New LA voter - Explain the primary process to me please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Can someone please explain the POTUS primary process here in Lousisiana?

I found this online but it's still not clear to me how my vote can help elect the Republican nominee for POTUS.

A 12 March 2011 article in the The Times-Picayune says that the Republican State Central Committee unanimously approved a resolution asking the Legislature to move the Presidential Primary from February (see note on RS 18:1280.21 A above) to the 1st Saturday after the 1st Tuesday in March-- 10 March 2012.

The Times-Picayune 21 May 2011: Louisiana GOP crafts delegate plans for 2012 presidential convention .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Governor Piyush "Bobby" Jindal (Republican) signed HB 509 on 28 June 2011. The law moves the presidential primary from the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in February to the 3rd Saturday following the 1st Tuesday in March.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of 31 October 2011, the date for the district caucuses has not been set.

Tuesday 24 January 2012 (tentative date): District Caucuses convene to choose delegates to the State Convention. The participants will alone determine if presidential preference is to be a factor in such choice and, if so, how it is to be applied.

Saturday 24 March 2012: 20 of Louisiana's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders in today's Louisiana Presidential Primary. [Caucus and Convention Rules, Adopted May 21, 2011, Rule No. 19. (d) and 20. (b)]

20 National Convention Delegates are allocated proportionally to those Presidential candidates receiving 25% or more of the statewide primary vote. Fractional delegates are rounded to the nearest whole number (rounding rules for too many or too few unknown).
    Otherwise, the 20 delegates will attend the Republican National Convention officially unpledged to any candidate. These delegates will be elected at the State Convention where the participants at the State Convention will alone determine if presidential preference is to be a factor in such choice and, if so, how it is to be applied.

Saturday 2 June 2012: The State Convention convenes at 10 am in Shreveport to elect delegates to the Republican National Convention.

18 National Convention district delegates-- 3 from each of the state's 6 Congressional Districts are elected in the Congressional District meetings. The participants at the State Convention alone determine if presidential preference is to be a factor in such choice and, if so, how it is to be applied. These delegates are official designated as uncommitted. [Rule No. 19. (c) and 20. (a)]
    20 National Convention At-Large delegates are elected according to the results of the primary. [Rule No. 19. (d) and 20. (b)]
    5 National Convention delegates are nominated by the Executive Committee. These delegates are official designated as uncommitted. [Rule No. 19. (e) and 20. (b)]
    The 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Louisiana's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    How do you find out how you're registered? I sent in a letter to change mine to R when I realized I had no party listed and couldn't vote in the Primaries but never received an acknowledgement.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    How do you find out how you're registered? I sent in a letter to change mine to R when I realized I had no party listed and couldn't vote in the Primaries but never received an acknowledgement.

Go in person to the Registrar of Voters office, in the Court House on Irma Blvd, and change it. Only takes a few minutes.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA

I believe that would warrant a call to the Secretary of State office. I don't know how willing they are going to be in giving up that info over the phone. You may have to show up and present I.D. To find out. I would check soon before changes are locked out. Don't personally know of any other way.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is 2011, you can do all that online.
    https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/registration/default.aspx

You can check your current registration. I thought you could change it online, but something's going goofy and it's telling me "URL Doesn't Exist" when I try to get to the page.

Last edited:

harleydave2

Master of nothing....
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    livingston, LA
    info!

What are the recognized political parties in the State of Louisiana?

Louisiana has five (5) recognized political parties: Democratic, Green, Libertarian, Reform, and Republican. The Green, Libertarian, and Reform parties have fulfilled all the requirements in R.S. 18:441 and are now recognized political parties.

Your party affiliation can be changed by simply sending your Registrar of Voters a written note requesting your party change (including signature), or by completing another voter registration application. You may make changes on line. All changes made 30 days prior to an election are effective for that election, otherwise the change cannot become effective until the next election.

Top Bottom