not a big fan of it to be honest.

I would use KG gunkote or Duracoat if I was in your shoes.

Daniel with PlateTacular does a superb job with duracoat OR Jace with Precision Coats.

I have all three on stuff and Cerakote is by far the most superior. It is also the hardest to spray. If you have Cerakote with problems, it is all due to the person putting it on.

KG is good stuff too and doesn't require nearly as much to get set up. If you have somewhere to bake it Brownells even sells it in spray bottles.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I have all three on stuff and Cerakote is by far the most superior. It is also the hardest to spray. If you have Cerakote with problems, it is all due to the person putting it on.

I do too. Its all in the prep. for any of them. Cerakoate is also the most expensive.

TRP Operator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks for the information. I talked with a NIT certified cerakote shop in Missouri. He switched from Duracoat to Cerakote because Cerakote is far superior (his words). I don't know enough to comment one way or the other. For every website that touts Cerakote there is a site that touts Duracote. I would imagine that both are very good. I was trying to avoid having to ship my guns out of state but it looks like I may not have any other option regardless of the product I choose. I'll post on how the guns turn out and which product I decided on.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Contact SGT Ross on snipershide.com if you are set on Cerakote. He is in Texas.

I have both Cerakote and KG on my "expensive" guns. The Cera is tougher but the KG is not slouch. I'd take KG over duracoat 10 million times over.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Check with Daniel (DMH on here) owner of PlateTacular. He did a 10/22 receiver and trigger guard for me in matte black cerakote. Came out wonderful and very reasonable. He is located in St. Amant.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The slide is Atranite by Freedom Gunworks. Frame and controls are a custom color Ceracoat that Daniel at Plate-Tacular mixed just for me.
    o53oykx8ekh48c6uyqt.jpg

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I currently use all 3. They each have advantages and disadvantages, again prep work is everything and cure time is essential. No finish is perfect and will look brand new for eternity on a gun that is actually used a lot, but they can each be quite durable. Folks need to understand that up front.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    FWIW, unless its changed in the last 6mths, a "Recommended" applicator is literally, someone who bought their product.

I'd be surprised AND really dissapointed if this turns out to be true.
    We deal in coatings every day at my work and if the applicator sucks then (most likely) so does the end product so it is entrirely detrimental for us to have an applicator that is not highly efficient and dilligent at his job.
    The customer is often at the mercy of whomever is then feeding them information after a bad coating job and the applicator can be blamed as easily as the product.

Cerakote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    White CIty, Oregon
    A "Recommended" applicator is a coating professional that has not been formally trained by NIC, but has the experience and equipment needed to perform the coating application properly. If at any time you hire either a certified or a recommended applicator listed on the NIC applicator locator and the finish is not satisfactory, please contact NIC at (541) 826-1922

gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    I had several guns done with Duracoat great job and excellent finish. It was done by Gary Fowler in Luling 985 210-1978

Top Bottom