An old myth or legend of the NOPD.......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Masonmedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I was wondering how long this would take.......the Gooses and the Sons of Silence ran Louisiana back then.THEY kept the Angels out of Louisana.Banditos were few and very far between.The Gooses were very strong at one time but kinda withered away as the others kept growing.I remember them and the Sons very well up until early 80's.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Back in the 80's myself and family and some co-workers and family's were on a bike trip to Fort Walton ,FL. We had rented rooms at a small beach front motel. We were out in the parking lot when a group of Banditos rode by. We found out a Bandito's club house was just down the block. We weren't sure if we would still have bikes the next morning.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The Hells Angels DID NOT EXISTS IN 1963. Its that simple. It is unlikely what your describing happened seeing as a principal player in the event had not come into being yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hells_Angels

Apparently, the history depicted here was corroborated by the original members and jives with their own website history.

That said, what's outrageous and criminal behavior to the rest of the world is "normal" during Mardi-Gras, so maybe they did just come, have a good time, and left.

Last edited:

NOPD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Louisiana
    I was with the New Orleans Police Department at the time. Clarence Giarusso was not chief but his brother was (Joe). It was in the late sixties (1969) and the angels stated that they were coming to new Orleans for the Mardi Gras. Law enforcement agencies kept track (also reported in some of the media) of them and reported to Assistant Chief Clarence Giarrusso hourly. The angels were coming from California and headed to New Orleans on the causeway that crosses Lake Pontchartrain. Before they even began their trip they were notified that there was no way that they would be allowed to enter N.O. It was easy to enforce this restriction because there are only four ways to get into the city. While they were on the causeway past all turnarounds with no place to go they were surrounded by bridge police and Giarusso with many NOPD Officers (no rookies). They were again told that under no circumstance would they be allowed in New Orleans. There were a few scuffles and when a couple of bike just happened to end up in the lake they got the message. I don't know about any bloody trucks, I would think they would have been cleaned if there were any blood in them, Possible they were stains. There were no arrests were made. It was determined to handle it on the causeway because there were very few witnesses. (note: I was not there) Any officers involved have long since retired.

I know there will be doubting Thomases' but this is an accurate portrayal of what happened. One writer was correct that there wasn't an angels club in New Orleans. The only m/c club in N.O was the galloping gooses who were kept well in line.

Last edited:

NOPD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Louisiana
    Hey f350, sounds like your dad was on the force the same time as me. I was also in the Howard Johnson's. For those of you who don't remember ore too young to remember, There were 7 New Orleans Police officers killed within a week by the same person. It happened in the early '70's (72?). One member of the black panther, symbionese liberation army and sclc started sniping at police officers a few days before Christmas. The first to be killed was a white grocery store owner who stepped out for fresh air (no witness). The first p.o. to be killed was a trainee working at the house of detention (shot in the back). He was killed walking just outside of the building. Several minutes later a k-9 officer responded to an alarm at a warehouse across the expressway from the H of D. After arriving on the scene, the officer got out of his vehicle and was shot in the stomach from a location in the building. This was New Years or Christmas Eve (old age). The shooter then went to the Howard Johnson's (not sure what day) with a rifle and shot the manger in the parking lot. He then started several fires in the building. As the firemen responded one was shot on a ladder attempting a rescue. The bullet devastated his left arm. As police arrived at the scene 4 were killed almost immediately. Another officer shot in the face and one shot in the stomach survived. The shooter was finally killed on the roof of the H.J. I was assigned to clear all the hotel rooms and as I reached the 18th floor I found a couple lying in the hallway, the female face up and the male face down but laying on top the female both were shot dead. I also noticed a black, green and red flag draped over the bodies. I knew it to be a black liberation army flag. When was a Nation Guard Major heard what was happening, he took an unarmed chopper from an air naval base w/o authorization. He flew it to the scene where he he picked up several officers. The pilot made several passes but the shooter would hide in an alcove. Getting nowhere with this maneuver the pilot actually put the nose as close as he could to the opening and gave the shooter a couple of shots at him. He them turned the helicopter and the police were able to kill him. Last I heard the pilot was in deep trouble because of violating posse comitatus (look it up) provision of the U.S. Constitution. I don't know what happened to him but he was definitely the hero of the day. God bless him.

Ask your father if he knows Malcolm C. from Homicide and tell him hello.

Blue295

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Lots of young Galloping Gooses starting to be seen on the Northshore, in the last few years. They are trying to make a come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom