Long Range Handguns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Most of the discussion here involves handguns for close quarter usage, self defense, etc. But some of us use handguns for longer ranges. Some of these guns may seem quite exotic by traditional standards, but are really no more so than a "race gun", just modified in a different direction and for different usage. I've delved into the long range handgun for many years, mostly the Metallic Silhouette game, and have had success with everything from a 6" 357 Mag revolver on up to the more extreme bolt action XP100 Remington. I use these same guns for deer and hog hunting.

Which leads me to the video I've linked to here which shows a kill shot on a Pronghorn Antelope doe at 926 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mcFTVH9-g

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I will say that was a nice shot at a long range...But IMHO that is not a handgun! It's cut down rifle!
    My longest shot to date is a heart shot on a deer at 180 yards with a S&W mod 29 44Magnum 8 3/8" barrel with open iron sights! Hand held, no rest, no prop rod. no shoting sticks. I have hit 4" targets with a 5" semiauto at 130 yards open sights with S&W1006 10mm, if I get the chance I will try for longer shots with this one.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Do you know of any good place to shoot this? I have some TC pistols my grandthaer use to shoot silhouette with and would like to give it a try.

What calibers. There are different levels and require different guns. We shoot straight wall centerfire calibers and 22 LR in Gonzales every month from Jan thru October. In fact we are shooting a match today. The distances are 25 yards to 100 yards.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Wow, you guys are a tough audience.. A shot that far is noteworthy I don't care what kind of firearm is used.

ATF calls it a handgun, it's fired with one hand, sorry, it's a handgun. And anybody who would fire a 44 mag at 926 yards is an idiot. To shoot that far you need the equipment to do the job.....repeatably and humanely.

The_Shadow...........You are obviously an accomplished pistol shot. I would love to see these skills in action. I invite you to bring your 29 or the 10mm to our next Bigbore Silhouette match and I will pay your entry fees and film you in action so others can see as well. Jackson, MS fourth Sunday. Let me know when your gonna make the trip.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I will say that was a nice shot at a long range...But IMHO that is not a handgun! It's cut down rifle!
    My longest shot to date is a heart shot on a deer at 180 yards with a S&W mod 29 44Magnum 8 3/8" barrel with open iron sights! Hand held, no rest, no prop rod. no shoting sticks. I have hit 4" targets with a 5" semiauto at 130 yards open sights with S&W1006 10mm, if I get the chance I will try for longer shots with this one.

Any shot on target at nearly 1,000yd is impressive.

We shot the M1 at 500m in ROTC summer camp, and some of us had difficulty getting the rounds on target.

100m on the kd range seemed to be point blank.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Wow, you guys are a tough audience.. A shot that far is noteworthy I don't care what kind of firearm is used.

ATF calls it a handgun, it's fired with one hand, sorry, it's a handgun. And anybody who would fire a 44 mag at 926 yards is an idiot. To shoot that far you need the equipment to do the job.....repeatably and humanely.

The_Shadow...........You are obviously an accomplished pistol shot. I would love to see these skills in action. I invite you to bring your 29 or the 10mm to our next Bigbore Silhouette match and I will pay your entry fees and film you in action so others can see as well. Jackson, MS fourth Sunday. Let me know when your gonna make the trip.

This.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Highstandard, I'm sorry I missed your post! Thank you for the invite as well. I have been busy cutting grass between the rain sessions over here and some of the recent deluges have me way behind.
    Then trying to keep up with the place I'll be hunting deer has kept me busy also! But having some new young deer is showing good promise!

07210178.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Have killed a few pigs and deer with the model 29-3 at 100+ yards but everybody says I’m cheating because I use an optic. Have killed water filled milk jugs at 200 just for fun. I like the Remington UMC 180gr soft tips for hunting in both the smith and my carbines but have been loading Hornady’s Lever Evolution (225gr FTX) for a while now and they are real sweet with max loads. Just a little hairy in that wheel gun so I loaded a toned down version just for it.

351aa78b8895edfe18cf9daaf46be9b6.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom