Asbestos Insurance HELP!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    My wife and I are trying to buy our first house and after a long and exhausting search we found one in our price range. We sign the purchase agreement and started to look for insurance and we had no idea how much it would be for a house with asbestos siding!! It was ridiculous. The only place we can get a quote was Louisiana citizens and only a few companies will write a policy with them We want this house but cant afford the $4950 a year. Has anyone heard of a different company that will write one cheaper or am I screwed. Thanks

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    member LaCamper is in the insurance business, iirc
    or
    Equity Partners Insurance @ 985.727.4188. Tell them Barret sent you. If the value is over 300k, then they can quote it for you.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    My wife and I are trying to buy our first house and after a long and exhausting search we found one in our price range. We sign the purchase agreement and started to look for insurance and we had no idea how much it would be for a house with asbestos siding!! It was ridiculous. The only place we can get a quote was Louisiana citizens and only a few companies will write a policy with them We want this house but cant afford the $4950 a year. Has anyone heard of a different company that will write one cheaper or am I screwed. Thanks
    I was in the same boat as you, when I bought my house in Gonzales.
    Too few would touch it, due to it's small size, being pier and beam, then asbestos on top of that, then when you found one, the quote was through the roof, like yours.
    i had Geico for many years, previously, but found a good deal on State Farm for a short stint, while I was in BR.
    I thought I'd check back with them and see if I could get a good deal again with them, so I got a quote, and found one carrirer through them, that wound up being the cheapest anywhere.
    It was underwritten through Homesite Insurance.
    They (Geico) also have my cars' and bikes' policies, so that added in a bit of a discount, as well.

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Legally? A LOT!
    Not so legally...
    Well, you know....

I'll eventually cross that bridge one day, when I decide what I'm going to do with the place, long term.

Last edited:

marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    Dawg23,

The crappy thing is that all the companies I checked with said that all you have to do is cover it with vinyl siding and come back and they will rewrite the policy to so that it is vinyl. It sounds like a bunch of BS to me. BTW I called one of the few that would quote me to see what the difference is between the two about $2100!!!! :doh:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Legally? A LOT!
    Not so legally...
    Well, you know....

I'll eventually cross that bridge one day, when I decide what I'm going to do with the place, long term.

We did it years ago, when all the asbestos scare started, we busted it off and piled it up in back then dumped some out with the trash every week.

Now the bad part...my Dad died of bladder cancer 15 years later and 5 years ago my mom died of emphysema and my brother 2 years ago of liver cancer. We all lived it that house for years.

Is all that asbestos related IDK.

It's just info.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Look for another house. Was the asbestos siding disclosed before you signed the buy/sell agreement? I'd avoid this like the plague..............nothing but trouble and money here. :eek4:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks Bearco for mentioning me! Unfortunately I'm not much help on this one. I can write Citizens but S.F. won't let me write HO for new customers these days.
    If you have questions about anything please feel free to PM me...
    Be careful getting rid of the asbestos! Its not worth getting lung cancer, or risking a major fine if you're caught dumping it, to save a few grand. Personally I'd skip this house, its a buyers market right now. There are plenty of other homes available.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    People assume that any contact with asbestos is going to kill them and it is a fortune to remove. I just replaced the asbestos roof on my house and thought the same way until i did some research. Asbestos siding and shingles are non-friable, and the only special care you have to take when disposing of them is to pay an additional fee per cubic yard when you dump them at approved landfills. Try to remove the pieces whole, and without breaking them too much. For the most part, you do not need a special license or a hazmat suit for non-friable construction materials. If you get can get a good price on the house, and use replacing the siding as a negotiation tool you can probably get the sellers to pay for the whole deal.

Read through the information on this link before you make your decision.

http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/tabid/2883/Default.aspx

Top Bottom