WTB 22 pistol...ASAP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swat425

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    lafayette
    Guys if anyone of you has a cheap 22 pistol laying around I am in desperate need of one. Our agency has given us the green light to carry them in our units and boats while this flood event is going on. The snakes are unreal out here and I need one badly! I need it to be as cheap as possible! If any of you have one that you can part with for a reasonable amount please let me know! Thanks!

Swat425

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    lafayette
    I thought so as well but they specifically told us to limit the shotgun use due to all the people that are working in the area...and the noise! Don't quite get the noise thing since most everyone has evacuated! But, who am I to question that?! I hate snakes...not afraid of much but a snake will send me running!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Feel your pain brother as I had to evacuate from The Butte, Im just glad right now I'm back at work offshore instead of a hotel room.

Havent seen any snakes YET, I was out there until Monday evening.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Preciate that brother bear, have asked to other boys that I know are watching the area to do the same, mines the one that has the sign "nothing left worth stealing" LOL.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I feel your pain... but wouldn't your issue shotgun with birdshot be a better choice?

You can buy a case (250 rounds) of "game load" #8s at Academy for $70 or so, or the 100 packs at Wally World for $24.

I've been where you're at; we had the same problem in 1983 in north Louisiana (it was so bad- the flood, not the snakes, although they were pretty ****** bad- that President Reagan came to town)... I thought I was gonna be Dead-Eye Dick with my K-22. I quickly discovered that agitated snakes are rather difficult targets. It wasn't long before the K-22 got tossed into the back seat and I dropped by Sutton's on Breard Street to score a case of birdshot for my 870.

Good luck.

As an old-timer, from before the great 1950's herbicide / pesticide snake depopulation, one who has shot gazillions of snakes; I say "AMEN, Brother !" to the shotguns-for-snakes proponnents.

One of our favorite teenage non-hunting-season Summer diversions was going "snake shooting" in roadside ditches between the many rice-fields in SW LA. Pickups had "fenders" back then. We would get 4 guys or gals/pickup, take boat cushions, an icechest of "drinks", plenty .22LR ammo, and slowly drive along, shooting snakes, mostly moccasins. One shooter on each front fender, sitting on a cushion, one driver, one "spotter" and one unarmed guy in back, passing out ammo and cold ones. Every hundred shots, positions would be rotated. I can recall killing hundreds of mocassins from standing in one spot on the little gravel-road bridges. Dad would buy .22 ammo for us, wholesale, in wooden crates.

Agricultural chemicals suddenly decimated our reptiles and amphibians around 1958.

I recall once, long ago, when I was a pretty fair handgun shot, unloading Dad's 1911 at a great big water mocassin a few feet away, only to have it haul butt outta there, unscathed !

After Audrey, back in 1957 on Pecan Island, we realized that we had to stop shooting snakes because we were blowing the place up. We went to long sticks, trimmed "saplings", which worked out lots better.

Good luck to you and Pablo. Are you St.M. S.O. ?

leVieux
    (In N.O., wishing I were "home" in
    Acadia or on the Teche !)

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Are you looking for a revolver or semi auto? I'm asking because you mentioned it was for snake protection which would mean some type of revolver loaded with snake shot. How about a Heritage single action revolver for around $100?

Last edited:

rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    I am usually not one to speak out on issues like this -- but will put my 2 cents in this time since so many outdoorsmen are so freaked out about snakes. This is basically a learned reaction and can be "unlearned" with a little effort. If one spends much time outdoors, and will be spending much of the rest of one's life outdoors, it seems it would be much easier just to learn to identify the poisonous snakes and avoid those, rather than become spooked with any and every snake. The nonpoisonous snakes are no more of a threat than a lizard, frog, or turtle -- which few folks freak out over. The poisonous snakes in this area (cottonmouth, copperhead, rattlesnake, and coral if you want to throw that one in) are easy to identify once you learn how. I know the snake thing is usually a phobia -- but phobia's can be overcome with education, logic, and effort. Again, just my 2 cents.

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    damn, I sold mine. If I had my P22 you could have borrowed it for has long as you needed it.

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    Cujo,

Might be interested if SWAT isn't; if it is for sale. I posted a few weeks ago for a mosquito and other 22 pistol but got no replies. We can not shoot our sidearm or shotgun at poisonous snakes because they are classified as duty weapons and would fall under a internal investigation if fired in the line of duty. Emergency protocol from way back when locally stipulated 22 pistol with rat shot so thats what we gotta go with....

Is it the 4" or 6" barrel and does it have the mag cylinder as well or only the 22lr. I know I have a few old 357 4" holsters that would work for it but would need to look for something if it were a 6". Just let me know. I am going to check at Academy at lunch, a guy told me they had some Heritages there for about $110.00 trying to move them. Just let me know...

Last edited:

H.Bear

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    I am usually not one to speak out on issues like this -- but will put my 2 cents in this time since so many outdoorsmen are so freaked out about snakes. This is basically a learned reaction and can be "unlearned" with a little effort. If one spends much time outdoors, and will be spending much of the rest of one's life outdoors, it seems it would be much easier just to learn to identify the poisonous snakes and avoid those, rather than become spooked with any and every snake. The nonpoisonous snakes are no more of a threat than a lizard, frog, or turtle -- which few folks freak out over. The poisonous snakes in this area (cottonmouth, copperhead, rattlesnake, and coral if you want to throw that one in) are easy to identify once you learn how. I know the snake thing is usually a phobia -- but phobia's can be overcome with education, logic, and effort. Again, just my 2 cents.

I agree....except when I am in a natural body of water and there is a venomous snake there too. Then I get out....But my wife works with HUGE snakes at the zoo and you'd be surprised at how terrified people are of them even though they see her holding them and know that it's a "calm" snake...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom