Re-incarnation??? Chesty meet Chesty Puller

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Being a Marine, I wanted to name my dog after one of the most famous Marines in Marine Corps History.

Well turns out…...there's resemblance..... I’ll make sure my dog understands that as a compliment! :p

I actually got the idea to make the image after my sister-in-law made this comment;
    "He has the same mouth as his honorable namesake! "

Click these links for Chesty Puller info;
    - Badass of the week Article *WARNING* Humorous but Strong language used.
    - Wiki Page

and now for the GRIN.....

chestyb.jpg

:mamoru:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    WOW. He's growing FAST. :eek4:

And yes- his mug does bear a resemblance to The Man Himself....:cool:

He's got the look of a hunter.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    They grow so fast *sniff*

How's his training coming along? Will he be competing?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    They grow so fast *sniff*

How's his training coming along? Will he be competing?

His training is REALLY coming along. At 4 months he is very steady and understands 'Sit' means 'Sit' forever... or until told to move. I mean he obviously hasn't been tested to the max, he's a puppy but for a puppy he's a Rock Steady machine. He's learning Puppy stuff at a high rate. You have to be really careful with a pup, it's not hard to squash their drive when they are young so you have to learn your dog and when to move on or stop everything. Keeping his attitude and spirit peaked is the only REAL goal until he starts Formal Basics.

I don't know your knowledge of Dog Training so it's hard for me to explain everything he's capable of doing at this point. I mean some folks see him and sit there with their mouth open at what he can do, more experienced folks just give a good nod of being impressed, Pro Trainers give the wink. Know what I mean?

An example of what he knows (Field Work wise) is that I can 'SIT' him, walk out in front of him 20-30 yards, throw a bumper and at the apex of the throw, fire my .22(blank), wait until it hits the ground for 2-3 seconds, give him his 'CHET!!' Command(which means he's released from the SIT), he takes off like a rocket, picks it up and brings it back to me. I'm know Pro, but I study Dog Training furiously. For a 4 month old meat Dog to do that is QUITE an accomplishment. Add another year or more of training and you can just about imagine what he'll be capable of. To be honest, I think he could pass a JH/SHR Test in another month, but I won't run him until I KNOW he can pass 'Seasoned', which might not be until next Spring after Duck Season. I'm working towards running him in the Cenla Fall August Hunt Test for his SHR Title. Just going to have to wait and see how he’s doing come August 1st. If there's one thing you can do wrong, it's push a Dog too fast.

Ribbons and all that jazz will come, but sometimes they may come at the cost of your dog's training. Meaning I know plenty of people, PLENTY! I say; that run their dogs too early just so they can say their 6 month old won a title. Then they might pass 'Seasoned'. Maybe, most grab that one title and vanish. If they pursue further, Now they are pulling their hair out on the Master level. Why? B/c this whole time they let their ego train their dog. All those little things they let slip in training and in Hunt Test themselves, (creeping, floating, whinning, sitting crooked if at all, cheating etc.etc) will ALWAYS show up when you reach the Master Level. So now how good do you think they feel about running their dog early? I see it all day on Retriever Forums. Deep regret wishing they'd have waited to start running for titles. So at the very least, patience is the #1 attribute to learn as a Trainer.

and as always with these fine animals, the Trainer needs more help than the dog.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    His training is REALLY coming along. At 4 months he is very steady and understands 'Sit' means 'Sit' forever... or until told to move. I mean he obviously hasn't been tested to the max, he's a puppy but for a puppy he's a Rock Steady machine. He's learning Puppy stuff at a high rate. You have to be really careful with a pup, it's not hard to squash their drive when they are young so you have to learn your dog and when to move on or stop everything. Keeping his attitude and spirit peaked is the only REAL goal until he starts Formal Basics.

I don't know your knowledge of Dog Training so it's hard for me to explain everything he's capable of doing at this point. I mean some folks see him and sit there with their mouth open at what he can do, more experienced folks just give a good nod of being impressed, Pro Trainers give the wink. Know what I mean?

An example of what he knows (Field Work wise) is that I can 'SIT' him, walk out in front of him 20-30 yards, throw a bumper and at the apex of the throw, fire my .22(blank), wait until it hits the ground for 2-3 seconds, give him his 'CHET!!' Command(which means he's released from the SIT), he takes off like a rocket, picks it up and brings it back to me. I'm know Pro, but I study Dog Training furiously. For a 4 month old meat Dog to do that is QUITE an accomplishment. Add another year or more of training and you can just about imagine what he'll be capable of. To be honest, I think he could pass a JH/SHR Test in another month, but I won't run him until I KNOW he can pass 'Seasoned', which might not be until next Spring after Duck Season. I'm working towards running him in the Cenla Fall August Hunt Test for his SHR Title. Just going to have to wait and see how he’s doing come August 1st. If there's one thing you can do wrong, it's push a Dog too fast.

Ribbons and all that jazz will come, but sometimes they may come at the cost of your dog's training. Meaning I know plenty of people, PLENTY! I say; that run their dogs too early just so they can say their 6 month old won a title. Then they might pass 'Seasoned'. Maybe, most grab that one title and vanish. If they pursue further, Now they are pulling their hair out on the Master level. Why? B/c this whole time they let their ego train their dog. All those little things they let slip in training and in Hunt Test themselves, will ALWAYS show up when you reach the Master Level. So now how good do you think they feel about running their dog early? I see it all day on Retriever Forums. Deep regret wishing they'd have waited to start running for titles. So at the very least, patience is the #1 attribute to learn as a Trainer.

and as always with these fine animals, the Trainer needs more help than the dog.

I'd put my knowledge and experience in training field dogs at below the novice level. Starting to read up, watch videos, etc so I'm not starting from 0 knowledge when I pick up the pup in August. Watching a lot of youtube videos and pretty much the one thing they all press on is to let the pup have fun and get him excited at first. You're going to crush his spirit if you just make him work, work, work.

My wife is laughing at me for getting so excited about this dog, but I seriously can't wait to bring him home.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'd put my knowledge and experience in training field dogs at below the novice level. Starting to read up, watch videos, etc so I'm not starting from 0 knowledge when I pick up the pup in August. Watching a lot of youtube videos and pretty much the one thing they all press on is to let the pup have fun and get him excited at first. You're going to crush his spirit if you just make him work, work, work.

My wife is laughing at me for getting so excited about this dog, but I seriously can't wait to bring him home.

Well then you're already a step ahead. Lots of folks get labs, and then decide what to do.

I'll give you the names of the Channels on Youtube I subscribe to that are Retriever Related.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was thinking an American Bulldog pup named Smedley after General Smedley Butler who wrote War is a Racket.

Cute pup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I had a yellow Lab, had to give him up when he was less than 2 ... evil ex got him. I've had 1 chocolate and 1 black for years since then and I still don't think I could ever own another yellow one.

Great looking pup.

Top Bottom