Listen Up Fence Sitters and Fraidy Cats!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yesterday was my first competition pistol match in my entire 48 year life. I had a great experience! My only regret is I have waited so long to finally try this.

If you are sitting back and wondering about competition shooting and think you cannot, or it's too hard, or you don't know where to start, or who to talk to to get started. Don't wait any longer. You truly do not know what you are missing.

Do not let your ego or your nerves stop you from enjoying this sport.

I am a good example of a gun lover that has been around firearms their entire life and have limited myself to just the gun sports I was involved in. I have shot all types of air guns, rifles, shotguns, pistols, muzzleloaders, and what not throughout my life whether hunting, plinking, or just throwing lead into inanimate objects.

Though I did not really know where to start until I stumbled on this site, I would have allowed my ego and my "know it all" attitude about guns to stop me from trying this.

I implore any of you that are like I was, that just need the encouragement to take the chance, do not wait any longer.

If you want to know more, but are still afraid to talk openly about it on this forum, PM me. I would be more than happy to tell you what it felt like to stand there at that first stage, worrying you were going to fail miserably, finally shooting it, and then realizing you can do this afterall.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Good for you! For those of you still thinking about it.
    Don't worry about shooting fast, it is more importing to be safe.
    Once you have it down and feel more at ease the speed will come to you.
    You don't need a lot of stuff to get started, shoot the pistol that you have.
    A good holster and some mag pouches, and a good attitude.
    Don't be shy to ask if you are not sure of something, the guys and gals good all glad to help out.
    Try it you'll like it, and it is a good way to use your equipment under some stress to know what works and not.
    Just my 2 cents:wavey:

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Excellent attitude and glad you had a great time! Anybody there with experience will gladly help out in any way they can. It's easy to sit back and talk smack if you've never tried it, but as you see it's addictive. I personally feel that if you OC or CC you need to be a strong shooter and very profecient, and competition shooting will definitely improve that. Brian Enos once talked about an olympic swimmer standing a better chance of not drowning in a boating accident than an occasional beach goer, and it really makes perfect sense. Is IPSC the most tactical, no, but I bet ducking and hiding from gunfire is a pretty normal reaction, look how the seasoned folks move and tell me they won't use cover if things are real. In all honesty strong IPSC shooters will hand just about any body else they're own ass, and you defintely want them on your side if lead starts flying. Maybe that's why the top shooters have trained SWAT, military, and real (not mall) ninja types all over the world for years.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    +1 to this. If you have never participated in a match before I encourage you to show up and play some. It's a great way to get out and meet other shooters, get a little exercise and have some quality trigger time.
    Don't worry about shooting fast, it is more importing to be safe.
    Truth^^^. I just walk through the stages and have fun. I did get DQed at a match last year for breaking the 180 on my very last stage and while getting in position for my very last target. I was 2 shots away from finishing the match and I lost track of my muzzle. The Range Officers are fair and want you to do well but they are there to help keep everyone safe too. Take your time, learn how so play the game and enjoy yourself and you will be fine.

You don't need a lot of stuff to get started, shoot the pistol that you have.
    A good holster and some mag pouches, and a good attitude.
    Truth^^^. I shoot my daily carry gun, my Ruger P89, using my regular carry holster and rig. Nothing fancy. I just have to add a couple extra mag pouches to carry a few more mags than I normally do.
    There are all levels of skill there from amatuers to master level competitors. Everyone is willing to help and give good advice. If you don't know something, ask. I learn something new everytime I go.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Most of what took me forever to get started was I didnt wanna spend a ton of money to try something the 1st time and find out its not for me. To any new guys or gals wanting to get into this sport you DONT need to spend a ton of money on high end gear. I saw every type of holster mag pouch and belts from cheep to very high end and the one thing all the shooters had in common was the fun!!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Yesterday was my first competition pistol match in my entire 48 year life. I had a great experience! My only regret is I have waited so long to finally try this.

If you are sitting back and wondering about competition shooting and think you cannot, or it's too hard, or you don't know where to start, or who to talk to to get started. Don't wait any longer. You truly do not know what you are missing.

Do not let your ego or your nerves stop you from enjoying this sport.

I am a good example of a gun lover that has been around firearms their entire life and have limited myself to just the gun sports I was involved in. I have shot all types of air guns, rifles, shotguns, pistols, muzzleloaders, and what not throughout my life whether hunting, plinking, or just throwing lead into inanimate objects.

Though I did not really know where to start until I stumbled on this site, I would have allowed my ego and my "know it all" attitude about guns to stop me from trying this.

I implore any of you that are like I was, that just need the encouragement to take the chance, do not wait any longer.

If you want to know more, but are still afraid to talk openly about it on this forum, PM me. I would be more than happy to tell you what it felt like to stand there at that first stage, worrying you were going to fail miserably, finally shooting it, and then realizing you can do this afterall.

This is a great post. I would like to add that there are many different shooting disciplines. You can find one that fits nearly any type of shooting that interests you. It will make you a better shooter. It will give your gun ownership more depth. For instance, collecting old military rifles is fun. Being able to take them out and actually hit something with them is an absolute blast. As a handgun hunter, my first foray into competitive shooting was IHMSA. It improved my shooting and gave me great confidence for hunting. You will meet a bunch of great people. Learn a few things. Enjoy a new hobby.

Dan

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I recently enjoyed my first Field Precision Rifle Match @ Palo Alto a few weeks ago and even though I had some issues with my equipment I still had a great time. I learned some things and enjoyed being out with a great bunch of guy's who share my same interest. Nobody gave me a hard time about my equipment and they even offered their's to help me compete. It doesn't get no better than that! I was expecting to get laughed out of the range with my "lowly home built AR", but everyone liked it and offered suggestions of things to do it and upgrade it once I got better. My scores didn't set any records nor attract attention of the shooting world, but were respectable for a 1st timer and I was happy, so I'm hooked. Get off your but, get out there and starting shooting, you won't regret it! :)

Bam Bam

Top Bottom