Ballistol, this stuff is legit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cguedr

Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    At the local gun show in Kenner this weekend, and there was a guy there who I believe recently became a distributor of Ballistol. Lucky for me, because as someone who keeps up with Hickok's channel, as well as The Armory Channel on YouTube, I've been meaning to try it out.

I had 2 pistols and a rifle that needed some TLC so I gave it a shot today. I wish I had gotten this stuff sooner. Up until now, I've been using CLP, which is pretty good, though has a tendency to be pretty messy. First off, Ballistol is anything but messy. It isn't a thick liquid like CLP is, and was actually pretty easy on my hands. Secondly, I thought it flat out cleaned the guns better. Carbon deposits and all came off much easier with this stuff. Another thing that I like about it, is that, unlike CLP which leaves thick, oily residue that gets wiped off of metal pretty easily, Ballistol leaves a really persistent thin, slippery film. I usually put gun grease on the rails to aid in lubricity, but felt this stuff was much better for that purpose. Sure enough, racking the slide was like butter.

If you don't have any of this stuff, I'd strongly suggest you try it out. Not only is it a better cleaner, but I felt that cleaning was easier and less messy with it; plus it's supposed to have a bunch of other uses besides gun cleaning. You can order it online, however, if you wanted to keep it local, I did get the guy's card, and he's located in Baton Rouge. Either way, give this stuff a shot, I think you'd really be impressed.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I use Weapon Shield CLP for cleaning and Mobil 1 20W50 for lubricating.

jdphotoguy

Oct 10, 2011
    Jackson, MS
    I've been using Ballistol Lube for sometime and I like you think it does a great job. Generally I spray down the slide and barrel, let is sit for a few minutes and then wipe it down. Also can't beat the fact that the stuff is biodegradable.

rabiddawg

Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I have used Ballistol on everything from the farm to guns for years. I haven't looked at the label but it use to list a ton of uses for this stuff. An old friend was selling it he said it was developed by the Germans in WWI to be a multipurpose lubricant, leather conditioner, cleaner etc. I'd say they did a pretty good job but cold have worked on reducing the smell. My wife forbids me to spray it in the house.

LaBelle

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I too, have used it for years, with both my smokeless and black powder stuff, and I shoot a bunch of BP in Cowboy Action Shooting!

I cut the liquid version 10:1 with water for cleaning (goes a lot further that way too) and follow up with the aerosol for final lube/storage.

I know what you are thinking...WATER??? But think about it, for BP, what has been used since the beginning? Hot and/or soapy WATER! This way, the water softens and carries off the fouling and encrustations, then evaporates, leaving a thin film of Ballistol behind.

Works well on the rest of my toys too! Hubby hates the smell but steals my supply for his tools!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just bought two cans from my leather supplier, I'll try it out. If I like it I could sell it for Midways price of $7.99 a can.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    we use it and sell it at barneys. its most definitely works. it smells horrible though IMO.

My house smells like a combination of Leather, Neatsfoot oil, contact cement, Renaissance wax and denatured alcohol, I am sure adding some Ballistol to the mix won't make a difference. Oh, and it smells like the oil plug ins my wife has added to every room in the house since I started working with leather.

ramsey6199

Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Great stuff we use it for marine use for lubrication purposes as well as loosening up old bolts. Works great for firearms as well. In fact we use and sell it so much that we became an authorized distributer for them.

simplepeddler

Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Bought a can from Lafayette shooters almost 15 years ago and have been hooked on it ever sense.
    It works great on leather as well.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I got some from my wholesaler, makes my pistols smooth as butter. This stuff is amazing. I hit every part that moves on my sewing machine also.

tupperware9mm

Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I am in the ballistol camp. I used to e-mail back and forth with Hickok 45 before he was a rock star I saw it in one of his video's. About the time I saw him do a video with it I stumbled on to a Ballistol infomercial with Joyce De Witt from three's Company. They were showing how you could use it all over the house and was so safe you could almost drink it. I Sent it to Hickok because it affirmed the way he was pronouncing it. I just went back to my you tube sent file for the link but the owner of the video removed it. It was a hoot though 30 minutes of Joyce dewitt polishing just about everything with the stuff..

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Does Dave's in Lafayette have it?

yes we do. if you let it sit it then congeals. reminds me of pork fat in a tupperwear after a day in the fridge. if it congeals wouldnt it then collect grime and powder residue after it cools? after i clean weapons with it i wipe it all down and give it oil.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom