What's your opinion of Bikers splitting traffic?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you think about Bikers who do this?

• Complete *******!

Votes: 35 32.7%
    • Whatever, indifferent…

Votes: 38 35.5%
    • Should be legally allowed to open car door and take them OUT!

Votes: 34 31.8%

• Total voters

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What's your opinion of LOUISIANA Bikers splitting traffic?

Being that it is unlawful(In Louisiana) to do as well.

RS 32:191.1
    §191.1. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic
    B. The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
    C. No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Last edited:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    it's unlawful and if he gets in a wreck it will be his fault.. that being said, he should have passed on the shoulder if he wanted to be an ass

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    It would be really cool if he hit a little 5 year old girl, exiting one of those vehicles, causing her to slam her head down on the road, splitting it wide open, killing her instantly.

Or you know what, maybe the little girl isn't killed, maybe she's just vegetablized and the monotony of the rest of her life is only broken up by feeding and drooling sessions.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Legal added;

RS 32:191.1
    §191.1. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic
    B. The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
    C. No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    98% of the time I see a motorcyclist, they are always driving faster than everyone, cutting through traffic, driving like an *******, because they can.

I think of all the "save the motorcyclist" bumper stickers and laugh.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I think of all the "save the motorcyclist" bumper stickers and laugh.

and the yellow "Watch for Motorcycles" signs too.

This happens all the time. I go to get on Hwy 171 and look left, nothing, look right nothing, look left again and I see a headlight, oh it's a motorcycle but he's way far off(800m). Pull out and when I get around 45 mph *ZOOM!!!* rips my rearview mirror off.

I rode a bike for a good while, don't have one now as my priorities and responsibilities have changed but I NEVER split traffic and only opened the throttle on back roads and the interstate.(Not always though)

Besides that I drove the speed limit everywhere else.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    It is legal in California and drivers and motorcyclist know to expect it. I HATE being in a group of traffic on a bike, because at any given moment soccer mom on her cell phone will switch lanes without looking and kill me. I'll get to the front and then cruise.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    It's ilegal to lane split here in Louisiana, although LEGAL in other states and countries but there are guidelines. I don't see how motorcycle riders (ok, bikers, if you must) breaking traffic laws are any worse than people in cars (cagers) doing the same. What is totally effed up and inhuman and heinous is to intentionally attempt to make a rider crash. Too many people nowdays do not see a person on a motorcycle as a human, but as some inanimate object and don't seem to care if they force one to crash or kill one. Anyone who consciously makes the decision to do so is playing judge and jury, and implementing the death penalty for a traffic crime. Oh, and is also a murderer.
    I've been riding street bikes for over 30 years. I obey the law and drive more cautiously when on the bike than when in the cage. And if anyone intentionally makes an attempt on my life, I will shoot them in the face. Whether or not I'm riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It's not illegal in California.

It is legal in California.

My question is aimed towards the state we live in.
    bk.gif

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    It is legal in California and drivers and motorcyclist know to expect it. I HATE being in a group of traffic on a bike, because at any given moment soccer mom on her cell phone will switch lanes without looking and kill me. I'll get to the front and then cruise.

This. Most places where this is done it needs to be done. Motorcycles should always be moving slightly faster than traffic, this enables more attention to be spent on the cars ahead rather than the cars coming up from behind. Don't forget these guys aren't in steel cages. The guy in the video was doing it right. Slowly and carefully. Not saying there aren't idiots out that that make all bikers looks like complete dbags, but motorcyclists are afforded special considerations because driving one is inherently more dangerous.

And California traffic is like nothing you guys have around here. Even on the worst days here, it doesn't take me over an hour to go half a mile.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    That isn't "California traffic." They are at a DEAD stop. People (cagers :rolleyes:) have been and will always start to get out of their vehicles after some critical amount of time in situations like that. Splitting in moving traffic is different topic.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    And if anyone intentionally makes an attempt on my life, I will shoot them in the face.

Just had this argument in the office lol

Guy witnessed another guy opening a door to stop a lane splitter at Voodoo fest. And was pissed that the guy did it at a red light. He said the Biker had all rights to whip the other guys ass.(of course he's a biker himself) My thought is that they were both being assholes, just one being MORE of an ******* than the other. Turns out dude who opened the car door had a bit more Road Rage going than the Biker and not only put a beaten on the guy but also walked his bike to the side of the road and rolled it down the ditch. I think he was fed up with the unlawful actions of the biker. Slightly.... :doh:

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Driving around bikers makes me very nervous. Not in the "oh no I wonder if he is going to bust my window with his chain" kind, but the worried about hitting them kind. On a road with 2 lanes going the same way it is worse, I go ahead or drop behind a safe distance.

So obviously I think they should not be splitting traffic. If I was ever on a bike (no way) I would skip line at red lights though.
    But as a car driver I'd look at the guy the same as if he was approaching my car on foot at a redlight, that is a no no.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    My question is aimed towards the state we live in.
    bk.gif

The video claims to be SoCal, and IMO shows the wonderful benefit of lane splitting :)

FWIW I do not lane split, mostly because I do not want to die.

The "Watch for Motorcycles" signs are legit - there countless instances where someone pulling out, turning, etc without looking or simply failing to see a motorcycle kills or maims the responsible law-abiding motorcyclist, whose only failure was not being surrounded by a large steel vehicle.

There are always bad eggs that push the limit in every type of vehicle. I even see priuses driving recklessly, 90+ MPH, etc.

Also some folks tend to get their egos somehow bruised when a motorcyclist passes etc, safely but faster than they are traveling. Sort of the "everyone that is slower than me is an idiot, everyone that is faster than me is a lunatic" type of mentality. These folks need to just deal with.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    That isn't "California traffic." They are at a DEAD stop. People (cagers :rolleyes:) have been and will always start to get out of their vehicles after some critical amount of time in situations like that. Splitting in moving traffic is different topic.

A dead stop is California traffic. Very often during rush hour.

Top Bottom