Solar Generators...worth the price?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Anyone have any experience with one of these? I like the no fuel needed, but are they reliable and do they generate enough power to justify the price? Thanks.

FYI...you can get his gas generator at the Gozales Outlet for $324 this weekend ($499 on sale for $399 less 75 for spending over $225, and no LA sales tax).

http://www.homelite.com/catalog/generators/HG5000

Last edited:

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    Anyone have any experience with one of these? I like the no fuel needed, but are they reliable and do they generate enough power to justify the price? Thanks.

FYI...you can get his gas generator at the Gozales Outlet for $324 this weekend ($499 on sale for $399 less 75 for spending over $225, and no LA sales tax).

http://www.homelite.com/catalog/generators/HG5000

Pick one

YES, NO, MAYBE

:D

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    There wasn't a link to see what you were looking at. Granted, I am technologically retarded, but is there such a thing as a solar generator? I know of solar panels, but to get an appreciable amount of harvested power requires huge amounts of money, dozens of large panels, and a sizable bank of batteries. For a few hundred bucks all you'll be able to do is charge a cellphone, GPS or maybe a laptop. I'd like to see what you're considering. I may be more out of touch than I thought.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    The solar generator will give very little power for the money it costs when compared to something like the gasoline generator you linked to. I'm no expert, but I've been told that and an OHV engine is desirable because it actually pumps the oil and not just splashes it like a lawnmower engine. This supposedly makes them long-lived and reliable. Other things I've been told to look for were cast iron piston heads or cast iron sleeved and copper windings in the generator coil instead of aluminum. The Homelight looks just like the Briggs and Stratton my brother in law converted to propane. He had a 100 gal propane tank setup just for it and a gas hibachi. He calculated the run time at something like 3-4 weeks continuous on propane. I have a Generac portable converted natural gas - runs great and no gasoline or sunshine necessary.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    El Rubio makes several good points. Just remember when you convert a generator from gas or propane to natural gas you also lose some of your KW/hp. Natural gas does not create as much horsepower in an internal combustion engine. This translates to less KW output from the generator. So if you do this just size the generator accordingly.

Sorry for going off topic. I have nothing offer on the solar request.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    Depending on the quality of the components in this "solar generator" it's either a good deal or a rip off. http://www.mysolarbackup.com $1697.00
    Some specs:
    1800 watt
    90 watt Solar Panel

It looks pretty good and is portable. You could make your own, by with the following.

2 x 45W Solar Panel
    http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html $180 (on sale)
    1500W Inverter
    http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CPI-1575-Power-Inverter/dp/B00126IDDC $93
    2250 W UPS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102113 $619

So you could make a similar system for just over a grand ($180 + $180 + $93 + $619 ), but won't look as pretty as that prepackaged unit.

You could also get those solar panels, a few car batteries, and the inverter. This would probably save you a bit more cash and would allow easy expansion as you could add more 12V batteries as time/space/money allows. Doing this would be more efficient, since you would be converting the power DC-AC-DC-AC, but just DC-AC.

One other thing worth mentioning is that you could install a solar power on your home, which you could get a grant to offset a lot of the cost. You would get a lot more power capacity. The cost would be a lot more, you could then add a bank of batteries for the night.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Solar is not worth the price IMO unless, as mentioned above, you're using it to offset your normal monthly power bill, and even then it's still expensive / large / ugly etc. In theory you could run your whole house on solar, but you'd need quite a lot of panels. In reality it's relatively simple to run your house on a natural gas generator.

As years pass it'll get cheaper and more efficient. . . and maybe more feasible.

I think for now though unless you have a big budget, solar and batteries is only going to allow you to run a handful of household items.

*Edit - my opinion is based on research as of 4-5 years ago. . . FWIW

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    That's an interesting set up , but the output is really too low to be much use for a home environment . MAYBE at a camp out in the boonies with limited electrical requirements . If you parallel a couple more batteries in the ckt and increase your amp/hour rating it would help .

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Forget about adding batteries . I just read the FAQ section and they said it's a sealed unit and you can't add to it . Looking at the specs , it just doesn't have enough amp/hours to be worth it . I'd rather go with a conventional generator .

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    inverter gen

spend your money on a good honda or yamaha inverter gas gen, for about 1000 bucks you can get a 2000 watt inverter gen, they will run all your sinsative equipment, computers etc. I have the yamaha 2000 inverter gen, it runs at half load for 8 hours burns a gallon and a half of gas.. and very quite, at half load the gen. runs at half speed...

Attachments

• splash_ef2000iSe_WJFNYR7.jpg
      splash_ef2000iSe_WJFNYR7.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 112
    Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom