Drowning does not look like drowning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Taken in part from the article:
    – of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening (source: CDC).

According to the article, a child drowning does not shout, or wave their arms, or frantically splash the water. It's not a vision from JAWS, it's "deceptively quiet".

Last edited:

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    Very informative article. I am 58yrs old and didn't know what to look for, even after all these years swimming, fishing on and in the water.

thanks, passed this along to my kids so they can keep my grandkids safe.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I was at the Ft. Hood OC a long time ago, enjoying a root beer on the back patio overlooking the pool, which was full of ankle biters.

I went inside to make a phone call. When I came back, not more than five minutes or so, the pool was empty. A kid had drowned. His parents were sitting on the side of the pool. Apparently, he had been under water for a long time and no one noticed, including the parents.
    :squint:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Ironically, we're actually walking out the door to take our 11 month old to swim lessons....

Prolly one of the most effective ways of keeping your kid out of the pool.

I was torpedoed through the water so much as a baby I think I can legitimately claim that waterboarding isn't all that bad. :D

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Nothing new to me.

I almost drowned 2 feet behind my dad when Iwas little. He was teaching my older sister how to swim.
    Few years later I almost drowned in front of them after stepping over a large hole in a pond. They thought I was playing.

Hmm, maybe they just had it out for me :eek3:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It's summertime people! Drowning doesn't look like drowning

One of his most popular articles, drowning doesn't always look like drowning people. There are too many parents in this world that have watched their children die, and never recognize those signs. This should be mandatory reading for everybody that spends time in water above ankle deep to a flounder.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I can't say enough about Mario Vittone. Water safety is extremely important to us and this guy is one of my "LISTEN UP" favorites.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Sadly, but to actually add to the topic.

Here is what drowning really looks like.

This video was caught by accident on a mobile phone. Two students fall into a river.
    However, the decline and slippery bank makes it impossible to get out on your own.
    Their classmates can't help both of them. They have to decide whom to save.

What a heartbreaking decision for children to have to make.

Make no mistake, this video is real. If you can keep your eye on the one kid left in the water, just as Cat points out, he's not flailing; his hands aren't above his head either. it looks like he's just treading water and then *swoop* gone.

*Viewer Discretion is Advised*

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=44c_1338386029

Top Bottom