SIX BOYS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This is a story of a teacher from Wisconsin and his students visit to the Iwo
    Jima Memorial.

SIX BOYS

Each year I am hired to go to Washington , DC , with the eighth grade class from
    Clinton, WI. where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting
    our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me.
    This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This
    memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most
    famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers raising the
    American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima , Japan ,
    during WW II.
    Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards
    the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I
    got closer he asked, 'Where are you guys from?'

I told him that we were from Wisconsin . 'Hey, I'm a cheese head, too! Come
    gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story.'

It was James Bradley who just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the
    memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his
    dad, who had passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull
    up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share
    what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments
    filled with history in Washington , DC , but it is quite another to get the kind
    of insight we received that night.

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak. (Here are his words
    that night.)

'My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin . My dad is on that
    statue, and I just wrote a book called 'Flags of Our Fathers' which is #5 on the
    New York Times Best Seller list right now. It is the story of the six boys you
    see behind me.

'Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is
    Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine
    Corps with all the senior members of his football team.. They were off to play
    another type of game. A game called 'War.' But it didn't turn out to be a game.
    Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say
    that to gross you out, I say that because there are people who stand in front of
    this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of
    the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old - and it was so hard that the
    ones who did make it home never even would talk to their families about it..

(He pointed to the statue) 'You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New
    Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and
    looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph...a photograph
    of his girlfriend Rene put that in there for protection because he was scared.
    He was 18 years old. It was just boys who won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys. Not
    old men.

'The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank..
    Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the 'old
    man' because he was so old. He was already 24. When Mike would motivate his boys
    in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for
    our country' He knew he was talking to little boys.. Instead he would say, 'You
    do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

'The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from
    Arizona . Ira Hayes was one of them who lived to walk off Iwo Jima . He went
    into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero' He
    told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the
    island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?'

So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having
    fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27
    of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror
    in his mind. Ira Hayes carried the pain home with him and eventually died dead
    drunk, face down, drowned in a very shallow puddle, at the age of 32 (ten years
    after this picture was taken).

'The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop,
    Kentucky . A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me,
    'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store.
    Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed
    them Epsom salts. Those cows crapped all night.' Yes, he was a fun-lovin'
    hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram
    came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store.
    A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could
    hear her scream all night and into the morning. Those neighbors lived a quarter
    of a mile away.

'The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley,
    from Antigo, Wisconsin , where I was raised. My dad lived until 1994, but he
    would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers or the New York
    Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my
    dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No,
    we don't know when he is coming back..' My dad never fished or even went to
    Canada .. Usually, he was sitting there right at the table eating his Campbell
    's soup. But we had to tell the press that he was out fishing. He didn't want to
    talk to the press..

'You see, like Ira Hayes, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks
    these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and on a monument. My dad knew
    better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a combat caregiver. On
    Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died on Iwo
    Jima , they writhed and screamed, without any medication or help with the pain.

'When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero.
    When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you
    always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come
    back. Did NOT come back.'
    'So that's the story about six nice young boys.. Three died on Iwo Jima , and
    three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the
    worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I
    will end here. Thank you for your time..'

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking
    out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a
    son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not a hero for the
    reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

We need to remember that God created this vast and glorious world for us to live
    in, freely, but also at great sacrifice

Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism
    and all the wars in-between that sacrifice was made for our freedom...please
    pray for our troops.

Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also ......please
    pray for our troops still in murderous places around the world.

STOP and thank God for being alive and being free due to someone else's
    sacrifice.

God Bless You and God Bless America ...

REMINDER: Everyday that you can wake up free, it's going to be a great day.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've never seen the one in D.C., but the one at Parris Island on the Parade Deck is big as well.

Pretty sure all boots go there and get the 'Story' told to them by their Senior DI. I know I remember it like it was yesterday.

I knew their history, but never heard it from this guys perspective.

Awesome!

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    This story pops up from time to time and I always like to read it.

The Corps Monument is right next to Arlington Cemetery, a little to the north. The view across the river of DC is one of the better views you will get.

Several years ago I visited when my son was assigned to the Pentagon. We rode the Metro in, took in the WW2 Memorial, walked down to the Korean War Memorial, and then over to the Vietnam one. It was neat as there were a bunch of vets at the WW2 one and I shook as many hands as I could and expressed my thanks for their service. I got a lot of great responses. They all looked me in the eye when we shook hands.

That said, the KW Memorial is the one that moved me the most. I knew and know a lot of men that served in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom