Bams Bams wacky FPR adventures!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    As most of y'all know I've been dying to get into FPR since I built my AR. I went out to the March match and watched how the match was run, procedures and such. I asked some questions, OK I asked alot of questions, so when I finally did compete I would have a good idea of what I was doing. I meet most of the guy's there and had a great time, most people there could tell I was a newbie so they offered advice or tips on competing which I listened to, especially Lanny, he is a wealth of information. I had alot of fun just watching and going thru the motions. Needless to say i was hooked.

Skip ahead to June's match. I finally was able to make this match at the last minute it seemed. I had been getting things together to shot this match kind of hurriedly so I was a little rushed which I hate, but I was there. I got my gear ready and was sent to the pits first since I was in the 2nd squad. I had my lil shooting buddy along with me this trip, my 12 yr old son who is becoming a pretty good shooter himself. He was a big help to me in the pits, he helped me score and mark the target to. We scored in the pits too this time because of the number of entrants which wasn't hard to do anyway. I scored for the other shooter who I shared the lane with. The wind looked to be playing heck with the guy's which started making me a little nervous since it was only going to get worse I thought.

Once it was my turn to shot I got ready and Chaser had helped me with a dope for my scope since I had never shoot this far before. I shot .223 with 75 grain Hornady Match bullets so we had to guess a little on the elevation. I dialed in 12 1/2 MOA for the first shot, it was a miss, so Chaser told me add 3 more which I did. 2nd shot was almost perfectly level with the X ring but way to the left on the edge of the target. I decided to confirm this shot before making any other adjustment. What I had neglected to say before this was I was having some equipment issues which I had not counted on. My scope had some trash floating around in it which I keep trying to tap back out of the way which apparently got the other guy's attention and they had a good time with it. Something about my user name fitting me well or something, I just ignored them!:D I also had a safety issue with my rifle on the 3rd shot which was going to force me to drop out of the match, that was until Chaser very generously offered the use of his backup AR, I mean he just went to his truck and unloaded it, sighted it in and said "here use mine"! I didn't know what to say, but Thanks and proceeded to start shooting the match.

Now with a new to me rifle and 2 stage trigger which I have never shot with, it took me awhile to get rolling smoothly. I ran out of time and had 1 miss and could not fire my last 4 shots since time ran out, but scored a 130 anyway with 1 X ring! Rd 2 was a little better, now I had an idea of what to do but was still getting use to the 2 stage trigger and getting my breathing timed right. I managed to pull out a 148 with 2 X's. By the time the 3rd rd came up I was finally getting use to the rifle and trigger but the wind was doing it's thing. I did start the first scored shot with an X ring, I just grinned ear to ear.:) I would no sooner than I was dialed right in ready for another X ring when the wind would shift and throw my shot off. Thats Palo Alto for you! You see with my very limited wind experience all I know is to aim dead center and see where the shot lands and add some Kentucky windage to compensate. Every time this happened I had to do this to know where to aim the next time. I did manage a decent 175 with 3 X rings this round for a dismal total of 453 and 6 X rings. I still had alot of fun and wasn't too disappointed in my performance, but I learned something very interesting (besides getting better glass and checking my equipment better), I used Ricks very accurate AR versus my rifle and did decent especially on the 3rd rd, so this leads me to believe that with good equipment I can do pretty well once I get more trigger time. Now I want to see if the AR I built is a really decent shooter at 600 yards like I hope it is.

My overall experience was great even with the issues I had which wasn't really a big deal that day since Rick loaned me his rifle and I was still able to compete. The friendly atmosphere and lots of helpful people make this type of competition (if you really want to call it that) a real enjoyable time even in the heat. My son can't wait till he can compete now he says, we will see if ole Dad can do OK first before I unleash the youngster on the guy's! Come on guy's, get off your butt's and come on out, it's alot of fun and just a plain good time out there! Hope to see y'all in July!

Bam Bam who might be changing his user name due to someone picking on me!;)

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Well round 2 of my experience with shooting FPR was better and less "eventful" then the first, I'm still not where I want to be yet. I have some better glass which worked out pretty good, I would like some more magnification though, but it will have to do for now. I also had to install a mil spec trigger vs a good trigger which I would have thought would have hurt me pretty bad, but during my 3rd string I switched my lower out with Tactical's JP lower with a nice single stage trigger which I loved. I was thinking that this one change would have made a big difference in my scores, but to my surprise it didn't seem to help. I think the wind and heat was affecting me plenty at that point and maybe offset any improvement I may have seen using it. Regardless I want a nice trigger like he has and I know it should help me, but the wind reading course should help me also.

I brought a coworker out with me last weekend and introduced him to FPR and the Fun match, he's hooked! I was glad to see we had a good turnout there and the decent (for July) weather, but the wind was typical Palo Alto, unpredictable as ever which really hurt me, but hey thats half the fun. Can't wait for next month.

Bam Bam

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    How much magnification do you have? I'm thinking about starting to collect some parts and pieces.

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16X42 on my AR now, while adequate, more would be nice. Finer cross hairs and target turrets would be a plus also. You are limited to 25X so 16 isn't that far off and when the mirage gets bad you have to dial back down some anyway. I kept mine @ 16 all day even with the mirage boiling, no problem!

My next rig I build will be a 24 inch heavy fluted barrel with a 25X scope if money becomes available.

You need to come check it out.

Bam Bam

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom