1100 or 870?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    What are your thoughts on remmy's pump vs their semi from a tactical ninja standpoint? Seems one significant drawback of the 1100 is that it requires high brass for optimum performance.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I dont know about from a "tactical ninja perspective," but the only time I really care either way, pump v. auto, is when shooting skeet. I much prefer the auto, though I've done it with a pump.

Otherwise there isn't too much of a difference IMO. You still have to do your job and be familiar with the gun and focus on sights/target.

Both guns are great guns in my humble opinion.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I would say save the dough and get an 870. Then use said dough to "ninja" out your 870!

HaHa... yeah, I guess Ninjas need "dough" too. Buy some cool ninja attachments for the 870. I definitely like the plan! (Speaking of which, I need to work on my 870)

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Have both, and would rather the 1100 for HD. Less recoil, less thinking, just squeeze the trigger....

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    Have both, and would rather the 1100 for HD. Less recoil, less thinking, just squeeze the trigger....

That's what I was thinking too. Less recoil and the speed of the semi would aid me dispatching multiple ninja threats. I wonder if I can get it in "chris costa tactical tan"? :)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Semi auto ALL the way, ammo switch over (buckshot to slug) is much faster and much efficient on a semi than on a pump, less complicated steps to follow in the heat of the moment. Not to say it cannot be done on a pump as 90% of people who protect our communities still relly on them and they are indeed work horses but if you have the option of either one I would go semi. Then take a class with it and learn to take the weapon to a higher level.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I would not own an 1100 for HD or for competition: on the other hand, an 870 is ultra reliable. My Benelli M1 Super 90 has proved itself 100 percent reliable for 3-gun use...few 1100s run 100 percent under such heavy use...that's why you almost never see one anymore in the hands of a serious competitive shooter. YMMV.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I've had both and prefer the 870. More reliable, better control, more power, and more accurate (at least in my experience). It's also probably the most versatile shotgun ever made. Works just as well in the duck blind as it does in home defense.

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    I would not own an 1100 for HD or for competition: on the other hand, an 870 is ultra reliable. My Benelli M1 Super 90 has proved itself 100 percent reliable for 3-gun use...few 1100s run 100 percent under such heavy use...that's why you almost never see one anymore in the hands of a serious competitive shooter. YMMV.

I just acquired a beautifully ninja-fied M2 from glimmerman so I guess I answered my own question!

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Semi auto ALL the way, ammo switch over (buckshot to slug) is much faster and much efficient on a semi than on a pump, less complicated steps to follow in the heat of the moment. Not to say it cannot be done on a pump as 90% of people who protect our communities still relly on them and they are indeed work horses but if you have the option of either one I would go semi. Then take a class with it and learn to take the weapon to a higher level.
    What's the difference?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Everyone knows a pump is king. All you have to do is rack the gun and the bad guys will crap their pants and jump out of the windows, regardless of elevation.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Everyone knows a pump is king. All you have to do is rack the gun and the bad guys will crap their pants and jump out of the windows, regardless of elevation.

Damn straight. :cool:

But, of course, it's a lot easier to run an auto one handed. ;)

One for each hand! :cool:

Actually, I'll generally prefer the 870 due to cost and realiability. You do have to train yourselve on them. You can short stroke one easy... you pretty much have to condition yourself to rack the heck out of it after you fire otherwise, you may short stroke it. Lots of power for not too much cash. BTW, I had a totally tacticool 870 for awhile.... I bought it new and tricked it out. I sold it and got a couple of basic pumps. One of which was a $150 Winchester 120 that I cut the barrel down to 18.5 inches. I love that gun. I like shooting it more than I ever did the tacticool 870. It's lighter too, much easier to carry for hogs and whatnot.

I wouldn't use an 1100 for HD. IMO, they aren't as reliable. Now if we talk about a benelli M2/M4 or something similar.... well that's completely different. I'm in for one at this point. they aren't cheap though.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Seems one significant drawback of the 1100 is that it requires high brass for optimum performance.

I also have both, and I was told the same thing when I acquired my 1100. After I gave it a full cleaning and new gas o-ring. I have had zero malfunctions in 10+ years and a steady diet of low brass (anything from AA to cheap Winchester 100rd value pack). Keep the gas system clean and it will run like a champ. I am biased since I tend to prefer semi autos over pumps. As far as HD goes, I can not comment, if I am going into the big safe where the 1100 and 870 are, there are a few other items that will most likely come out before either of those. :D

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Yep. This.

I've short stroked an 870 under the heat of the buzzer (surprise stage in a pistol match). Lost maybe .5 seconds before the problem was corrected.

If you're not interested in spending the big bucks on the Benelli's, I'd go with the 870 or Mossberg 500/590. YMMV of course.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    How to Learn Not to Short Stroke an 870 101: Head to the range with 250 rounds of #7 1/2, set up 6 pepper poppers at 12 yards and see how fast you can clear them. Repeat until you're knee deep in hulls.

Worked for me :thumbsup:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    The 11-87 is my shotgun of choice. I used the 1100 for year with low brass and no problems. The 11-87 is good for 250 -300 rounds of low brass before it needs to be cleaned. High brass always works.

Pump vs semi - I've seen a lot more problems with pumps than semis. They are always user related, ie short strokes etc, but I think in reality, under stress, the semi is more reliable.

My 1100 is on about 500 rounds of cheap bulk pack no cleaning. So far everything is A-OK. I guess now ill see how long I can go before it chokes.

I do really wan't to own an 870 though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SleepingGreyCat
    Top Bottom